Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Large Member

Garage
Nearing in on $4k in the first 2 days... WE ROCK GUYS!!!

Let's keep some positive momentum going here gents... have a look @ the sticky thread and follow the link to the campaign site. Takes but a moment!

And I'll close with... boy oh freakin BOY do we have something brewing up our dirty little slimyass sleeves here...muwhahahahaaa 8-)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

I'd think learning about this possible hole in one's homeowner insurance policy is worth more than $100 to anyone reading this.
I'm in.
Paul -- top job organizing this.
Mark -- better days are ahead, sir.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)
beancounter

^Hey Chris...thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
And I'll close with... boy oh freakin BOY do we have something brewing up our dirty little slimyass sleeves here...muwhahahahaaa 8-)...
^I think its my job to address this comment.

I have a line on what may be the ideal replacement for Mark's BBQ'd baby. This car is an '87 Grand Prix White Coupe (like Mark's) with Burgundy interior (also like Mark's I believe). Its a 2 owner car, originally from California with 143k on the odo, and two binders worth of maintenance history. The car has had recent body and paint work due to an agricultural excursion at a track day...the work was done to a high standard by the current owner on a "spare no expense" basis. The engine is stock, still has all the factory emission equipment intact and functional, still has factory A/C. I viewed and drove this car last weekend and it runs and drives very well. It's not going to win Pebble Beach but is quite a good looking example (looks better than mine cosmetically, truth be told).

This car is not for sale publicly. I explained the situation here (Mark's loss and our fundraising effort) and the owner offered this car to me at a "special friend and family price" that is below our fundraising target by a decent amount. The car has some safety equipment installed for track use that can be removed and sold, further lowering the cost of entry. One could probably sell the emission stuff to someone in Cali that needs it too (assuming its not required in WA), even further defraying the acquisition cost. This is a good enough deal that I would write the check tomorrow to buy it for myself as a "spare" -- but I don't think I can bring a 3rd Porsche home without sustaining domestic collateral damage, if you understand my meaning. Wouldn't be prudent for plenty of reasons, continuing marital bliss being one of them. I suppose I could buy it and flip it if the fundraising effort falls short, but I feel as if that would be taking advantage of the "nice-guy" pricing the owner has offered to me. He wants the car to stay "in the family" so to speak.

So consider this a challenge friends...I'm prepared to write a check for this car, buy it and hold it securely with the ultimate plan that it will end up in Mark's rebuilt garage IF the all the finances come together in way that guarantees he can take it off my hands. This can happen even if we are short of the stated fundraising target.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)

Wow that sounds like a win win situation. Nice job!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)

Outstanding -- great work, guys!

It looks like the fundraising could use a shot in the arm, though. For all the views this thread has gotten, I expected higher. Time to email and PM your fellow Turbo owners and Pelicans, help out a fellow boost addict!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)

Garage
Great update Jacob, and all others.
Great to help fellow boost-brothers. Country of origin is no limit.
Mark, and this forums users have helped me and many others.
Glad to give something back for a great cause :-)
1986 944 Turbo
Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Just asking : if the engine, tranny and chassis are not too bad, is there any chance this car could get rebuild one day ? I mean, I've seen project cars worse than that...

Best of luck to Mark,
Nicolas
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in. I don't know Mark, so in a way I'm paying back to this valuable community. No other boards are like the PP board. As you can see from my post count, I'm not a great poster here, but I have been hanging around this board for more than ten years now i think. The board was young when I joined, and the big posters had 1500 posts.

There has been many touching stories and events on this board, but I'd like to share two. Many years ago, a board member died and I don't think the board knew. Several moths later his wife posted about her late husband's Porsche project that was in pieces in the garage, and she asked the board what she should do with it. A group of fellow board members teamed up, and put the Porsche project back together again so the wife could either keep the car or sell it. I thought this was such an awesome gesture from "strangers" on the Internet, with a common passion. I have told this story in many dinner parties, and it always makes a great impression. These days the net is full of social this and social that, but I think this story really illustrate how the Internet can be a social medium.

The other story happened to myself, and is much less dramatic. I were about to to my first real project on my 930, and rebuild my transmission. I had lots of help from this forum, and of course I got the inspiration to do it myself from a thread here. I decided to start my own thread with all the details about my rebuild. When it came to the question amount the tools needed to separate the dog teeth, they were rather expensive at that time, I received a PM from dyekes saying that I could borrow his if I payed for postage. I was a total stranger, on the other side of the Atlantic, and still he would lend me his $4-500 tools. I thought that was really cool, and thought me an important lesson about trust in this otherwise cynical world.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this board is special, and the people in it, so I want to contribute to help keeping it special. I want to help Mark get a 930 again, and ease his pain for his total (material) loss.

Cheers
1972 BMW 3.0S

Last edited by aseem; 02-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico911 View Post
Just asking : if the engine, tranny and chassis are not too bad, is there any chance this car could get rebuild one day ? I mean, I've seen project cars worse than that...

Best of luck to Mark,
Nicolas
I've almost talked myself into not having the burned out hulk scrapped for the mere price of steel. Instead, I think I'll drag it outside for the time being and weep everytime I walk by it. But really, I'm hoping the engine and gearbox survived other than seals and hoses and wires and sensors and ignition and fuel components and anything plastic. The cost and effort to restore the car would be huge and a task that I can't phathom nor even consider. But if the engine and tranny survived and are serviceable within reason, perhaps I could find a buyer to help offset some of the cost of another 930. I have no idea how to price them, though; probably less than half of what they'd command if in good running condition.

And oh....I think I need something called TOOLS that aren't in a molten slag heap. Or maybe just a cutting torch (doesn't this discussion just make your skin crawl)?

I'll close with Paul's last closure:

"... boy oh freakin BOY do we have something brewing up our dirty little slimyass sleeves here...muwhahahahaaa 8-)..."

You guys are all stellar in my book, what you're attempting to do. Man oh man, it's keeping my spirits up that's for sure.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)
I've gone native

Maybe not the scrap heap, there's a 930 roller on eBay, you have the engine tranny....some form of continuity so to speak.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)

Garage
Great work Jacob! That's really cool of the owner of a 930 to sell for "special friend and family price".
Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)

Sorry for your loss Mark. Like I said on the donation page, you've helped me a lot by reading your post. Just want to say thanks.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, I don't check in for a week and come to find this. I'm in, but might take a few days. Need to figure out how to move my secret cash stash or an online form.

Most importantly, glad it is only property that was damaged.

Mark, I know you don't remember, but you were very helpful when I was searching for my car three years ago. We also share driving a MGB during our younger years.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)

Mark,

I'm very sorry for your loss. Though we haven't met, we're nearly neighbors, and I've enjoyed your posts over the years. With the help of fellow forum members on Pelican and other sites, I built up a stormin' EFI 930 about 7 years ago, ran it on the track, and had a ball with it. I've since sold it and moved on, but there will always be a soft spot in my heart for those cars. I'm excited to hear of the effort that Paul has put together on your behalf, and I just visited the site to pay homage. I hope that you recover fully from this event and that another 930 will soon put a smile on your face.

Rob S.

04 GT3 track car
01 GT3 RS race car
78 930 EFI 622 hp (sold)
79 930 (sold long ago)
Many 911s and 912s in my past...
Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)

Garage
I'm personally not a litigious person, but in this case I'd have your lawyer give the garage door opener company a call. Especially if there are other cases of the same opener causing fires.
Very sorry for your loss.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)

Mark -- I've known 2 other people who suffered catastrophic house/garage fires, and an both cases most of the hand tools survived just fine: sockets, extensions, ratchet handles, engine stands, etc. They're built of tough metal.
Now if the fire got hot enough to damage chromium steel sockets, then I sadly doubt anything from the 930 is salvageable as it's mostly aluminum.

If the chassis is beyond any parting out or restoration, you can do like Andial did back in the day with their wadded up 935: have it crushed into a little cube and put a glass table top on it.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Mark -- I've known 2 other people who suffered catastrophic house/garage fires, and an both cases most of the hand tools survived just fine: sockets, extensions, ratchet handles, engine stands, etc. They're built of tough metal.
Now if the fire got hot enough to damage chromium steel sockets, then I sadly doubt anything from the 930 is salvageable as it's mostly aluminum.

If the chassis is beyond any parting out or restoration, you can do like Andial did back in the day with their wadded up 935: have it crushed into a little cube and put a glass table top on it.
I like the coffee table idea!

I spent a couple hours slopping around in the muck and remains, and was able to retrieve most of my sockets and wrenches. They were all coverred with baked-on black goo and took several hours with a wire brush and soapy water to clean them. They were originally in my steel tool box with the drawers closed, to give you an idea of how hot it got.

Suprisingly, the intercooler (aluminum B&B) did not melt - but it's blacker than the ace of spades as well. I haven't cleaned it up yet or pressure tested it, though. And until I can drag the car out of the dark garage carnage to get a good look at the engine, it's difficult to tell what damage might be in there. Surely the turbo and stainless muffler survived, I think, but certainly the alternator and starter and MSD ignition and distributor and WUR and AAR should be shot, and maybe the valve covers warped and magnesium boost recirc manifold and all engine seals and gaskets possibly burned or distorted...who knows. And the transmission....???

Body panels appear to have survived intact (not melted or warped, so all four quarter panels might be salvageable. Three wheels melted or burned, one appears to have survived but I wouldn't trust it.

Gotta get this hulk out in the sun, hose her down, and reconnoiter things but that won't happen until the spring thaw.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)

Garage
auw, sorry to hear this Mark. You and especially You did not deserve this...
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)

losing stuff sucks (i lost all my stuff in Katrina, including all my kid's' toys, photos, family heirlooms, etc...) but it is just stuff. keep things in perspective, i just read today in a journal that classmade of mine died, age 43, hardly knew him but always weird when someone younger than you passes... honestly i'm not going to gnash teeth because a car burned. not that big a deal in grand scheme of things. you will replace it in time.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)

Great initiative Paul - what a great use for the Pelican community. Chin up Mark. The dark days get lighter as time goes by.
I'm in - done.
Couldn't have got my 930 going without this forum.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: