Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fan question

I am making a few aesthetic improvements to my engine compartment. When I removed my fan I noticed a small chunk (about half the size of a penny) missing from one of the blades.

Does anyone see this as a reason to replace the fan or should it be o.k.?

I was considering having the fan polished out. Has anyone had this done & how does it hold up?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
90 vw Corrado
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

If you search terms such as , "show me your fan" in the 911 forum you will come up with days of reading regarding fans. And personally, I would not use a chipped fan (unless I repaired, and then painted it, like many have done in the past).

Show me your...Fan!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 02-19-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
If you search terms such as , "show me your fan" in the 911 forum you will come up with days of reading regarding fans. And personally, I would not use a chipped fan (unless I repaired, and then painted it, like many have done in the past).

Show me your...Fan!
+1.

Don't care about painting it, but concern about balance and unwanted vibrations... change it!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

If it were my fan, it would be powdercoated really nice...... and then hanging on the shop wall somewhere... I would not run a chipped fan in the car. The fan, subjected to centrifugal forces, over time, has the chance of failure with a chipped blade, not to mention the imbalance it will have... which will pay havoc on your alternator bearings.....

Cheap insurance to buy another one, instead of replacing all of the other components, after a catostrophic failure... my .02
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: