Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Now about this:

"I have a good functioning CIS, but the next time any expensive components go tits up..."

I thought we were going to stop profaning each other? Well, I guess there's really nothing profane about them thar things....
No plans to stop on this front!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Looks like Mercedes Bob will sell you your very own injector testor:

Mercedes Bosch CIS Gas Fuel Injector Bench Testing and Cleaning Part 3: Procedure - YouTube
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
"This method will not clean all injectors". Boy there's an understatement. I use his pump to test spray patterns, not clean the injectors. You need to lodge the pintle open to actually clean the little chunks of crap out that are cought in the bottom. Jim had a nice write-up on this some time ago. Back flushing is better IMO.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
EFI can be a very expensive proposition. I wouldn't be so quick to can the CIS.
Converted my archaic Motronic to MegaSquirt with fully programmable ignition for $1,500.

Dzug ITB setup fuel only (no ignition control) is $5,000. To add fully programmable ignition is only a couple/few hundred bucks if you go without coil-on-plug.

Of course this is all DIY costs, having a shop do it multiplies this.

If I could recommend something is have EFI tuned by someone. Although happy with mine, it's not quite OEM in all facets it could be.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That is completely unrealistic for most folks. If you cannot DIY the entire deal it's gonna cost you plenty and don't expect to see your car for a year. You wouldn't believe the horror stories I've heard. One client took his 500WHP 930 to three different "name brand" shops. $30,000 later his car still didn't run right so he sold it. That's the only story I will ever have to hear to never have this done to my car unless I do it myself.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I could convert a 930 I believe in a weekend or two if I had all the parts up front. I would encourage everyone to read the MegaManual for MegaSquirt. Everything you need to know is published on the web for FREE. Another source is MSExtra, a group who wrote "better" code for the product. Also free.

There's no reason a properly setup EMS cannot be tuned. I bet the client you speak of had an electrical circuit that was not optimum causing quirky issues.

I started my process barely knowing how to properly solder (I can weld arc, MIG, and oxy/acetylene) to producing a very low noise system by reading the MegaManual. High noise means bad solder joints, poor connections, improper grounding, etc., a testament to the knowledge MS puts out there.

I would have liked to see your clients car to understand what exactly he was experiencing that caused poor running.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You did it yourself, as I said THAT is the key.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I could convert a 930 I believe in a weekend or two if I had all the parts up front. I would encourage everyone to read the MegaManual for MegaSquirt. Everything you need to know is published on the web for FREE. Another source is MSExtra, a group who wrote "better" code for the product. Also free.

There's no reason a properly setup EMS cannot be tuned. I bet the client you speak of had an electrical circuit that was not optimum causing quirky issues.

I started my process barely knowing how to properly solder (I can weld arc, MIG, and oxy/acetylene) to producing a very low noise system by reading the MegaManual. High noise means bad solder joints, poor connections, improper grounding, etc., a testament to the knowledge MS puts out there.

I would have liked to see your clients car to understand what exactly he was experiencing that caused poor running.
You should advertise that you can perform this service and make some side cash.
I might be interested if this could be made into a turn-key project.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Installation is the easy part, tuning to OEM levels is outside my expertise.

Getting closer, but not there yet.

I have learned from another on this board that I'll withhold his name so he doesn't get bombarded by PM's.

But yes, I may take on folks projects pending understanding there are limitations.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: