Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
4000 Mile 930 on ebay

Bidding already over 51K with 5 days left. I wonder why it was repainted with only 4000 miles. Aftermarket exhaust and wheels, looks like the dash is cracked and covered with the carpet mat. Looks like a nice car but I would rather have the one I have with 68K miles and original paint but I guess I am prejudiced.
Porsche 930 930 | eBay
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I've gone native

I saw that car, bet it hits 80k. Reserve met, multiple bids, already over 51k. Stealers are fighting over it like a pack of wild dogs with a kitty cat.
Watch, top gear or Sloan 100k.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice car
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Does look nice on the surface, but I've got all sorts of alarms going off in my head on this one. Any "serious" collector of over 40 cars would know how to properly care and feed this car, and that doesn't mean letting it sit for years and years undriven or unstarted. And a "to the metal" paint job should not have been close to necessary, even if a little oxidation was present from sitting inside in a dust covered undoubtedly not climate controlled environment. Does it really have only 4000 miles....hmmmm?

Guess I would have to see it in person and review what should be scads of documentation (I'm unusually skeptical tonight and should probably sign off). If this car has been as 'storage abused' as it would seem, it's gonna be a problem runner. But for the right person, may make a great garage queen.

But all that's ok....let's hope it sells for a hugely insane price to keep the value of the rest of ours where we want them to go!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

Agree w mark, I doubt that mileage. I was born at night, but not last night.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

It seems strange that owners that must not have had much desire to drive that car, spent money on those fugly wheels and the B&B looking muffler.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'll add to the skepticism-
Documentation means 'the car was driven for several years with the odometer non-op or disconnected. It only had a few owners who registered the car a few times. We fixed all the problems resprayed it and replaced the odometer to sell it as a low miles example'

My own limited experience with odometer rollback on 930s has made me very cynical. My car has repairs documenting higher than avg miles, which have faith in. but one potential candidate I looked at had a confessed rollback and another car had a 'clerical error' in the mileage from 101k back down to 70k after it was a theft recovery. Caveat emptor
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Some of these cars are getting old enough not to matter. Yes a low mile original example is going to fetch big $$$, but a fully (by this I mean better than factory) restored high mileage model is going to fetch close to the same if not more. When they are scarce and in demand those things don't matter as much, how many people do you know ask for fully documented miles on a 356, or better yet a speedster...

I do agree with the skeptics above though...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OG

Garage
This car has a lot more than 4k miles IMO and possible body damage. Look at engine bay under filter. Dirty/oily 4k miles? Take more miles than that to make it that messy!
Ignition key gurd faded...
Body bent next to master cylinder....
And has the fuel tank been stripped and refinished? Or is it the lighting???

Buyers beware on this one!!!
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Look at the rear pic, it could be the camera angle but it looks like the right tail light has negative camber…they don't leave the factory like that.

things that make you go hmmmm.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

More things that make you go "hmmmmm" considering the claimed low mileage - non OEM spark plug leads and ignition box, and bent/dented smugglers box door (near where Chris noted the possible bend at the brake booster panel).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-06-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
that RR corner light is def wonky

is the front hood not latched, or?

and the RF upper smile looks to be an off fit once reinstalled from the paint job

cracked dash and faded key surround, I can see - FL sun

wheels / radio - bleh

odo unplugs are beyond too easy to do - title says 900 in 91, so would have been from the outset

agreed, 40car owners store their cars rightfully - trickle chargers and fulltime caretakers IME (fargin sneaky bastages!)

see/touch/feel can typically easily verify 4k vs. 40k, tough to do digitally

funny, lotta blues coming out of the woodwork lately it seems - go figger

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've gone native

Car may be 200% legit, but questions do arise. ESP concerning are the bends under the bonnet and lack of option sticker.

Last edited by Tt surgeon; 01-06-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The story about an old German collector dusting off the cars at night while he sips schnapps and walks his Dachshund sounds very romantic but it's just not the case. In this day and age of the internet and google it amazes me these used car dealers try and spin these tales. What actually constitutes a collection is also debatable. I looked at one 930, supposedly held in a "local collection", a quick google search revealed it residing at a sleezy used car lot a few months prior....I guess that's sort of a collection.
Take the emotion out and look at the car in front of you. Here is a 930 with supposedly 4000 miles, yet the condition does not support the claim. It will require a good ppi, these cars are hot right now and there is a lot of money at stake. There are too many questions at this point in time.
'86 930
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I've gone native

Agree w Doug, it's entirely possible the odometer hasn't functioned in twenty years......
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Schnapps / Dachshund - bwha!

totally agree, it's a variant of the "little old lady who only drove to church Sunday's" story

and totally agree - that type bs will only become more prevalent as the market skyrockets in coming time

not to suggest that's what's going on here - I do always try to temper my jadedness (I'm with you Mark, and likely your I'm guessing Scotches? last night lol) with a dose of "if it were me offering a real car with a real story would I appreciate it ripped to shreds on thar intarwebz?"... btdt a couple times on these boards, no fun at all battling keyboard jockeys

however, if it quacks like a duck... (it's probably tasty on my plate?)

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

its easy to pull the ODO out and check the date stamp on it as well. its a really fun conversation with the seller when an 86 turbo has a ODO from 88, "so that explains the wear on the drivers bolster"

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I recently had my odometer fixed after i froze it hitting the re set button while driving. When i took it out i could see how easy it is to embelish miles driven. I go by the driver side seat for the mileage test these days. I notice there is not a good driver's seat image in the ad.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

It is convient how all the stories of these cars can easily be explained away. Oh there is a mark on the vin report? UM yeah it was hit by a moped in the 80s. What a happy coincidence it is the mildest and least likely type of accidentimaginable

It should be easy to verify the low milage on a lift. My car is a legitimate 30k mile car. It is 84 and we have had it the family since late 84. That being said the paint isnt prestine and I still had to recover the seats and dash. My dad left it outside for a decade or so.

However, underneth the car it is easy to tell by the lack of grime, the brake rotors are original with no lipping, the pads are original, etc. I think you could tell in an hour if the 4k is legit, but I certainly wouldent buy a 930 sight unseen. Hell Id have a tough time buying a used 30k mile automatic civic
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Could this be a real eBay bidding, or is is Memorex? Imagine getting a bunch of your "dealer friends" together to run the value up on this car, then the owner decides to close the bidding because he had it listed for local sale as well. Or, the high bidder welches on the deal and does not pay up. I don't think there's any legal binding thing that can force deadbeat bidders to cough up the cash....they just get a black star against their name.

So you run the value up, then claim a deadbeat bidder (jor local purchase that went sour), then post it again and watch the bidding wars begin.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: