Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
So sorry to see the tragedy Mark. Amongst other things, you'll suffer 930 withdrawal symptoms. Find another to help the healing.

Last edited by 87 930; 01-27-2014 at 06:28 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

I'm so sorry to see all this Mark. Makes me sad for you. Like everyone has said it's just stuff and it can be replaced.

All that damage while you were at the store for 20 minutes looks like the fire started right after you left. I was thinking maybe an electric garage door opener motor may have started it if you went out the garage door and closed it with a remote as you left.
I hope it wasn't arson.

Again, we are all very sorry to see and hear this.
As far as selling parts off your car stainless steel headers and muffler may be the only thing that could stand up to that heat. The transaxle and parts of the the engine and suspension may be restorable too.

I hope your insurance replaces everything and you stick around here. Keep us updated and take care.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
I cannot imagine how this makes you feel. All I can say is that I am truly saddened and I will hope and prey that you will cope as well as humanly possible and start looking for a car after the details ,insurance , gets settled
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Absolute bummer....and could happen to any of us, so sorry for you :/
Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
All that damage while you were at the store for 20 minutes looks like the fire started right after you left. I was thinking maybe an electric garage door opener motor may have started it if you went out the garage door and closed it with a remote as you left..
Thanks Jim, this just purely sucketh big time.

My thoughts exactly, something triggered it and I did indeed leave through the garage and closed it with my remote from the vehicle I was driving. However, the firemen did find a huge arc and melted wires from the main power feed to the breaker panel in the garage. How the hell the main feed could short out, who knows, but I think that will be their assessment. We'll see what the insurance adjuster and whomever else has to say.

Just spoke with my home insurance dude minutes ago; should have the adjuster here today or tomorrow.

I'm trying to get enthused about pulling the engine/tranny, but of course I have zero tools now to do the job. It looks like the B&B intercooler survived (at least it still looks like an IC), but I haven't looked closely. It's just all bits and pieces, guess we'll see. Sheeeiit......
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Banned

Mark, was your ex-wife in town?!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Thanks Jim, this just purely sucketh big time.

My thoughts exactly, something triggered it and I did indeed leave through the garage and closed it with my remote from the vehicle I was driving. However, the firemen did find a huge arc and melted wires from the main power feed to the breaker panel in the garage. How the hell the main feed could short out, who knows, but I think that will be their assessment. We'll see what the insurance adjuster and whomever else has to say.

Just spoke with my home insurance dude minutes ago; should have the adjuster here today or tomorrow.

I'm trying to get enthused about pulling the engine/tranny, but of course I have zero tools now to do the job. It looks like the B&B intercooler survived (at least it still looks like an IC), but I haven't looked closely. It's just all bits and pieces, guess we'll see. Sheeeiit......
Mark check with your local electric company, to see if they had any work going on in a nearby transformer. A co worker of mine had some damages to appliances due to a power surge from a nearby transformer.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Mark, Sorry about your loss, glad you are unharmed and hopefully will pick up another 930 in the near future.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
That's plain awful! I'm glad the firemen saved your pets. I hope your house does not have too much water damage on top of fire damage. Sorry about losing your 930 and dirt bikes along with everything else. Your insurance co. better do their part to give you all compensations.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Hello Mark. Sorry to see this. Hopefully, insurance will get this taken care of quickly and fairly. Glad you and the pets are ok.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Mark, this is horrible news!!! Best thoughts your way,, but I'll echo the above sentiments at least your family and pets are ok... At the end of the day it's just ***** and you'll accumulate more ***** ..
You'll pull through this buddy!!! Anything any of us can do don't by shy
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 930 View Post
So sorry to see the tragedy Mark. Amongst other things, you'll suffer 930 withdrawal symptoms. Find another to help the healing.
I was just going to say the same. Like thinking of it as your EX after the wonderful next. I would recommend DKnebes fantastic 89 that is on this forum. I am trying to figure out a way for myself but would not feel bad missing it if you got it. That car needs some open space to run in and someone like you( or me ) to do right by it.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-27-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Mark, NO human or animal injuries here and you are safe , that is the best news. You will bounce back from this horrible inferno with new stuff .Things happen for a reason, and your 20 minute trip to the store kept you out of harms way !
Marty
Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Most people's worst nightmare. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
I have to agree with many others, the 20-minute trip kept you safe. There's no telling what you may or may not have done to "stop the fire." The professionals got your pets which eliminated the opportunity to possibly harm yourself and the pets!!

It certainly could have been much worse, and you have much to be thankful for!!

BTW I have to ask: did your wheels simply melt away, or were they removed prior to the fire? It's a fair question, as my car sits on jackstands without wheels on it all the time...
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

I can't help but think if he had been home instead of gone for 20 minutes he would have smelled smoke or noticed the power went out.. whichever happened first. Then he would have gone to the garage to check the circuit breakers or find the source of smoke and had time to save his cars.
I'm not sure but I lightened the dark left side of one of the pictures with photoshop and it looks like there might be remains of a breaker box over on the left wall.
In another picture it looks like a table saw to the left front of his car and a drill press in the far right corner.

It's obvious he has a front door from the walkway going around the right side corner and there wasn't any fire in that part of the house so getting in or out safely was not an issue.

anyway... your friends here care and the whole thing sucks.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Well I'm sorry to hear about your fire. Times like this are never easy. I went through something similar a long time ago with hurricane Andrew fortunately it was before my first Porsche. My perspective on life is different now as a result of that time. Hope the insurance company takes some of the aggravation out of it and doesn't make things worse.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Mark;

There really isn't anything I can say that hasn't already been said here. Just glad to hear that all the losses were in stuff, and when you boil it all down stuff is just that.

Norm
Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Holy crap, Mark, that just tears your heart out looking at it!

Just speechless, glad all living beings are safe.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Yikes thos pics are hard to look at.

We can repair and replace material items, we have the technology. Glad nobody was hurt.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: