Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

was rompin' on the ol' girl...

My 930 that is, and pop! then a rev to the moon later I am on the side of the road with a good sounding engine, gears that seemed intact, but nooooo movement. Axles are good, CV's etc. so out the lump came today. Tomorrow I will dig in.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice looking setup, maybe you're better off, now you can gain access to anything you want to do. The towing and stuff was not fun though i'm sure.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Trans issues?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hope it's something not too serious, like maybe a pressure plate issue.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The same thing happened to a customer's car years back and if I recall correctly it was the clutch disc had separated itself from it's center. I am hoping this may be similar. Thanks for the comps on my set up. I designed and built that same one for a few 930 locals years ago. Allows access to 90% of everything serviceable with out removing anything, and keeps the factory AC intact while being very low cost which is always a plus.
I did that project to get rid of all the ancient bypass valve assembly and other assorted nonsense on these engines. Changes the way they behave for sure. Any way back on topic, I will be separating the trans from the engine tomorrow and inspecting the clutch. If nothings amiss I will tear down the trans and find out what happened,
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I too vote for a busted clutch disc. Breaking a 930 box ain't happening unless something freakish happened.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I would think clutch disk also. Is it one of the rubber center disks?

Rahl
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

yes it is rubber centered. I have always wondered about the wattage of the bulb over that engineer's head...OILONLY, I have cheap access to a rollback but still no fun at all.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

solved

The rubber centered clutch let loose. Man I thought these were able to hold 400hp at 18psi
Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Glad to hear it was only a relatively minor problem, or at least easily fixable now that you have the engine out.

When I see threads like this, I feel like I am the only one on the w2hole internet without access to an actual shop and I become enraged with jealosy!

Not really but I wish I had access to the kind of space you are showing. Good luck with the repair. Engine looks great.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, it looks like the typical failure mode for those rubber centered clutch disks. Good to you are fixing it so quickly. I'm sure you will enjoy getting it back on the road asap.

Rahl
Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuen Werke View Post
yes it is rubber centered. I have always wondered about the wattage of the bulb over that engineer's head...OILONLY, I have cheap access to a rollback but still no fun at all.
same engineer who left out $10 worth of relays in the headlight circuit.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the encouragement guys but I have 5 other 930's in here needing my attention so this one is on the back burner for a week or two. I'm in here 6 days a week just to get it all done. Thanks ASCHEN, yes this is def. bigger than my old shop which was 3200sq.'. This one is 32 up front in the mechanical dept. and 32 in the rear for the body shop. But keep your chin up, I started 22 years ago in a two car garage with no heat!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000RR View Post
same engineer who left out $10 worth of relays in the headlight circuit.
Probably the same guy who decided that the wiring to the gauges should be left un-fused, too!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
It was the same engineer who took the money for the relays, fuses, and Efi and put into the way over engineered heat control between the seats!!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: