Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Nuts and Bolts

Hi guys Ive removed the long rusted strut from the front suspension i had to bend to get it off , then as i was undoing the suspension holder? bolt that snapped, so i tried a remover, then that snapped , then i managed to dremel that out but then the next one snapped in there i need to get them out from both sides so i may put another bar there across the front of the undercarriage.. is it ok to just angle grind the hell out of it sacrificing the threaded area the bolts hold onto and replace with bolts AND Nuts? Tools are limited, i dont have a welder,
Is it ok to just drill all the way through? i feel if i do the thread will be damaged, i have long Nuts and bolts , maybe i could replace with them?

This is the long bar i removed,
and will need to replace anyone know what its called?

This is the bolt i need to fix/replace , its the one under the battery shelf

Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
That bar is there to protect the ac condenser under the front. It's called "impact protection" in the PET, part no: 911 573 055 00

Your part no may vary based on the year of your car...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for that..
As i have removed the ac condenser out of front does the part serve any other purpose? ie; stabilise from chassis flex at the front end?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't think it stiffens up the chassis, but it is sure good to have when you go down a steep driveway. It can make a horrible scraping sound when you hit something, but imagine what damage it prevents to your pan.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I know how that feels.
ive still got the problem of a bolt seized in there along with a screw extractor
all the bits are either too loose or done up too tight, extremely frustrating working on these sometimes
Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
That serves as NO suspension aid at all, just extra weight in the car after you have removed the A/C.

Extended toe hooks work far better for scrape protection, available from our host.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 01-22-2014 at 01:41 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you drill out the threaded boss thats welded into the front suspension pan than I guess all you can do is put a longer bolt through it and put a washer and nylock nut on it. Seems like that would work ok.
The other two behind it are where the front control arm bushing mount is bolted to the suspension pan. If you remove those bolts I would spray some penetrating oil on them first and let it soak for a while so they don't break off. If that doesn't work try heat from a torch but that will burn up the undercoating and paint around there.

It's a good idea to coat those front suspension bolts and the rear springplate cover bolts with grease or antisieze before installing them so they don't corrode into place.

good luck with it.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If you drill out the threaded boss thats welded into the front suspension pan than I guess all you can do is put a longer bolt through it and put a washer and nylock nut on it. Seems like that would work ok.
The other two behind it are where the front control arm bushing mount is bolted to the suspension pan. If you remove those bolts I would spray some penetrating oil on them first and let it soak for a while so they don't break off. If that doesn't work try heat from a torch but that will burn up the undercoating and paint around there.

It's a good idea to coat those front suspension bolts and the rear springplate cover bolts with grease or antisieze before installing them so they don't corrode into place.

good luck with it.
Thanks for that info.
Its funny as the bolt WAS removing when i was taking it off to get the remains of the front bar off ( see pic) but it stopped halfway and then snapped in two , one half fell on the ground and other half still in there , also it was not rusted in anyway so it might have been cross threaded, i dont know im no mechanic, i just want a roof ,

And You know the bolts that hold the Manifold to the top of the engine...?
all and everyone of them finger tight! i could undo each one with just my hand unbelievable

I think ill have to drop the engine to check rest of pathways for tightness etc,,more things to do while sorting out a roof, oh well back to it
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: