Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ran, Died, Ran.

I checked the sticky---promise. Stunning drive Friday in 60 degree weather ended with a complete loss of power on the drive home. Lucky to have the wife walk the last mile to retrieve the Yukon with a tow strap so at the moment it is tucked away at home in the garage.

Fuel relays were good, fuel pump fuse as well and Bosch CD was making its usual high pitched sound while engine cranked but did not fire. Of course the engine fired right away several hours later.

Has anyone experienced an intermittent CD failure?

I appreciate help as weather is allowing some down time to get this taken care of.

TG
1986 930
Littleton, Co
Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, when they are going out they may start working intermittently, sometimes they get hot and stop working but will work again when cooled down.

Check all comnnections and especially the grounds/ ground straps to ensure clean contacts.

If not the CD the issue may be with your ignition switch, sometimes the contacts get worn.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A whole host of possibilities, as you read on our sticky on this topic. Are you absolutely certain the fuel pumps were running (you said the relays were good, but what do you mean by that)?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Could not hear the pumps due to nearby traffic but did swap relays around during the no start issue. I could smell fuel while the engine was cranking.

Can the pumps fail on an intermittent basis?

Thanks for the replies.

TG
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

When the Cdi is going it can overload the fp relays and fry the pumps in an extreme situation (my old car), I'd put in a good permatune box and coil and be done with it. I ultimately had to do the full Monty; pumps, relays, Cdi and coil to fix mine. Rebuilding the old Bosch units is good money after bad IMO, the electronics in the permatune and msd are much better (modern).

Last edited by Tt surgeon; 01-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
When the Cdi is going it can overload the fp relays and fry the pumps
OK TT, you're gonna have to 'splain the pathology behind that one. True, a bad cdi will never fire and the pumps will just run and run as you crank the engine. So what...pumps are made to run. Whether or not she fires won't (shouldn't) put any undo stress on the pumps or relays I wouldn't think (but then, I don't always "think" as I should). Please elucidate your experiences.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

non-whiner

Classic coil failure. Cold works fine, heats up and dies, cools off and runs perfectly. Always carry a spare coil.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If Littleton is Littleton, Colorado and if your CDI is of the 6 pin variety, I have both a CDI and coil you can try.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I've gone native

Mark, mine was an extreme case, overheating, stop n go traffic, 100 degrees, everything started overheating and failing, snowball effect. It was a mess. All of the above items were extensively heat damaged or melted, horrible day on the Long Island expressway in a black slant on a Friday afternoon in July......
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Mark, mine was an extreme case, overheating, stop n go traffic, 100 degrees, everything started overheating and failing, snowball effect. It was a mess. All of the above items were extensively heat damaged or melted, horrible day on the Long Island expressway in a black slant on a Friday afternoon in July......
Sounds like a memorable July afternoon when tempers soar and road rage rules. Good time for a beer or 6 once you get her safely home.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I've gone native

Several beers.....
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It is Littleton,Co and thanks for the offer on the coil. Think I will buy one from our host as it is never been replaced.

A failing fuel pump would draw more amps and cook the fuse before it would quit then restart when cool?

TG
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8tg View Post
It is Littleton,Co and thanks for the offer on the coil. Think I will buy one from our host as it is never been replaced. TG
If it turns out that it's not the coil you'll be right where you are now. If you decide you want to borrow the coil and/or CDI to see if that's where your problem lies let me know and we'll figure out how to get them in your hands.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Will do on the loaner. I'm up in Golden quite a bit either at the Windy Saddle or up Lookout. I think I missed catching up to you last summer at the Mines car show and chatted with a guy with a very blue vette that knew you.

Almost had the 930 sold to a guy from out of state several weeks ago but it didn't go through and I couldn't be happier--even with the current minor issues.

TG
Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Oh yes. Not a blue Vette, but a silver`69 Vette with the bluest interior you've ever seen. I'm less than a mile from the Saddle.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

im with mark, CD has nothing to with pumps. you can run the pumps all day with the engine off and they are fine....as long as the return is working. the fuel flow cools the pumps.

the CD CAN get hot and not work then work when cooled down, so can the coil. in your case, i would have checked for spark. cuts trouble shooting in half.

if you suspect the pumps, you can reach around behind the AFM and pull the connector off the back of it and with the key on, the pumps will run.

another typical cause of your problems is the speed relay under the seat. they are prone to bad solder joints. pull it out and go over all the joints with a soldering iron. unless you know what you are looking for, this is best.

complete loss of power?
so you made the wife walk.....
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Just loss of power to the engine.

Wife was happier on a stroll vs trying to figure out if I was going to throw any tools---although that was years ago she can't seem to forget it.

So---ordering a coil,boost relay and 2 new pump relays. It seems that the CD can fail intermittently but it normally quits completely. Figure they are all good for carry along spares at the minimum.

Will check the speed relay so thanks for that idea as well.

This is the same uneasy feeling I had when my brother said he had a kidney stone. Never travel without Vicodin ever since.

Tg
1986 930
Littleton, Co
Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

me, it was kicking the bucket across the yard.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Seriously, you need to get a spare Bosch CDi while they are still affordable. You can't go wrong having one. Sadly, I do not recc the newer Permatune [Used to love them. May be higher tech but I gave up on the newer ones after multiple failures]. MSD is good, but not a simple swap in if you are on the road AND there are a lot of fakes on the market- Google is your friend if you are considering MSD.]

GL and keep the faith!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Some success. Let it idle in the garage and it quit after about 7 minutes. Got a chance to check spark which was good. Aiming at fuel relays and over boost relay at this point.
What else could it be?

TG
1986 930
Littleton, Co
Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: