Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Brake cooling mod possibilities

My car came with a 964 body kit i took off the rear flaps to paint and replace, but im thinking i would like to use existing 964 flared guard cover over top of factory guard with the possibility in mind to make a hole in it to match up to the steel hole in the fender so as to promote brake cooling,

Thats my idea,
i think id need to find a way to have a (tube) of some type, from the outside fender through the factory fender to divert air to the brakes,

Ive seen the long slotted brake vents like on the slantnose models, but i dont wont to go with anything that noticeable,
Just a neat efficent looking setup,

Has anyone done this or similar to their car or got any ideas on executing it?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
YES, I've got some ideas:

step 1:

remove TiAl decal

step 2:

ENJOY

HTH, good luck

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Frankly I'm not a fan of adding for the sake of bling, unless you are doing some serious tracking, cooling rear brakes would be pretty low on the priority list, fronts would be another matter.

For the sake of answering the question, since you already have a 964 body kit, why don't you go with a Turbo S brake duct higher up? Sorry for the sideways pic, I grabbed it off google (this guy has got some serious color sanding to do on that orange peel....).

Or take a look at this...

'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 02-11-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
Frankly I'm not a fan of adding for the sake of bling, unless you are doing some serious tracking, cooling rear brakes would be pretty low on the priority list, fronts would be another matter.

For the sale of answering the question, since you already have a 964 body kit, why don't you go with a Turbo S brake duct higher up? Sorry for the sideways pic, I grabbed it off google (this guy has got some serious color sanding to do on that orange peel....).

Or take a look at this...

I like the Size and overall shape of the turbo duct, but it would be interesting to have it lower down horizontal to brake height have it narrower with a sharper edges and then funnel through to the disks...

You following me Karusyp?
I bet in life your one of those tailgaters always behind the car never getting past, happy to yell and scream and complain how everyone else is wrong and their cars are crap and yours is the best...
Whenever i post your right there with some stupid and useless comment, This is an information forum where adults express ideas, questions and answers and i think women are more than welcome here so you really don't need to try to compete here to show us you can have balls, i for one really don't want to see them, So why don't you try to inject something constructive for a change without criticism of others, (your not that funny) and you never know it might actually make you a better person for it.

If you want to talk S#@T go into the off topic forum im sure they will welcome you there with your words of wisdom
Old 02-10-2014, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Morning, Robbby-

I think you mean me?

I am sorry my feeble attempt at humor has offended you, here and elsewhere. That was very much not my intention whatsoever. I really enjoy a good laugh (esp @ my own expense) however not everyone either gets it or appreciates it, and I understand that. I don't take myself too srsly.

I'd use my go-to "lighten up Francis" pic/quote but unfort any intended humor therein would too be misconstrued, so I will merely say... my apologies for bustin yer bauls and I'll refrain from doing it to you going forward (others, say - Ronnie for random sexample - won't fare so luckily).

Definitely did not mean anything by it, had a fair number of GennyCreams in me last night (nuthin but the best!) after tinkering w/ my POS.

OT forum? Never. Ever. Talk about a colossal waste of time. I have a life, thanks 8-)...

Good luck w/ yer project, and maybe have a laugh sometime... it's fun.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-11-2014, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Rob, you should probably cut Paul some slack as he is undoubtedly compensating for personal shortcomings (think genitalial proportions)

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 02-11-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Robby, I feel you'r trying to bring her back to stock and this would bring it away from that. This is the hole for torsion bar replacement and uses a cover from the factory, which I think looks correct.
As for brake cooling, there are less obvious scoops used for track days and are effective or so I'm told.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Robby, I feel you'r trying to bring her back to stock and this would bring it away from that. This is the hole for torsion bar replacement and uses a cover from the factory, which I think looks correct.
As for brake cooling, there are less obvious scoops used for track days and are effective or so I'm told.

Ok my bad sorry Karuysp, must be the medication i get paranoid, missus keeps telling me to cut down on the paint chips

Ok so in factory form the holes are covered with the splash guards then?
i get it,
ill need to find a less obvious scoop then an aesthetic looking dam to integrate into it, i like the bare steel showing on it would look better my opinion, than to have guards covering it completely, ill google a few images see some other mods

Ive actually now changed/converted my stance on the stock thing..

The car will stay a matching numbers car but i want it to go faster, look better but want to keep with Porsche parts (outside of the msd ignition i am buying)

As so far ive
upgraded later model brakes, (porsche)

bought an IC from a later model 930 car, yet to put in, waiting on inlet manifold and diverter valve housing, (Porsche)

getting a roof for it as currently its a dry weather car as there is no roof, no cab roof on it, nothing lol, but its quite light , might keep it like that for a while

Extra oil cooler (porsche)

that sort of thing,
im confident that keeping most of the upgrades installed factory porsche, it is an improvement to the car both in value (value debatable) and reliability

But if done right i feel great added value can be had by updating an early 930 with late model 930 replacement parts, or at least it wont devalue it too much.

Last edited by Robbbyg; 02-11-2014 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

what about spacing out the leading edge of the cover similar to the rocker vent on a 288 GTO? and making a custom duct for it it would look stockish and subtle but pretty trick.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: