Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Waste Gate Dump Pipe

Is there any advantage to removing the the Waste Gate Muffler and going with a fabspeed or rarelyl8 dump pipe?

will the sound be loader?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No restriction, more sound. You can point it under the engine toward the ground to quiet things down a bit.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It makes the most awesome sound. I have the RL8 pipe. My wife calls my 930 for "the cobra" now from the whooshing sound when the WG open.
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

More sound and depending on how the rest of the motor and exhaust system is set up there may be more upper rpm boost creep with the wastegate muffler because of it's restriction to flow.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
It makes the most awesome sound. I have the RL8 pipe. My wife calls my 930 for "the cobra" now from the whooshing sound when the WG open.
My WG doesn't (uh....didn't) whoosh.....it would roar when opened! Simply glorious, it would tell me that it's time to pay attention and be with the moment. I ran without the littlle muffler and just went straight out to the faux tailpipe.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

Mark I am sorry to hear of your loss with the House and 930. Hopefully you are your family are safe!

as far as my waste gate muffler is concerned, My car makes a fair bit of sound with whooshing and popping ... With the dump added and the muffler removed that whooshing and popping will be more pronounced??
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed964 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

Mark I am sorry to hear of your loss with the House and 930. Hopefully you are your family are safe!

as far as my waste gate muffler is concerned, My car makes a fair bit of sound with whooshing and popping ... With the dump added and the muffler removed that whooshing and popping will be more pronounced??
Yes, but it isn't obnoxiously loud. It's improved symphony of sound. The popping has nothing to do with your wastegate...that's all muffler related.

Test it out, pull off your little WG muffler, just takes a couple of minutes. Then go for a spirited ride.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Mark... Once I get the car back from the paint shop I will size it up.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My WG straight through pipe is directed right at the asphalt. As such, maybe it accentuates the sound more since the sound is bouncing off of the street, but I don't like the loud whoosh it makes. My exhaust note is much more awesome without the whoosh. One of these days I'm going to add a muffler back on.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Huh, that's interesting Geoff.

I'm with Mark, my RL8 dump stump is more a BWAAAAAAA!!! than a WHOOOSH! In fact, it was VERY MUCH whoooosh when I ran the OE Briggs & Stratton muffler. Like shredding a hundred phonebooks at once.

Now it's more kickass sounding. Surprised your dump isn't. Weird.

Popping could mean you're running to lean btw... I used to get a solid amount until I tweaked my mixture. Now I get nearly none, and I don't even run the flying saucer thingy decal valve.

Hope that helps. As Mark said, yank it (er, the muffler) and give it a whirl. Methinks upon which then you'll want to "yank it" 8-)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I just got pulled over because the cop heard my dump pipe and looked up from his cell phone or doughnut to see what all the commotion was about.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

A few guys with open WG mufflers have been flagged at the track for too much noise under boost. They are running 98db limits in some places here.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

with my Hooligan muffler I don't hear the waste gate open anymore ;o)
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yea, if mine went BWAAAAAAA, I would love it. But it sounds like a big leak in a high pressure air hose.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Huh, that's interesting Geoff.

I'm with Mark, my RL8 dump stump is more a BWAAAAAAA!!! than a WHOOOSH! In fact, it was VERY MUCH whoooosh when I ran the OE Briggs & Stratton muffler. Like shredding a hundred phonebooks at once.

Now it's more kickass sounding. Surprised your dump isn't. Weird.

Popping could mean you're running to lean btw... I used to get a solid amount until I tweaked my mixture. Now I get nearly none, and I don't even run the flying saucer thingy decal valve.

Hope that helps. As Mark said, yank it (er, the muffler) and give it a whirl. Methinks upon which then you'll want to "yank it" 8-)...

Could it be that the sound depends on the type of waste gate, or the restrictions in the tubing from the plenum. I have a Tial 46mm Wastegate and very open and straight tubing in my RarlyL8 headers. Not much restrictions there (although I tend to overboost quite a bit).
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
Yea, if mine went BWAAAAAAA, I would love it. But it sounds like a big leak in a high pressure air hose.
I had the same problem once. Mine had a small spring in the wast gate which opened most the time making that loud sound more annoying since it would happen at not full throttle.
I since added the larger spring for other reasons and also angled the pipe another direction which helped a lot. Then I did some more things to the pipe making it exit like the standard exhaust pipe with larger diameter tip etc.. and that also helped and made it sound cool.......not sure why, just different dynamics at work I guess.
I'd play with it, changes make smiles.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks, Quattro! Yes, I will try some redirection, etc. I do have a 1 bar spring, though.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I've run .8 bar at Lime Rock with one of Rarelyl8's WG dump pipes. It's a very strict track with regards to DB level (88db I believe). No problems yet.

If you muffle the WG how do the hellhounds get out?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Sure you're not mistaking a blow off valve? Open WG is non-muffled exhaust.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
A few guys with open WG mufflers have been flagged at the track for too much noise under boost. They are running 98db limits in some places here.
I resemble that comment....
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: