Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
What in the heck would there be to talk about in a keep it factory stock forum? "What car cover is best for long term storage?"

^^^^^^ bwahahahahahaaAaaa
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Quote:
What in the heck would there be to talk about in a keep it factory stock forum? "What car cover is best for long term storage?"
Don't forget "Who still has Stuttgart air in their tires" polls.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I've never ever understood the "stock is best crowd". I've been in and out of PCA partly because of that. Back in again but basically because Panorama is worthy now. Do the q tip crowd drive these cars as they were intended?

May be just me but every single time I get the 930 out I exercise that waste gate and I can't imagine who wouldn't want to if they had that lonely stretch of virgin highway waiting to be exploited
Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I enjoy this forum the way it is, with the mixed traffic of stock AND modded cars.
Now and again I glance at the Rennlist 930 forum and it seems really quiet.
I think we've got it right.

Iain
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I'm fine with the way it is. I am even fine seeing the shift in sentiment regarding valuations this forum has been in my estimation the group chiefly responsible for driving pricing for 930's down

it is all good now.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeoni View Post
Just a request. The time has come. This forum focuses too much on modifying. I believe there are those who favor keeping the cars as they were meant. Why don't we deserve a dedicated 930 forum? I know this will offend some but all this modifying is not true to originality. I know I will get flamed for this but the time has come. We need a dedicated 930 forum. We can still have a supercharging forum. But we need a 930 forum 75/89.
Don't worry about what others think...I give you credit just writing this.

We do however have a lot of people who are of the belief because they own a Porsche and a set of Snap-On tools, they are smarter than the guys who actually made the car... Pride always comes before the fall, and that's just not financial.

No wonder the real 930's are climbing through the roof in terms of value, probably because there are so few that just have not been left bone stock(highest resale value)
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Sure.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-18-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
We do however have a lot of people who are of the belief because they own a Porsche and a set of Snap-On tools, they are smarter than the guys who actually made the car... Pride always comes before the fall, and that's just not financial.
So says the Einstein with a turbo engine in a non-turbo 911 - pot & kettle comes to mind.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
This forum is excellent as is. The experience and knowledge is awesome. I love the blend of postings.
Please do nothing which will cause interest to cease. My car is standard apart from a K27 , exhaust and Adjustable WUR. Is this classed as modified or sweetened.

Thanks to all posters as I have had tremendous help from you guys.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

this sub forum is already low volume. i can't imagine how slow an original 930 forum would be without any interesting builds to liven it up. you've all got a common platform it makes sense to cross talk ideas from both corners.
if this offends the sensibilities of the OP then they can simply not click on any thread that doesn't relate to making the porsche crest on the stock wheels all point the same direction etc

Last edited by clutch-monkey; 01-19-2014 at 05:05 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
We do however have a lot of people who are of the belief because they own a Porsche and a set of Snap-On tools, they are smarter than the guys who actually made the car...
...and then we also have people who clearly don't know what they are talking about and make stupid statements like this^

So let's talk about secondary air injection, exhaust gas recirculation, thermal reactors, idle timing set at 10 degrees ATDC, half-finned cylinders, trombone oil cooler. These are all things that my '79 rolled off the assembly with. Absolutely none of the them can be described as "smart" from an engineering standpoint, in fact they are detrimentalto performance and longevity. Everything but the trombone cooler was a band-aid for emissions purposes, and robbed the car of performance, plus added heat to an engine package already near its thermal limits. Heat is the enemy of the air cooled Porsche engine. More heat = shorter engine life. Speaking of heat, how about that trombone oil cooler. Its woefully inadequate to control oil temps on the 930.

So...assuming you actually wish to drive your 930 the way it was "meant to be driven" is it "smart" to leave everything just as it came from the factory?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
if this offends the sensibilities of the OP then they can simply not click on any thread that doesn't relate to making the porsche crest on the stock wheels all point the same direction etc
There are modified cars, cars that are genuinely bone-stock and cars whose owners try to make look bone stock. Kinda like being brand-new, I maintain that, other than the most elementary of maintenance items, a car is only completely stock once.

All marques have their Nazis. I bought a rust-bucket `70 GTO 455 that I restored to a pretty high standard (particularly given that it was done 100% by me, in my garage, working on it late at night so as not to interfere with family time). Was always very popular at local shows - except for our resident GTO Nazi, well known in the GTO community on a national level - judging at national events etc. The first time I met him he was quick to point out all the things I'd done wrong on my car (which I built to my preferences and specifications). He bade me come with him to see his "National Award Winning `70 GTO" so he could show me how I should have restored it. I looked at his car and asked him whether the brand-new-looking stickers on the air cleaner and radiator shroud were original to the car. What about the chalk writing on the firewall that looked like some Detroit auto worker had just put there last week? Were these original to the car or had he put them there? He acknowledged he'd applied them (or more correctly, the restoration shop he'd paid $60K+ to build the car applied them). When asked, he also acknowledged the car had new floorboards, new lower rockers, new dash pad, new interior and, well, pretty much new everything that goes into a complete restoration.

"Ya know, however it might appear to the average guy visiting a car show, your car is as unoriginal as mine", I told him.

He never commented on my car again ...

Last edited by nkowi; 01-19-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
If this was strictly a date-coded, numbers-matching crowd, I wouldn't be here either. After 11 years of it now, sure I skip over the "new zork tube," and the "what oil", "what rim width" threads, but it's the home-brewed threads that I come back for because I always learn something.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Perfectly worded! I drive mine as much as possible [6k last year] and when folks look at it [inside and out] everything brings them back to the 1980's or a poster they had on their wall in college... I love this forum because it helps me keep the beast on the road [for all to enjoy] and not under a cover for a few of my friends to see...

Quote:

Last edited by mooney265; 01-19-2014 at 08:45 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
I'd rather full colo-rectal exam than be subjected to an "originality" forum. Those posts are nauseating in and of themselves as it stands - let along a whole section's worth full.

>GASP<

I find that those who have DIY their t/c or s/c 911 are more technically oriented and also present creative solutions / alternatives to remedy things. I enjoy that perspective. (Note I said DIY their t/c, not one who wrote a check and had it installed... hmmmmmm. No use for hot air opinions coming from them).

I lol'd a bit @ the wheel crest pointing the right way. I once had a friend point that out on my car, and I wanted to heb!tch manslap him upside the head.

Q-tip crowd.... ha! Noooooooooooo thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

Further roflmao @ the R-List mentions. Sigh. That place is painful painful painful... no thanks / to each his own.

Lastly, totally agreed w/ Tim's 'sweetened' remark and Jakester's sentiments above. Exactly. Stock - honestly - kinda sorta pretty much blows.

So I shoulda kept my car stock to allegedly "preserve it's collector status"? Um, yeah. It's a 60k driver. BFD. Now it's 100000% better, more drivable, more awesomer. And when it comes to resale, buyers in the know will appreciate / value that.

anywho... my useless $0.00002

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
I'd rather full colo-rectal exam than be subjected to an "originality" forum. Those posts are nauseating in and of themselves as it stands - let along a whole section's worth full.

>GASP<

I find that those who have DIY their t/c or s/c 911 are more technically oriented and also present creative solutions / alternatives to remedy things. I enjoy that perspective. (Note I said DIY their t/c, not one who wrote a check and had it installed... hmmmmmm. No use for hot air opinions coming from them).

I lol'd a bit @ the wheel crest pointing the right way. I once had a friend point that out on my car, and I wanted to heb!tch manslap him upside the head.

Q-tip crowd.... ha! Noooooooooooo thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

Further roflmao @ the R-List mentions. Sigh. That place is painful painful painful... no thanks / to each his own.

Lastly, totally agreed w/ Tim's 'sweetened' remark and Jakester's sentiments above. Exactly. Stock - honestly - kinda sorta pretty much blows.

So I shoulda kept my car stock to allegedly "preserve it's collector status"? Um, yeah. It's a 60k driver. BFD. Now it's 100000% better, more drivable, more awesomer. And when it comes to resale, buyers in the know will appreciate / value that.

anywho... my useless $0.00002

Pretty much nailed it
Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I think this has turned into a vote on modified vs stock thread, instead of a keeping an original car original thread.

For instance, if your 6 pin CD box fails, how do you get it fixed? Being told "buy and MSD 6AL" is not really answering that question. There is a guy in the 911 forum that has the schematics for the 6 pin CD box, and knows how to fix them. That kind of stuff is what we are talking about. You put that on the current forum, and it gets zero views.

Also, a stock car doesn't mean it does not get driven, it just means that is driven stock.

I think a 930 forum would be great for all kind of issues, the automatic heater, the footwell blowers, replacements for bilstein shocks, how to get the rear trailing arm bearings out. All stuff that would be nice to gather in one forum. Seems it would help the host too, since they sell mainly stock parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeoni View Post
Just a request. The time has come. This forum focuses too much on modifying. I believe there are those who favor keeping the cars as they were meant. Why don't we deserve a dedicated 930 forum? I know this will offend some but all this modifying is not true to originality. I know I will get flamed for this but the time has come. We need a dedicated 930 forum. We can still have a supercharging forum. But we need a 930 forum 75/89.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
No, I don't think it's turned into that at all.

and

I'm not seeing how the issues you use as example above are not in place and answered / addressed / welcomed here in this forum as exists? How would being 930-specific change that?

Are we viewing the same forum? 8-)

Kinda 1/2 kidding here (kinda)... but R-List already serves the show'nshiner keep it original crowd... who may be / seem to be somehow offended by the mixture of the t/c & s/c element.

No offense or anything...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

rennlist turbo forum is like that mostly stock and garage queens. I'm over here because i like to do more than wax my car and look at it.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
^don't forget^ home of cheeky gheyarse pet names for all of their cars, and color-coded signatures

>PUKE<

and

don't limit it to just the turbo forum there 8-)

Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: