Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1974 911 your help!!!

Good day all
I need your support and advice about a porsche 911 1974 in original body and everything except the engine it was replaced by subaru 4 cylinder engine to be water cooled engine with a/c.

The engine was replaced since one year and it was for daily use.

The car white exterior and red color interior.

The price asking 9000$ what do you think is it good deal???
Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I'd love to see more. $9k seems high for conversion car unless it's high hp turbo etc..
Hows rust issues? More pics?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well its non-turbo and the car is free off rust except very minor from the bottom of the windshield
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Great color combo. Looks original inside but the rear fenders have been widened and the rear bumper et's are updated to the uglier bigger units that the 1974 didn't come with. it makes me wonder why and what else has changed. Obviously the engine mods are extreme. What mods are not reversible? You now have a radiator, where and how is it plumbed etc.
the engine is worthless if you ask me but I'm sure it has some value, not as much as 911 though. I'd say you have a $7500 car and some work and cost to bring it back. It's probably a fine driver, but it's not a 911 till it has a flat 6 air cooled engine. I'm sure it sounds fine with the flat 4.
The car needs to have the 6 back eventually so make sure it is reversible unless you get it cheep. Dint overlook the color combo though. It does look like a good car. I'd be a buyer fir the right price and I'm sure others would be too. Check it out good. Where are water hoses routed and what was cut.
Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Keep in mind that the engine while serviceable is a compromise in this application. I'm sure it needed engine work which would have been costlier to do than this engine. Compromise.
Great looking un-original body car. There is a story somewhere. Look deeper. How's the title look?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had rust on a '91 C2 Targa at the bottom left side of the windshield. It was around $1k to have a shop fix it. If you can't do bodywork, it is pretty pricey.

It could be a pretty fun project but the dollars in will not be recovered if you try to sell it later. Finding a mechanic who can care and feed it might be a bit of a challenge. I had a great mechanic for my 930 and he moved so even if you have the guy now, you might not have him later. I would guess that there is a lot of custom plumbing going on there as already mentioned.

If you are like the rest of us, you will get the bug and want to have a 911 that actually has the correct motor. An 80'3 911SC or Carrera with some miles on it can be had for $15-$25k and should not cost any more to care and feed. The '84-'89 3.2 Carrera's are probably the most reliable, care free 911's ever built.

If you plan to correct the '74, you will have at least $15-$20k in the car. It would be a good platfom to build a race car out of.

It is a pretty car though.

Good luck,

Mark

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 01-18-2014, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for your replay and appreciate your support.
Until now I'm thinking to buy it I like the body work but engine no I didn't to be honest.

Still confused !!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: