Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest

Im in,you will be back in the saddle again.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #221 (permalink)

Mark was the garage door opener the final culprit? Just wanted to know as i have been telling friends to be wary of their garage door openers.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #222 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Mark was the garage door opener the final culprit? Just wanted to know as i have been telling friends to be wary of their garage door openers.
The official fire inspector dude tried to re-create how the fire flowed, looking at materials and where the damage seemed to progress....and most importantly trying to link some action to the fire starting. The 'action' in this case was me exiting the garage only minutes before via the garage door opener.

He inspected inside the opener motor and found what he pointed out as thin gauge melted wires, commenting on how the manufacturers don't use a heavy enough gauge to the motor internals. Any short or overload could easily cause those wires to superheat but since they're small enough gauge, it would't trip a normal 20 amp breaker and would instead just heat up and melt. But for all we know those wires simply melted in the inferno, since the motor was directly above the 930 and a tankfull of gas.

This was the guy's best guess, and in my mind it's inconclusive unless the plastic lamp shields on either side of the garage door motor caught fire and dropped to the ground (first bouncing off the hood of the 930), and landing in some burnable material (I had some wood pieces and some coils of rope on the ground along the wall next to the car).

I don't buy it. I also had three flourescent light fixtures hanging from the ceiling and one neon beer light lit, plus a 220V space heater on a thermostat. The fixtures are FUBAR and the heater did not show signs of any trouble. And oh....battery tenders on both the 930 and the Harley. The top of the 930 gas tank survived and the spare tire was only partially burned, so he's not blaming the battery tender there anyway. Hell, for all I know somebody was lurking in the bushes...just waiting for me to leave....and gas-soaked my Mistubishi in the driveway, which burned through the garage door and lit the 930 instead of the other way around. My mind doesn't even want to go there.

Sure wish we could find an 'ah HAH!' moment, I would sleep better at night. This just sucks a big schlong.....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #223 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Mark.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #224 (permalink)

Mark, I'm sorry about what happened.
My first thought was garage door opener flame out and I didn't want to mention my second thought about what may have happened but in your last few sentences in your post above you kind of said it...

A few days before this fire you said in a post here that if a certain spammer on these forums came to your house you'd kill him and bury him in your backyard. That post was removed because it's not there anymore.
Threats of any level are a very risky thing to say on the internet because you don't know where that person is or anything about them and even if you got the ip address from Wayne's ip log they could be using ip address spoofing software so you'd never be able to trace it.

I also remember two or three years ago you once said maybe I'm a spammer here in one of your posts and I couldn't believe you said that and I didn't like it.
I'm so far from being a spammer... and I'm not a hearsay freak.
I just love these cars. I used to work on them for a living and I need to get a life instead of staying logged in here so I log out after most of my posts.

In the meantime being single and a bit of a loner I waste a lot of time reading and posting here. It gets to be somewhat of an addiction and habit when you're alone. I also like thinking I help some people with their car hobby sharing some of what I know.

Good luck with everything and thats a really nice log cabin you have.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #225 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Mark, I'm sorry about what happened.
My first thought was garage door opener flame out and I didn't want to mention my second thought about what may have happened but in your last few sentences in your post above you kind of said it...

A few days before this fire you said in a post here that if a certain spammer on these forums came to your house you'd kill him and bury him in your backyard. That post was removed because it's not there anymore.
Threats of any level are a very risky thing to say on the internet because you don't know where that person is or anything about them and even if you got the ip address from Wayne's ip log they could be using ip address spoofing software so you'd never be able to trace it.

I also remember two or three years ago you once said maybe I'm a spammer here in one of your posts and I couldn't believe you said that and I didn't like it.
I'm so far from being a spammer... and I'm not a hearsay freak.
I just love these cars. I used to work on them for a living and I need to get a life instead of staying logged in here so I log out after most of my posts.

In the meantime being single and a bit of a loner I waste a lot of time reading and posting here. It gets to be somewhat of an addiction and habit when you're alone. I also like thinking I help some people with their car hobby sharing some of what I know.

Good luck with everything and thats a really nice log cabin you have.
Jim, I appreciate the cautions you've offered. I do not every recall pointing the spammer finger at anyone (let alone you) and if it was interpreted that way then it was completely out of context 'cause that's just not my nature. And if I ever came across that way, then boy was it ever in error 'cause you've contributed more to this forum than I could ever imagine coming close to. Please accept my apology if I've ever offended you.

Actually, unless I have a vindictive ex....and I can't see that, having been with her for nigh-on 35 years...I think an intentional fire is really out of the question. I don't have any enemies that I'm aware of. But one never knows, we must consider all possibilities.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 02-12-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #226 (permalink)

Mark, unless witnessed or video recorded, fires with such complete destruction are rarely clear in origin.

But, as the investigator said to me when my pristine '86 Carrera was stolen - "If it's gone more than 2 days, hope they never find it 'cause the damage will be unfixable and whatever it is, the insurance will not make up." OTOH, when I filed the claim I was able to produce receipts for all the work (mechanical and cosmetic) up to that point. I got full credit for condition (top of value range). So start rebuilding the records if you've shopped locally or online for parts and have a mechanic who has records. Proving the value is the way you can get a reputable insurance company to pay for your next 911.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Jim, I appreciate the cautions you've offered. I do not every recall pointing the spammer finger at anyone (let alone you) and if it was interpreted that way then it was completely out of context 'cause that's just not my nature. And if I ever came across that way, then boy was it ever in error 'cause you've contributed more to this forum than I could ever imagine coming close to. Please accept my apology if I've ever offended you.

Actually, unless I have a vindictive ex....and I can't see that, having been with her for nigh-on 35 years...I think an intentional fire is really out of the question. I don't have any enemies that I'm aware of. But one never knows, we must consider all possibilities.
Hey Mark, I thought I'd try the search function here with your name and the word spammer in the search and among other posts you've made about spammers it went right to it...
Post #11 in this thread from 2 years ago: For those wanting to see inside the stock re-circulation valve

Insignificant and trivial I know.. but it left an impression on me.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #228 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Wasn't that Fairman's original comment which is being quoted? Or perhaps Jim is a closet spammer with a garage full of gold to sell

This dude has been reported.....
Jimbo my friend...

Mark simply cited that your quote was used by an apparent spammer, and then he very overtly JOKED that maybe it was you that was the spammer (by way of an alias account)

by no means whatsoever should that have been construed otherwise - tooooootally a JOKE

just an outsider's opinion / impression, loosen yer tinfoil hat a smidge?

love both you fokkerzezez, regardless 8-) This place would have an enormous void w/o either of your contributions, no exaggeration...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #229 (permalink)
beancounter

Time to start parting out that carcass Mark. Your car is here:

More pics and link on the "sticky" fundraiser thread. Mark's 930-a-thon! *please read / please HELP*

Speaking of fundraising...it's been a bit slow the last few days folks. Thanks to everyone who has pitched in so far. I think we can gather up a few more supporters...then I want to see some of the salvageable bits of that carcass up for sale to generate additional funds and we will get this done.

Spring is on the way. Don't let this fine '87 GPW sit here waiting for too long.

I could get in 'trouble' having 2 930s...we can't let that happen
Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #230 (permalink)

Did you just purchase that car Jacob? Looks in very good shape.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #231 (permalink)
beancounter

Yes. See post #203, a page or so back on this thread. I've bought it for Mark, in a manner of speaking. Well that's my excuse. It was a good deal, so I sort of couldn't pass it up anyway. I'm hoping it will end up in his hands.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #232 (permalink)

Garage
Whats the new target for the fundraiser with the great deal you got?

Maybe you could have a countdown at the start of every page so people could see it getting closer and might spur them on maybe to donate again if its slowing down??
Im sure for some members here $100 is nothing (Ive seen their garages), you never know what could happen if there was a daily countdown target?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #233 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I know for sure that fire was not intentional, even a baddie wouldn't burn a garage with a Porsche in it
Thats one crime God wont forgive
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #234 (permalink)

A bump for crowd sourcing a 930! Things appear to have stalled a bit - if you are new to the story, check out the sticky at the top.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #235 (permalink)

Garage
This is horrible i am so sorry for what has happened
1993 Vaz 21063
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #236 (permalink)

Garage
Well you know I have to ask now that you have the car home... ... Sparco or Momo ?

Kozmo
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #237 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo930 View Post
Well you know I have to ask now that you have the car home... ... Sparco or Momo?
actually I haven't brought home the '87 (code name: "Phoenix"). There is still too much snow around for me to get my trailer out. Still freezing our balls off up here in the Northeast, so at this rate Phoenix stays in the seller's heated garage probably until April. Honestly, my wife and I are looking at an emergency trip to Miami next weekend so we can at least remove our thermal underwear for a couple days...otherwise I am afraid we're going to go insane (I'm talking Jack Nicholson/The Shining style).
Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #238 (permalink)

The colder it is up north the sweeter it is down in Florida... low humidity, 70's during the afternoon, nice sunsets, and 50's and 60's at night.
It finally stopped raining last night and it's sunny and cool today so back to work on the motor project.

Yeah come on down to Florida and look up the 930 guys down here, Maybe someone will even have one running It's beautiful this time of year and they go back to daylight savings time this weekend so it's light out another hour in the evenings. I wish they'd just leave the clocks that way here... there's been some talk of doing that.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #239 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
careful Jim! I might just hop a plane to come down there and give you a swift kick in the nutes just for uttering those sentiments! Bastage!!

rub it in why don'tchya!??!?!??!!!

Toooooooootally goin insane in ze membrane here... all snow and no boost make Paulie a dull boy and all. Oy. Jake. Yousuck! Have a great time, yabum!

Alas Jim, appears you verrrrry easily manage to be spared from being smote as such... what with all the iinvaluable help you afford everyone (and me aka no one) all the time - well - I s'pose you've errrr 'slight' earned the right to bust bauls whilst livin the dream down there in fookin paradise!

Back on topic... jah... zero fundage in over a week, and that was from a generous 're-upper' graciously attempting to stir the pot. Nothing new in nearly 2wks otherwise. Stagnation.

Let's keep this effort alive and kicking everyone... we do have a ways to go - $11,450 as of this writing!!!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #240 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: