Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ported K27 7006

Yesterday I took the compressor cover off my K27 7006 I'm not using at the moment and flared out the inlet with carbide burs and sandpaper cones on a die grinder. Then finished it off by hand with 1200 grit sandpaper. I also flared and smoothed out the inside of the outlet a little too.
Now I have to source a new red silicone o-ring for the groove around the outer edge of the backplate for it. The one that was on it is toast.

You see Garret turbo's with a smoother more flared out inlet side and the the hybrid Garret and K27 HFS turbos do too. They just look like they would flow more air and be more efficiant while the old K27 7200 and 7006 turbos are kind of blunt on the inlet side.
It probably won't make any difference in performance I'll notice if I put it on the car again but I got satisfaction from doing it and I like how it looks better than before.

Currently I have a K27 7200 HFS hybrid rebuilt by Durabilt on the car that comes on a few hundered rpms earlier and has a little less lower rpm turbo lag than a K27 7006 because of the smaller 7200 hot side housing and turbine wheel.

So I took a few pics of it a little while ago.. it's 59 degrees and sunny with low humidity in S. Florida today.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Nice Jim. I don't want to talk about the weather...its 9 deg in northern MD.
Who do you deal with at durabilt?
I have a small turbo problem.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
it's 59 degrees and sunny with low humidity in S. Florida today
EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWE

!!!!!!!!

8-)

-20* w/ windchill, shoveled 4-6" on my 120' driveway to go to work today... I have H1's... but my snowblower is still broken 8-/. Priorities!

Nice job on the P&P. Should you ever consider selling the 7200, give me a holler. It's probably on my medium/longer-term to-do list...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks. Yeah I had my K27 7200 HFS rebuilt by Durabilt around 4-5 years ago and they did a real good job. I didn't install it until last spring or summer. Durabilt is considered the best in the country by race teams and people in the know.
I called them and asked if they have just the big o-ring for the backplate. A good used one would be fine with me and they said they'll call back with what they find.

Then I searched online and found a new one in the USA for $5.99 shipped so I'll go for what's cheapest.

I bought my K27 7006 used around 5 or 6 years ago and it has always worked great and never smoked. I doubt it has ever been rebuilt but I don't know. I like it better than the K27 7200 HFS because it makes a nice turbo whistle out the exhaust as it spools up and the 7200 doesn't. The 7006 comes on a few hundred rpm higher than the 7200 but it seems stronger at high rpms.

While talking to the guy at Durabilt he said the new turbo technology now is super light ceramic compressor wheels that spool up faster than aluminum ones but he said if anything hard get ingested they will shatter and make a real mess of things.

edit: it's up to 61 degrees now

Last edited by JFairman; 01-22-2014 at 10:58 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWE

!!!!!!!!

8-)

-20* w/ windchill, shoveled 4-6" on my 120' driveway to go to work today... I have H1's... but my snowblower is still broken 8-/. Priorities!
I'd offer to sell you my snowblower but it's not worth what it would cost to ship it to you. I bought it 20 years ago at an estate auction non-running for $20 (it was an antique even then), laid my hands upon it to get it running, and haven't spent a dime on it since. Damn thing won't die. I've got probably 3000 sq ft of driveway on an uphill slope that in ordinary years I would be blowing, but this year the snow gods have shat upon us and we've seen a grand total of about 1" so far. Seriously entertaining bringing the 930 out of her winter slumber, but for the goo they spread on the roads for the relentless fog-created ice.

Cool work on the 7006 Jim. I'm in the process of pulling mine off and slapping on a 7200 to see which I like best.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yeah it was cold here today also not as cold as up north where you live Jim. Yesterday though was doing some work on my car parts and actually had to change out of the shorts and flip flops. But it was from the mosquitoes chewing on my feet not because of the cold lol
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well, Bob at Durabilt called back and they want 20 bucks for the big red silicone k27 backplate o-ring. Screw that, I found one on ebay for 6 bucks shipped.
It even comes with another smaller o-ring I don't need. Email notification say's I might get it Saturday... cool!
I'll be sure to smear a little silicone grease KY jelly on it before pushing the compressor cover on.

If anyone ever needs that o-ring for the best price I found here's the ebay link.
2 O Ring K27 turbocharger Turbo Rebuild Rebuilt Kit | eBay
Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice job Jim. I did something similar with a k27 years ago. It is bitter here in Hanover Pa. to be sure. I am finishing up install on a GT3582r and watching the snow freeze, come on spring!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cool Jim! I run the old school 7006 and love it. Seeing your port job has given me a new winter project up here in Canada. I see value in the effort.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You now have a 7006 based K27S Jim. Let us know if the mod knocks off a couple hundred RPM of lag.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

It looks sorta similar now but I think the UMW K27S has a 3" OD flared inlet on the compressor cover and my 7006 still has a 2.75" OD inlet that's flared more on the ID now. I'm hoping what I did makes a little improvement.

It's been off and on cool here in S. Florida the last couple weeks. It's enjoyable how much more pep the car has off the line when it's in the 40's and 50's compared to summertime when it's in the 90's.
I want to put the 7006 back on soon just to hear the nice turbo whistle again while I can drive with the windows down in comfort for the next few months. I really like the sound of turbo whistle.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Funny thing about the whistle, one of the best sounding turbos I have tested (using my Hooligan) is the stock 3LDZ ... believe it or not.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
nothing (nothing) I've yet heard beats Petey's Comp Turbo triple ceramic ball bearing / zork combo!!!

OHHHHH MOMMMMMA me RIKEY!!!

_best_sound_ever_...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Funny thing about the whistle, one of the best sounding turbos I have tested (using my Hooligan) is the stock 3LDZ ... believe it or not.
Whistle....??....sheet, I can't hear it being somewhat deaf in the higher frequencies. It's gotta be there, since the turbo's going round-and-round, but alas - too many years of occupational and hobby hearing damage.

Funny, though, when I listen to videos of 930's, I can hear it. Makes me jealous!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Really Mark? Weird.

I've got the same thing w/ my hearing (constant tinnitus - suuuucks! Self inflicted like you said unfortunately - d'oh... and I'm 20yrs your junior) and some frequency loss (mostly my wife's voice - go figure?)... but I can hear the glorious spool of my uber rad 3LDZ thru my headers & RarlyL8 Hoolie.

Tho, adding headers did enhance the awesomeness (in multiple regards!) greatly. Maybe that's why, and your 7006 is inherently quieter?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Alot depends on the muffler you have. I don't know whats inside a Fabspeed muffler.
I couldn't hear any of it until I removed all the baffles from inside the B&B muffler I have. The 1" of stainless steel packing is still inside it and if I removed that it would be louder but I like it how it is now... not too loud.
I guess the reason the 7200 makes less whistle than the 7006 is because the 7006 hot side housing and turbine wheel are bigger and shaped a little different than the 7200.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Really Mark? Weird.

I've got the same thing w/ my hearing (constant tinnitus - suuuucks! Self inflicted like you said unfortunately - d'oh... and I'm 20yrs your junior) and some frequency loss (mostly my wife's voice - go figure?)... but I can hear the glorious spool of my uber rad 3LDZ thru my headers & RarlyL8 Hoolie.

Tho, adding headers did enhance the awesomeness (in multiple regards!) greatly. Maybe that's why, and your 7006 is inherently quieter?
Heck, I don't know. Constant tinnitus....yes, for more years than I can remember. Too much cacophony of glorious other sounds back there. Maybe I'm mistaking it for the fan whirring as they do. Oh well, put me in a loud bar scene with a bunch of chicks trying to tell me they want to do nasty things to my body parts, and I'll just nod my head as stare at their body parts and attempt to read lips.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

I must have the same hearing issues that Mark does as I have never heard the turbo whistle sound from my own car (though I have heard it in youtube videos of other peoples' cars) - I have a UMW k27 HyFlow and Brian's "regular" muffler with center outlet. Maybe it's the GP White paint?

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-23-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The exhaust turbine housing, turbine wheel inside it, and the center bearing housing of the UMW K27 hiflow is all stock K27 7200. Thats probably why you aren't hearing it.

The intake compressor side of the Hiflow is bigger but and you won't hear any turbine noise from it with the plumbing and CIS air flow meter in front of it.

Maybe you'd hear some turbo whistle out of a 7200 with no muffler and just a straight pipe/zork. I havn't tried it.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Did someone say turbo whistle?

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: