Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
I was just thinking the other day about callling and cancelling mine until i read this.
Ken, you can cancel or suspend your collision and personal injury protection temporarily but just keep your comprehensive coverage. If you already paid for collision and injury coverage for 6 or 12 months they will refund you the difference and you just pay the comp. It's as simple as that.

Then when you're ready to drive it again call them up and reinstate your collision and injury coverage with your credit card to pay for it instantly. I've done this more than once when taking a car off the road for 2 months or more to save money.

Depending on your deductable carrying comp alone is not expensive. Insurance companies just want money and they'll work with you to keep your business.

hope this helps...
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

I'm in as well...
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

I'm in as well. Like they said before it is a $100 lesson and it is well worth it!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
I have to agree with many others, the 20-minute trip kept you safe. There's no telling what you may or may not have done to "stop the fire." The professionals got your pets which eliminated the opportunity to possibly harm yourself and the pets!!

It certainly could have been much worse, and you have much to be thankful for!!

BTW I have to ask: did your wheels simply melt away, or were they removed prior to the fire? It's a fair question, as my car sits on jackstands without wheels on it all the time...
Mooney, the wheels melted. One hot fire!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Garage
I would be inclined to donate a C note to Mark. Never met the guy but he was one of the first to post when I was bringing in my G.P. White 930 from Germany. Seems like this post has already started fire, pun intended for the idea.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akila View Post
It hurts me to hear about such an unfortunate accident to such a helpful guy.
As a part time insurance adjuster, I inquired about this particular case. As far as homeowners insurance, unless it was some how related to the home, like a golf cart used to transport the tools to fix the house, a Homeowners policy will not cover.
I believe you are correct. After pouring over my policy fine print, what you've said is almost word for word boiler plate.

I do believe, good friends, that the pooch is screwed.

This morning I slopped around in the dark, sooty garage and scope out the damage. Hey....guess what....the IC survived and is now in my box of firesale stuff (can't believe it didn't melt). I think I'm gonna have all scrap (the 'other' car and bikes) hauled away but leave the 930 - which is probably the stupidest goddamn thing a person should do and I may change my mind. Just thinking that someone could find a use for the motor and transmission as-is (probably just re-seal, a couple of wires, a few hoses here and there, just a couple thousand $$ of odds and ends and she may breathe again). Ha, pipe dream.

My adjuster seems well thought of, and I don't feel he's going to screw me relative to fixing the house. The car thing is something he can't change, he doesn't write the policies.

You guys have all got me shedding tears with your generous words, and I'm not talking money. I am so deeply touched as never before in my life.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
The fenders/quarters and hood and decklid? Those look usable/sale able.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
I've gone native

I'm in
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Garage
Oh man...your 930 was not insured?!? I feel more awful. Who would have thought this loss would occur. I have had my other car uninsured for over a year due to large car projects before without any thought to potential loss. Now I know!!!

Paul,
That's a great idea about donating. I'll be glad to donate a C note...so I'm in.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Fuk yeah....let's do this...I'm in for a $100
Old 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I think I'm gonna have all scrap (the 'other' car and bikes) hauled away but leave the 930 - which is probably the stupidest goddamn thing a person should do and I may change my mind. Just thinking that someone could find a use for the motor and transmission as-is (probably just re-seal, a couple of wires, a few hoses here and there, just a couple thousand $$ of odds and ends and she may breathe again). Ha, pipe dream.
Don't say "fuk it" and change your mind, Mark - even if the engine and trans are not usable as a whole, there are likely many parts within them that someone would love to have (and pay good money for). I've been slowly parting out a 914 that I have owned for over 25 years, and have found that even the seemingly most insignificant part is wanted by someone, worldwide. I've recently had a guy from South Africa buy over $200 dollars worth of brackets, knobs and wire connectors (stuff I thought no one would possibly want), and he was thrilled to get them.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Don't say "fuk it" and change your mind, Mark - even if the engine and trans are not usable as a whole, there are likely many parts within them that someone would love to have (and pay good money for).
^right on.

As quattrorunner posted earlier, the fenders look usable. Assuming it didn't melt (like the Fuchs----holy sheet man magneseum fire!!!), the entire body shell can be salvaged. Perfect for a race car build - gutted, full cage, etc. You may be able to get some real $ for what is left there Mark. Combine that with pelican pay it forward bonus, and perhaps you can re-allocate some of the homeowner's claim settlement (assuming its fair/reasonable etc.) - this could all add up.

post a link up on the 911 forum and the OT forum, this might get some more pelican pay it forward action

Last edited by jwasbury; 01-28-2014 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: added content
Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Im in..:-)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

Garage
I am in.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

I am in as well. We have a lot of guys ready to go. Can someone with the know how put up a paypal account for Mark, or someone to get this off the ground. Let's help the cause. We need a way to get the funds rolling. Someone has to have the know how to make this work.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)
Banned

^^^ It would be relatively easy to do this, but at this point, Mark has said he doesn't want the "gift" (his call, of course, and we should respect that). I guess this is a case of "pride fukken witcha" (ala- Pulp Fiction), and you know what Band-Aid neck said, "F*ck pride"!

Anyone with a Paypal Premier account could set-up a fundraising page at YouCaring.com (free) and then the monies could be transferred to Mark's Paypal account (or a check could be mailed to him). I have a long standing Paypal Premier account, and would be willing to do this, but it was Paul's idea after all . . . of course, it can't happen without Mark's consent.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-28-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Mark? Feck him! He's no say in this matter. This is our call men.

Why?

So... we are to listen to the rationale / reason of He Who Uninsured?

???

(dewd... we're gonna rock yer werld w/ this... but... we get to tooootally fukk witchyous... maaaaaaan)

plus, who's gonna sit there and say oh gee OK thanks guys just park my shiny new car over there when you get it? Pride / emotion... unnecessary obstacles.

I'm on this.

Just counted 20 "in's" - within the 12hrs since I suggested it.

$2grand. 330 donors to go.

That gets you a decent driver. Or you throw some waddage @ it and step back into yer molten car's $45-55k range. Fekkyeah.

Oh, this is happening. It's on bishes.

Give me a day or 3 and I'll have something thrown together hopefully. Heck, even What's Her Face is sitting here surfing on her laptop in parallel for organization suggestions (she's a bleeding heart save the world Freedom Fighter type, s'plains why I's gots no monays lol).

We'll ask / wait for Mark's final insurance declination before this goes live.

Sound good?

Open to any insight or suggestions. I just quickly looked @ some options I've seen out there before - great sites / products... that... take 7.9% thankyouverymuch. That'd increase the donor need by 30 or so. I think we can grassroots this ourselves w/o outside service.

WHAT SAY YOU GENTS?

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

I have really mixed emotions. Part of me says that people should be allowed to help out if they want, but the normal response when anyone offers any of us assistance is to push it back, not accept it. That's prideful, and probably somewhat selfish, but the way most of us have been raised to respond.

What a dream, wouldn't that be nice if hundreds of people came forward with a simple C note to right what I did wrong....man, with a pyramid scheme like that I could actually get another 930! But what about the other guy that blew his engine, ran into a phone pole, had his wheels stolen....you get the picture, where do we draw the line (I too would offer help if I were on the other side of the fence). The assistance I've lent to this form was given freely (and learned freely from many of you, I might add) and will continue to be given freely because I still want to see the rest of you enjoy yours to the max.

Charity is a wonderful thing and if someone really wants to help me out toward the purchase of another, then that is a choice you can make. I would feel like a gold digger if someone opened up an account for deposits. That's the kind of thing you do for kids with cancer and families in need.

It's such a shame, being just a couple/three years from retirement and thoughts of really enjoying the 930 - going to rallies, shows, etc. and just plain being cool around the "chicks".

You guys are stellar in my book. Thank you......
Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)
Banned

Paulito - check out YouCaring.com . . . looks promising.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)
Banned

And Paula, you mention above about a shortage of money due to the wife's spending habbits, weeellllllll, you could raise some quick cash by selling your new, don't fit right, pimp rimz and buying these bad boyz instead (tires included) -

Porsche 944 911 Phone Dial Wheels Set of 4 7JX15 Et 52 3 | eBay
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: