Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

"An for the 10,000th time Fairman, it is not a emissions device."
Then lets just agree to disagree
I've seen them on other older motors with carburetors and mechanical fuels injection with no engine management and they are named different things on different cars. They are always there to lower emissions and I can't imagine or think of any other use for a vacuum limiter or throttle body bypass valve that is opened by high intake manifold vacuum during closed throttle deceleration.

My car runs so much better with it removed. Fuel injection and igntion timing is not stock on my car either.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Wouldn't it make sense that when the throttle body is suddenly closed, that the lack of air would cause a very low AFR and associated gasses puking out the exhaust pipe...said gasses being emmissions concerns to some federal agencies? Let some air get in there past the throttle body to lean things out to a more acceptable emissions level?

Maybe Porsche put them on for an entirely different reason, so perhaps they serve two functions. Just saying....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Ummmm....don't forget to put some hose clamps on those capped off ports. Remember, that manifold has full boost pressure in it.

Just sayin.....they just might prevent you from having an embarrasing moment out on the streets :}

Mark
Old 02-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Ummmm....don't forget to put some hose clamps on those capped off ports. Remember, that manifold has full boost pressure in it.

Just sayin.....they just might prevent you from having an embarrasing moment out on the streets :}

Mark
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. They might not blow off first time you hit boost without hose clamps but when the motor gets hot, being rubber they will soften up and there's a very good chance they eventually will blow off at the worst possible time.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Oh dont worry, I would never not put a hose clamp on. Though from me fumbling through this I can understand why you would think I wouldnt.

So the line I need to reconnect I had to "persuade" to come off initially so the next step is finding a replacement. Swung by the shop and rummaged around and found some candidate and orders some other new bulk hose to fix it permanently.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. They might not blow off first time you hit boost without hose clamps but when the motor gets hot, being rubber they will soften up and there's a very good chance they eventually will blow off at the worst possible time.
You gents must be similar to the naturally aspirated 911 version - way too slow (see post #10)!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Ok, so i updated the pics/info since I had the incorrect info posted.

In case anyone is curious as to sound/rev fall after this mod here is my car (without the mixture tuned).

Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Thought I would provide a small update here for those looking to delete the decel/vacuum limiter. I have put about 2K miles on the car since removing it.

As other state the revs between gear shift fall much more quickly. Being that I am used to and enjoy driving older cars the rev-drop feels allot more normal to me. Perhaps the only drawback is I did notice that predictably it does feel like it takes a little longer to build boost when your going for it. Really though its almost imperceptible.

Sound wise I enjoy the burbling and popping when you lift and coast down in gear. There are of course situations (extended city traffic, stop and go) where it becomes obnoxious. Its just added theater to an already obnoxious car though.

One small thing to note though. I am running a B&B dual out muffler and I think that since I removed the valve that it has gotten louder overall. Its not a stretch to hypothesize that all that popping has loosened some of the mufflers packing. It very well could be just age as well.

There you go. Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Just my opinion but with the stock muffler i preffered to keep it disconnected since the popping was not so noticable. But when i went with an aftermarket muffler the popping noise was too much for me so i connected it back up. Yes the hang up in RPM's between shifts is annoying sometimes.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: