Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
To fully restore the car or not?

My '86 930 has only 22k miles, all original paint, interior, etc. I bought it from the original owner (well there was one before him who bought the car new and sold it after 1 year) who bought it in 1987 and sold to me 2013. So 26 years with 1 guy. It has very few records due to the previous owner doing nothing but a couple of oil changes and 1 big build where it was modified. The mods he did were andial fuel enrichment system, cams, turbo, intercooler, clutch, muffler. That said, I have all the original parts except the clutch and cams.

The bad: the hood and a couple of spots that the previous owner touched up over the years with touch up paint looks, well, crappy. A dot here and there but it is plainly visible. Also, the underside was pretty dirty and while I cleaned it pretty good it is still a little grimy. The interior is virtually flawless but the carpet could use a shampoo to really spruce it up. Also, it came with boxed rockers but I have originals that I can install, no biggie.

I was going to cryo the underside and the original parts and then do some work to bring back some originality like undercoating and stuff like that.

I don't drive the car too much. Just a blast here and there for fun.

Question is is this where I begin or end? I know paint is important but do I paint the hood (the worst offender) and leave the rest? Original paint cars are what everyone wants but does a few amateur filled-in chips constitute a respray of those panels? Do I return the entire car to stock and ruin my fun?

Trying to decide how far to go as values on these cars is crazy and if the trend continues concours quality cars will always fetch the most. Problem is then you can't drive it too much. I have been offered money on the spot on 3 drives but turned them all down. I am driver and it's tough for me to keep something like this garaged but if every mile subtracts from value....My mind is racing!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

It seems like you have your answer already. You want to drive.

Option 1) drive your car, and don't worry about it

Option 2) if your car is very valuable to someone because of low miles and/or originality, then sell it for top dollar, and buy a higher mile hot rod for less money, pocket the difference. Then drive your "new" 930 and don't worry about it.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
I think the first question you have to ask is if you own the car to drive it, or is it an investment? Seems lately a lot of 930 owners are so fixated on the value of the car; I bought mine to DRIVE it.

Enjoy it man and don't sweat the value. Personally speaking - if I was going to do paint work to a car, I would take the plunge and do it all. Would be hard to match up panels without blending and then you're digging into the paint anyhow.

But like I said - you just need to evaluate your ownership position in the car. If you want to have fun, have fun and don't fixate on value. If you want to maintain value then you should leave it alone as it seems value is closely tied to originality with these cars.

The choice is yours my friend. I say - HAVE FUN.

Chris.

P.S. - I just wanted to say the main reason I bought a 930 was so that I could own a car that was a pleasure to drive and wouldn't depreciate immensely over the years while allowing me to enjoy it. Had I wanted to own a car as an investment, I would have bought a 993TT.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
/\ /\ /\
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I think I am just going to do the cryo-detail to bring the underside up to the standards of the body/interior. I don't need to detail it any further or worry about the paint.

I have to keep the mods as it is too awesome to dial back. When I sell it (if I sell it?) I can bolt the original parts back on.

I had a concours quality Camaro Z28 RS a few years ago. The numbers matching full deal. It was nerve racking driving it and even worse if I drove through anything wet. Cleaning the underside. I don't want that again.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post

Option 2) if your car is very valuable to someone because of low miles and/or originality, then sell it for top dollar, and buy a higher mile hot rod for less money, pocket the difference. Then drive your "new" 930 and don't worry about it.
Sage advise, that.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
I think I am just going to do the cryo-detail to bring the underside up to the standards of the body/interior. I don't need to detail it any further or worry about the paint.

I have to keep the mods as it is too awesome to dial back. When I sell it (if I sell it?) I can bolt the original parts back on.

I had a concours quality Camaro Z28 RS a few years ago. The numbers matching full deal. It was nerve racking driving it and even worse if I drove through anything wet. Cleaning the underside. I don't want that again.
I completely understand. My 930 replaced a car that was a garage queen and it was a love/hate relationship. I was constantly scared to drive it. The 930 represents a tremendous value for the car as a whole. You can enjoy it and drive the heck out of it. I love that I don't get butt-hurt if I get a new rock chip. I do prefer to keep my car clean, but that's more because I have too many cars to try to keep clean. I don't sweat this car. I take it out and flog the crap out of it when I drive and I love it. They were meant to be driven.

I feel sorry for cars that linger because they have too much value to be enjoyed.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hell, I've had my car for 6 years and have never once waxed it....that should tell you what I think.

You only live once, drive the piss out of it!!

Mark
Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I agree with the previous posts. I think I remember you saying you're in South Florida.
If spendng money on your driving experience is possible check out Palm Beach International Raceway driving school and track days... formerly Moroso. It's out beeline highway in western Jupiter, Florida across the road from Pratt Whitney.
Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR)
We're lucky we don't have snow so we can drive year round. It's 81 degrees and sunny out right now with babe filled beach's to the east. Free parking at the beach in Jupiter... nice.

We also have Sebring and Homestead not far away and Daytona 3.5 hours north.
If you drive and enjoy the car you're going to get more stone chips so why worry about it. On top of that there are a lot of '86 through '88 930's out there and they are not collector cars yet like the 3.0 '76 and '77 turbo's and then the '78 and '79 3.3 turbo's.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hell, I've had my car for 6 years and have never once waxed it....that should tell you what I think.

You only live once, drive the piss out of it!!

Mark
Now that's silly!!! You can wax a 930 in an hour! They are so small! Funny!!!!
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
not to mention, rubbing all of its bulbousbits is downright erotic!

(JIMP!)

that said, I've only waxed mine (er, car) a handful (errrrr) of times - and it's verymuch due for some spring lovin

after seeing Gavin's pics of his gleaming Guards Red in the 'wheels' post just now, can't deny the inspiration...

back on topic... um, yeah - what everyone else said... drive it w/ yer hair on fire, white knuckles, puckered sphincter. Screw the value, unless THAT is WHY you bought / own it

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Mark
Pure sacrilege! May the Porsche gods strike you from this forum.

Speaking of wax, I'm just waxing nostalgic here....but not for long I hope. I have to admit that I waxed mine only once a year, probably 'cause my old man had taught me that it was important. Damned if I could see any difference, it didn't seem to make the car go any faster and the stinkin' bugs still stuck to it.
My attitude is swinging your way; you only live once, drive the piss outa it!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 02-11-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The the op..your car sounds like its in perfect drivers shape...minor things that I'm sure give character to the car.....don't sweat the small stuff...enjoy that thing!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I've gone native

I would have the hood professionally done, not re sprayed, you'd be surprised how well they do.
I would acquire or store all the stock parts, selling a car w simple boltons with the stock stuff in boxes is just fine. You will miss the hp.
Your z sounds like my old slant, as nice as it was, I was afraid to drive it 1/2 the time. A 505 slant is irreplaceable, thus undrivable. The regular 930 is a welcome change.
I'm currently acquiring stock parts bc mine didn't come with any, I may never even put them on to be honest.
C
Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

For deep questions like this we can draw wisdom from Nelly, last seen driving the 356 cab in "Hey Porsche"

Why you at the bar if you ain't poppin the bottles?
What good is all the fame if you ain't f***ing the models?
I see you drivin, sportscar, ain't hittin the throttle
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbeiter View Post
For deep questions like this we can draw wisdom from Nelly, last seen driving the 356 cab in "Hey Porsche"

Why you at the bar if you ain't poppin the bottles?
What good is all the fame if you ain't f***ing the models?
I see you drivin, sportscar, ain't hittin the throttle
Now trust me, I do hit the throttle, the bottle, and my take on a model!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well.....if you saw the condition of my front end paint, you would not waste the hour of time needed to wax it.

Besides that's an hour I could be driving it!

I've put 68,000 miles on mine in the 5 1/2 years I've owned it, just drive these suckers!

That's where the real fun is in these things.

Mark
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post

This answer should be kept for people to refer to every time this question is asked.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
What is wrong with restoring it to perfect AND driving it! They are not mutually exclusive.

I always enjoyed the comments I got on my 91 C2 Targa. It looked new and had 147k miles on it when I traded for the 930.

I think that the appreciation you see now will offset mileage added while driving it. If you bought it for $50k with 30k miles on it today, it will be worth that 5 years from now with 100k miles on it.

So drive it and look good doing it.

P.S. Waxing it once a year is corrosion control. It is how 30 year old paint stays new looking.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

What's a 505???
You could always just buy a second one and only put half as many miles on each. Or a third one and the math gets even better
Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: