Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
it's a variant of the "little old lady who only drove to church Sunday's" story
Hey now, those exist! Or at least they still did in 1990, when I bought a 1949 Plymouth Club Coupe with 32K miles on the clock. Had to change the original tires that were in bad shape but everything else was there. I still have the spark plugs I swapped out, because they might well have been theoriginal ones. At just shy of 39K today the car still retains its original headlights along with all the scrapes and scratches that were the result of the Braille-style of parking she employed when backing out of and pulling into her tiny one car garage as she approached, then passed the age at which she should've still been driving. Never fixed `em, never will ...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Criss View Post
This car has a lot more than 4k miles IMO and possible body damage. Look at engine bay under filter. Dirty/oily 4k miles? Take more miles than that to make it that messy!
Ignition key gurd faded...
Body bent next to master cylinder....
And has the fuel tank been stripped and refinished? Or is it the lighting???

Buyers beware on this one!!!

Seller says a little wreck with a moped in the right front, could be. It's had a good 1 on the left front, I'd bet $$$ on that.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
and totally agree - that type bs will only become more prevalent as the market skyrockets in coming time
)
Just see how many "numbers matching" Chevelles, GTOs, Roadrunners, etal are being offered in today's market. Seems as though more are numbers matching than not. Really? We hashed and trashed these cars, and when the motor broke - which it nearly always did - we'd find another from a wrecked sedan, swap out the heads and cams, bolt on all the crap we had bolted onto the other motor and go to town on the new one. Block (re)-stamping is prevalent in the Muscle Car world and when the counterfeiters learn the ways of Porsche stampings ... coming soon to a theater near you.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to blockhed
930 911 1986 Turbo Porsche
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhed View Post
that is a nice looking original car from what I can tell from the pics. I don't think it is worth quite the asking price, but the market will speak I supose.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

That's a nice car ! More like how a low miler should present.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
That's a nice car ! More like how a low miler should present.
Well I suppose the seller won't be able to use the phrase, "Never seen snow . . ."
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

And yet... We internet pundits are quick to speculate on ulterior motives, misrepresentations etc. And I agree: don't believe any odo claim that is not supported by documentation and/or presentation. But for an entertaining read, look at this thread on the FerrariChat site. An innocent guy posts a couple mos back about an 330 GTS sitting in his parents garage for 40 years. Skeptics pounce and impugn the guy's integrity and story page after page. But the car was legit, and now will be a Bonham's cover car in AZ this winter. At $1M it was the steal of the year.
It's cheap and easy to critique from the keyboard, but every 'barn find' has hair on it, and if you don't actually expend some effort to see beyond it, you'll miss opportunities...
what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage - FerrariChat.com
Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

My first, last and only barn find dream was a nightmare. A friend located an original owner 356 convertible. His mother played Bridge with her. He had to take down 2 large trees in front of the garage doorway before he could get it out then trailered it to my storage area. Then did the usual things to get it running after decades of non use. I wisely insisted we back it out before starting. When it started it blew mice nests across the road. My friend after just starting it, decided to take off and drive it to the car wash nearby. After just a few blocks the car veered ungainly to the side of the road ( brakes pulled badly) threw open the door and jumped out wildly as the mice ( huge ones) some up his pant legs and others followed with him. They must have been nesting in the chassis heater ducts and got scorched. "Barn finds" are sooo much fun.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-08-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Really good point not to jump to conclusions. The seller of this 4k mile car comes off as 'salesman' rather than an innocent guy. Big difference between someone is asking what to do with an old barn find, and someone selling a low mileage car for a likely profit.

That Ferrari story is amazing, and makes you wonder what else is lurking in someone's garage out there . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
And yet... We internet pundits are quick to speculate on ulterior motives, misrepresentations etc. And I agree: don't believe any odo claim that is not supported by documentation and/or presentation. But for an entertaining read, look at this thread on the FerrariChat site. An innocent guy posts a couple mos back about an 330 GTS sitting in his parents garage for 40 years. Skeptics pounce and impugn the guy's integrity and story page after page. But the car was legit, and now will be a Bonham's cover car in AZ this winter. At $1M it was the steal of the year.
It's cheap and easy to critique from the keyboard, but every 'barn find' has hair on it, and if you don't actually expend some effort to see beyond it, you'll miss opportunities...
what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage - FerrariChat.com
2013 X5 Diesel - Platinum Gray/Black
Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
I've gone native

Bids at 75k, probably sham bidding.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Yeah...looks suspicious. Mid 50s bidders looked legit(lots of feedback). Then jumps to 75k from 2 guys with "1" and 0 feedback.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Bids at 75k, probably sham bidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5aar View Post
Yeah...looks suspicious. Mid 50s bidders looked legit(lots of feedback). Then jumps to 75k from 2 guys with "1" and 0 feedback.
+1 +1 Definitely looks like ghost/sham bidders...

One thing I just noticed and had to point out... Nothing like a quality repair job!

Check out the wood screw or whatever it is holding on the passenger headlight trim ring - hahahha
Old 01-11-2014, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
I've gone native

Also the rusty screws under the windshield in the dash shot.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Man those mopeds must really pack a punch
Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
My first, last and only barn find dream was a nightmare. A friend located an original owner 356 convertible. His mother played Bridge with her. He had to take down 2 large trees in front of the garage doorway before he could get it out then trailered it to my storage area. Then did the usual things to get it running after decades of non use. I wisely insisted we back it out before starting. When it started it blew mice nests across the road. My friend after just starting it, decided to take off and drive it to the car wash nearby. After just a few blocks the car veered ungainly to the side of the road ( brakes pulled badly) threw open the door and jumped out wildly as the mice ( huge ones) some up his pant legs and others followed with him. They must have been nesting in the chassis heater ducts and got scorched. "Barn finds" are sooo much fun.
too funny.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
I emailed the guy . Asked about the two sham bidders. Asked if they were family or friends. Response was he has 8 phone contacts and will sell to one of them and not try to re-list. My conclusion- sham bidders.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
It seems a lot of these dealers are using ebay to "advertise" the sale rather than actually sell it. There is one dealer who posts on ebay a lot as well as here that sells every car through a phone call and not using the auction itself. A little shady doing business that way that is why they have 100% feedback If you do not buy it through ebay you cannot leave feedback
Old 01-12-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Guy also made a point of saying he never sold a car on ebay
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

One of the big bids must have been retracted. Back down to $54100 with 15 minutes left.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: