Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Aluminum cross member after soda blasting. I'm sure I could have cleaned it up even more, but I was running out of soda..

Also cleaned up and refurbished the front torsion bars adjustment end caps. The rear torsion bar housings were beyond sanding and re-plating. The rust was bubbling were the rubber bushings has rested, so I got new ones from the OPC. I was disappointed that they were blue plated and not yellow/gold plated like they used to be. Too much work to strip and re-plate at this stage. I need the car finished by April, so that will have to wait.

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Front suspension parts back from blasting and powder coating. I can't use old and dirty bolts on this! Need to get all new bolts and washers, and they have to be the yellow zink plate as well.

I'm almost ready to test the new zinc plating kit. I'm very anxious about how this turns out. If it produces a good result, I'm going to load up with standard 8.8 steel bolts and nuts from the local HW store, and plate them up so I have a small store of yellow nuts and bolts for the Porsche. Yellow cromated hardware is much harder to come by, and at Wurth you have to buy 50 or 100 of each piece, and they are not the cheapest around

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Blasted parts are sent to the plater for zinc plating. I did'nt expect it to take a week, so in the meantime I have installed the 935 lollipop seats that just arrived from DP Motorsports

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Got stuff back from the plater finally. Looks pretty nice.
A thing that bugs me is that it seems that Porsche have stopped using yellow plating on their harware now. Ordered some bolts, nuts washers etc, and nothing was yellow plated. The big bottom bolts for the rear shocks looks like something out of a power mast.

Luckily I cleaned up a bunch of stuff and sent it of to the plater. Other things I did myself. Although the stuff I plate myself have a different apperance that when done proffesionally, it still looks better that the new factory stuff.

Shop plating on top. The shop plating is much more shiny. Mine looks almost like aluminum plating.

My replated bolts compared to the OEM.
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 04-11-2014, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Nice meeting you last week, Arnljot!
The car is coming together really nicely.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Chris. It was great meeting you too. I had a good time in Phoenix. The TPS arrangement I got from you conflicts with the WUR, so I might have to relocate that. I haven't had the time to look into this yet as the suspension work take most of my time. I have got this fix now about either replace old and dirty parts, screws etc with new, or clean them up and replate. Now that I see how dirty the underbody and wheel wells are, I think I'll take her out for a dry-ice blasting. That should clean her up fine. I also bought this cheap soda blaster which is really nice to clean things like the brake calippers etc. Only takes the dirt and old loose paint. Had to buy a blasting cabinet as well....

This was never ment to be a restoration, but I hate to put back dirty and greasy parts.

Here's some pictures from the front end comming together:

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: