Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Can you Get more life out of a clutch?

My clutch has been slipping when under high boost, so i adjusted it yesterday to the 1mm gap,it didnt help in fact possibly made it worse..

If i were to adjust it wider say 2mm would that give more clutch grip? or is there anything else i could do to fix the problem without taking it out and replacing?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no. If the clutch is slipping, and the cable and arm gap are adjusted properly, then either the friction material is worn off, there is oil on it, or the pressure plate tension springs are worn/damaged. If you have any gap at all at the arm, then the release bearing is not putting tension on the pressure plate springs, so an even larger gap will have no further effect with regard to clutch slippage.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As Ronnie said.....not happenin'. Sorry. Now you gotta wade through all the opinions on what clutch to replace it with. My opinion is already out there, so I won't bother.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Bummer Robbby, sorry to hear - good luck.

I'll confess... there's days where I think you made up your user name / location / persona / issues just to eff with all us idjuts here on the forum. Your posts are - er uh ummmm - unique?

make all my posts & problems seem normal / trivial

8-) of course... you seem a real good dude and mean well enough.

Here's to hopin the tables turn for the positive wayway down there for ya! I know I'm rooting for a roof to fall upon your '76! Keep fighting the good fight...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

Hey its all Good i do suffer a minor disorder (930adhd) i wont go into here but it does lead to confusion from others im used to it

gets me thinking though,
Answer Number 2 says Oil or slippage..

Ok ill get in there and spray the heck out of it with a degreaser..
If still slips then it is worn

now the clutch in my car isnt normal for the period as the car has a late 915 gearbox, lightened flywheel and a lsd. (some of those are not standard for the year)

Clutch type who knows i havent found any reciepts on that..

So say if its a Period clutch, these were made out of rubber i think..

And if thats the case i may have found another good use for my Beltgrip spray

If i get more miles its worth trying
Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Spraying degreaser on the clutch assembly won't do any good, as any oil that "might" be on it will have impregnated the friction material, which you can not see without removing the pressure plate, and any degreaser that you spray on it through the bell housing inspection hole will do absolutely nothing. Also, if there is enough oil there to make the clutch slip, you will see it running out of the bell housing and so forth.

The clutches were never made out of rubber, but many years, including in the 1980s, had clutch discs with a rubber center section, or carrier, which is know to disintegrate over time. They were a horrible idea meant to lesson noise and vibration and most people have replaced them with a conventional spring centered clutch by now. Your beltgrip spray isn't going to help you out here.

And I hate to be a killjoy, but if you continue to drive the car with clutch slippage, then the lightened flywheel you mentioned will be a "goner" in short order.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-23-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Is the bell housing inspection hole accessible without any dissambly?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ronnie is 100% right on in his post.
At the least you need a new clutch disc and if you continue to drive it and let it slip it will ruin whats left of the clamping surface of both the flywheel and pressure plate by creating little blued steel raised hot spots.
Those swirled blued steel hot spots are harder than the rest of the steel surface and become raised above the rest of the surface and that makes the clutch disc wear faster and become grooved where they are on the flywheel and pressure plate.
Blanchard grinding can restore a Porsche flywheel if it hasn't become too worn and KEP pressure plates can be rebuilt but a stock sachs pressure plate gets replaced.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Is the bell housing inspection hole accessible without any dissambly?
Yes - it is on the right side of the bellhousing. You can't really "see" much and will need to use a small mirror and flashlight.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-24-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys,
ill go in there and see what i can see in there

Another question, how much should i pay for a reasonable clutch?, i just want a hard wearing one, nothing flash , ill be shopping on Ebay

But they all look the same to me, (not being racist)
Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OG

Garage
Mine is doing the same thing....... Bummer. Already called Chris at TurboKraft...
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Ronnie is 100% right on in his post.
At the least you need a new clutch disc and if you continue to drive it and let it slip it will ruin whats left of the clamping surface of both the flywheel and pressure plate by creating little blued steel raised hot spots.
Those swirled blued steel hot spots are harder than the rest of the steel surface and become raised above the rest of the surface and that makes the clutch disc wear faster and become grooved where they are on the flywheel and pressure plate.
Blanchard grinding can restore a Porsche flywheel if it hasn't become too worn and KEP pressure plates can be rebuilt but a stock sachs pressure plate gets replaced.

Time for me to get out the 101 projects book
Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Spraying degreaser on the clutch assembly won't do any good, as any oil that "might" be on it will have impregnated the friction material, which you can not see without removing the pressure plate, and any degreaser that you spray on it through the bell housing inspection hole will do absolutely nothing. Also, if there is enough oil there to make the clutch slip, you will see it running out of the bell housing and so forth.

The clutches were never made out of rubber, but many years, including in the 1980s, had clutch discs with a rubber center section, or carrier, which is know to disintegrate over time. They were a horrible idea meant to lesson noise and vibration and most people have replaced them with a conventional spring centered clutch by now. Your beltgrip spray isn't going to help you out here.

And I hate to be a killjoy, but if you continue to drive the car with clutch slippage, then the lightened flywheel you mentioned will be a "goner" in short order.
Why dont they make them out of Ceramic or carbon fibre or silicon Carbide ???
Would save a lot of trouble
Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: