Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
My Vote: Keep it the same.

Nice balance of mods and stocks in here keeps things interesting.
1964 Nova Resto Mod show car
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Relocated clock.
Yep...

That is a Clock in the passenger door and a CHT gauge in the driver door. They also put an amp and volt meter in the center console. I am not sure if it is a RUF Option or an Ultra-Smith Option.

They also did an extra window switch on each side that does the one touch up and down thing.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
I've had the 911 hot-rod, and absolutely loved it. Next to getting married to my ex-wife, selling the 911 was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

With the 930, however, I'm enjoying that she is all original (if a tad... patina'ed in places). I understand the OP sentiment, for what I want with the 930, Ferrarichat's thread is great, but not mechanically oriented, while here we have a lot of mods I end up flipping through that aren't relative to my interests with this particular car.

In an ideal world, I'd actually like a Pelican 930 section about maintaining and ascertaining correct configuration. I do appreciate, however, that it would be lightly visited. I would also probably still frequent this forum, too. Just not sure that questions about originality such as the differences between air pumps, where to source P7 tires, and the minutiae that differentiates a '76 vs a '77 rear hub generates all that favourable of a response here.

At any rate, I am forever thankful for what Pelican does offer.
1977 Turbo Carrera Black on Red #411
1987 951 Black on Black - sold to make room for the 930
1972 911 2.7 (RS P's and C's, solex camshafts, Weber's, ST suspension) - I regret selling her every single day....
Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

A 930 forum talking about maintenance for stock cars and appreciating figures for collectors?
Can you say borrrrrring more than once.

Sorry I guess it's just me.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloTurbo View Post
A 930 forum talking about maintenance for stock cars and appreciating figures for collectors?
Can you say borrrrrring more than once.

Sorry I guess it's just me.
Didn't I just say that earlier?

"Rennlist seems to focus lately on selling cars, or determining value. Boring, for me anyway.

So, a dedicated stock 930 forum....hmmm. What would we discuss, something like : "My 930 is stock and hey, so is yours! Wow, how cool is that! Let's talk about the things we can do to our 930's...ugh...nothing!"

If you want to know how to keep your 930 alive, with or without mods, this is the forum to belong to.
"

So, have we sufficiently flamed the original poster yet? He seems strangely absent from further comment. All in fun, kids, each to his own. A forum about 930's is....well....a forum about 930's. Don't read the stuff about mods, but do read about the care and feeding if that's all you need to know.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
A forum about 930's is....well....a forum about 930's. Don't read the stuff about mods, but do read about the care and feeding if that's all you need to know.
that's exactly it. they're all 930's.. if you can't find something in here that will help, you're not going to find it if you suddenly shrink the forum down
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
I've gone native

The forum is already a great mix, just call it the "930 forum", drop the sc/ax.
C
Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
I think this has turned into a vote on modified vs stock thread, instead of a keeping an original car original thread.

For instance, if your 6 pin CD box fails, how do you get it fixed? Being told "buy and MSD 6AL" is not really answering that question. There is a guy in the 911 forum that has the schematics for the 6 pin CD box, and knows how to fix them. That kind of stuff is what we are talking about. You put that on the current forum, and it gets zero views.

Also, a stock car doesn't mean it does not get driven, it just means that is driven stock.

I think a 930 forum would be great for all kind of issues, the automatic heater, the footwell blowers, replacements for bilstein shocks, how to get the rear trailing arm bearings out. All stuff that would be nice to gather in one forum. Seems it would help the host too, since they sell mainly stock parts.
When I have a technical question, I usually post in the 911 forum. For a lot of the car, there is no, or very little difference.

Also, very few have 930s, most of us here have 911 Turbos anyway. j/k
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=Aggie93;7867573

Also, very few have 930s, most of us here have 911 Turbos anyway. j/k[/QUOTE]

Saying you do not have a 930 but a 911 Turbo is the same thing as someone saying they do not have a 964 but a 911. Marketing made everything a 911.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
I am pretty sure the "J/K" in his comment indicated he was being sarcastic and busting balls. We could do without the smarty pants reply, that particular point has been beaten to death "ad nauseam" as they say.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJL View Post
Don't forget "Who still has Stuttgart air in their tires" polls.
Thank you...thank was a good laugh!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Man you guys are harsh! I confess I don't understand the haters: the Stuttgart air guys are car lovers too, just a different tribe. But this thread certainly highlights the cultural differences and orientations of different forums, and the restoration/originality debates are alive and well at rList and FChat. Or for extremists, over at the AACA forum...

PS: this discussion has only just started as a new generation of Porsches ages into socio-cultural automotive anthropological relevance. (yes I just said that) Lot's of new owners are going to spend time and money peeling off the layers of mods that enthusiasts have obsessed over for the last few decades!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
Man you guys are harsh! I confess I don't understand the haters: the Stuttgart air guys are car lovers too, just a different tribe. But this thread certainly highlights the cultural differences and orientations of different forums, and the restoration/originality debates are alive and well at rList and FChat. Or for extremists, over at the AACA forum...

PS: this discussion has only just started as a new generation of Porsches ages into socio-cultural automotive anthropological relevance. (yes I just said that) Lot's of new owners are going to spend time and money peeling off the layers of mods that enthusiasts have obsessed over for the last few decades!
I disagree that there will be lots of new owners de-modifying a well modified cars. A few, yes, but not lots. Take a look at classic American cars...it seems a majority of classic cars are modified to some degree.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

^ I agree
Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Lets hope that does not come to be as it is a troubling prediction regarding the future state of the 930 world - an onslaught of pencil-Richarded, wanna-be car "enthusiasts" that think that reducing the car's performance is actually a good thing.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Right on.
Already happening in the "Long Hood" Porsche world Most all the short hoods or being pulled off and the original long hoods going back on and the whale tails and flares are coming off and people even want the original less HP. engines back in them.
There will always be a place for the 356 "outlaws" and the Rgrouppes and the modded 930's but eventually when the newer turbo Porsche is cheaper and much better performance than the playing with a 40 year car. Only the very wealthy will modd a 930. Just like today only wealthy modd a SWB Porsche to go fast. The rest of us have to buy newer cheaper Porsche's.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Any time the money gets big, "they" come out of the woodwork. Creepy.

I don't mind concours types... or money types, aka "collectors" [which is really what started this].

What I DO mind is when the inevitable self righteous start suggesting that their way is the only true way and we enthusiasts are somehow downgrading these wonderful beasts.

It is fun to remind them that Ferry Porsche was bemused by the [mostly American] obsession with taking a performance machine, polishing it up nicer than when it left the factory, and proudly proclaiming how little it was being used. Of course, when I have reminded these types [not the genuine ..but misguided --ha- enthusiasts, but the newbie "investment" folks] ... they generally haven't a clue about what the the cars, history, Porsche family.. or any of the important things are about but they sure do know about what everything costs. If the new $$$ market collapses, they will flee like rag dolls in a storm.

Leave it alone. It is real with minimal fluff.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
What the heck is a 930? My owner's manual refers to it as a 911 Turbo. I think the 930 thing is just a silly 'Merican thang.

I keep mine mostly stock because I already have a track monster and the 300+ HP is plenty for me to get ice cream or groceries. I do like the mods most folks are doing to their cars. It drives up the asking price for examples like mine......

I agree with others that "I thought this was the 930 Forum".

just my $0.02
1974 914-6 3.2, GT -(Red).......| 1974 914 - Unit Body (TBD)
1971 914 (TBD).....................|
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman001 View Post
What the heck is a 930? My owner's manual refers to it as a 911 Turbo. I think the 930 thing is just a silly 'Merican thang.
LOL...930 was actually a "Weissach thang" vs. "Merican thang."
Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman001 View Post

I agree with others that "I thought this was the 930 Forum".

just my $0.02

Look at the VIN, it'll tell you what you have. BTW, nice car!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: