Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

That is really cool, this makes sense for anyone with a nice collectors car.

If you have a early car this is a no brainer for sure.

The amount of surface rust it took off looks amazing it looks like the thing just road of the assembly line. DAMN!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I was ready to buy headers and a new exhaust system. After this detail it looks nearly new and I am keeping it. So right there I saved quite a bit of money.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
It is NOT cheap but it does take a special machine, a lot of dry ice, and for my car nearly 3 days of work. But it should cost around $1500-$2,000 depending on needs. I also brought in all my OEM parts that were taken off and they look brand new. Truly amazing.

I think for cars like these which are not garage queens this investment will definitely get your money back plus a bunch more. It is that good.
I see our tax brackets are different!

Beautiful!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
I was ready to buy headers and a new exhaust system. After this detail it looks nearly new and I am keeping it. So right there I saved quite a bit of money.
Um... yeah... you can (should) still do that ya know

Headers do slightly more than look good...

Tippy... too funny. That will allllways be the challenge of forums... there are so may folks who spend what you or I make in a year on their engine build. Spins mah head. Good for them, of course!

Makes it kinda hard to keep the chin up, but we must persevere 8-).

I keep waiting for my invite to that club

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 02-25-2014 at 07:55 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

^^ truth
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I hope that this process did not remove the epoxy paint coating on any original dilavar head studs you may have, because that would be bad.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Published in the December 2011 issue of “Die Porsche Kassette”

Freeze Your Road Grime! by Pedro P. Bonilla (GCR PCA)
In this era of eco-friendliness where everyone wants to be green and help preserve and protect the planet, sometimes it seems that we can’t.
I mean, how can you remove years and years of road grime on a Porsche’s engine, tranny, and under carriage without using harsh chemicals such as degreasers, solvents, abrasives, acids, etc., etc.?
Well, I just ran into the coolest and most eco-friendliest way of doing this.
I went to visit the owner a local Porsche Shop in the area, and when I got there I saw something that made my heart skip a beat or two.
“It is safe on paint, soft rubber, decals, etc.” and he then showed me how safe it was by blasting the beautiful, Carrera Silver, left fender on the Carrera GT with his nozzle. I carefully inspected it, and it was perfect!

“We do not add anything else. It’s just pressurized air and CO2“. “Come with me, let me show you what’s inside the machine”. I followed him and we went to a giant blue plastic bin which as he opened it I could see that it was full of what looked like steaming rice. It was obviously rice-like CO2 pellets.
“The machine is fairly simple”, he said, “it’s a big air compressor which generates very dry, pressurized air, then uses the pressure and a venturi to add the CO2 pellets to the stream of compressed air through a hose. Before it reaches the end, we install the correct size-for-the-task mesh and nozzle for the particular job we’re doing”.
“So, depending on the air pressure, on the dry-ice particle size and on the nozzle’s diameter and length we can do such delicate work as clean the white thread’s stitching on a leather seat or we can strip off paint.”

“Why dry ice?” I asked.
He answered: “The cold temperature, which can be brought down to 111〬F below zero basically deep-freezes the grime which is then blasted away by the air pressure and the small dry ice pellets. That’s why there’s no residue other than the dirt we’ve just removed.”

“So did you guys invent this or what?”
“No”, he said, “this technology is actually used by Porsche and its dealers in Germany, as a standard service. We’re just the first in the area to offer this service.”
When I got back to my office I went online to check and I found this on Porsche’s European Website:
To learn more about Cryo Detail and more, please visit my website at:
www.PedrosGarage.com.

Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

© 2011 Technolab/PedrosGarage.com

They had a Carrera GT (yes, the $400,000 supercar from Porsche) on a lift and I could have sworn that they were sandblasting the $20,000 CCCB (Carbon Ceramic Composite Brakes) rotors and calipers. I though my friend had just lost it!
I quickly ran over to stop the madness, but as I got closer, I saw that what was coming out of the nozzle wasn’t sand, but what looked like water vapor.
“Cool”, I said to the owner, “using steam to clean the car?” “Nope”, he said, “that’s not steam, it’s CO2 “ (carbon dioxide).
I was immediately intrigued and started asking questions:
“So, what is it and how does it work?”, “How do you generate CO2 under pressure?”, “Will it peel off the caliper’s paint?”, “What other chemicals do you add to the CO2 in order to clean?”, and a bunch of other ones.

He stopped what he was doing and started to explain:
“This is called Cryo Detailing and we’re the first ones in the South East to apply the technology to automotive use. It has a very powerful, specially designed air compressor to blast away oil, grease, and stuck-on grime using only CO2”.

As they were reloading the unit again with the pellets I took a handful (which almost burnt my hand from the intense cold) to photograph them, next to a penny to give you an idea of their size.

But, the skeptic that I am I said: “well, this is nice and dandy on a concour-ready Carrera GT, but does it really work on old, baked-in crud as that on my 14 year-old, 214,000 mile Boxster?
He said, “bring it in tomorrow and I’ll show you.”
The next day I was there bright and early with my old girl.
First I took a couple of “before” pictures to have something to compare. Now, you be the judge:

But maybe what impressed me the most was how delicately the Cryo Detail takes off the grime but leaves the part completely undisturbed.
Take a look at this aluminum suspension part which was scribed at the factory with “2918”. You can see how well it cleaned, yet you can still see that the original aluminum surface was not altered (sandblasted) in any way.

This is really interesting technology, in particular for engine builders, car restorers and Councour D’legance enthusiasts or just anyone who wants their Porsche as clean as possible, even in places that no one ever sees. And the best part – it’s eco-friendly!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like true magic. As someone else said, I've steam cleaned my whole setup and it gets nowhere near this.
Does it work on humans?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

There is a place in my area that rents these dry ice cleaning machines. The rental is far from cheap (~$1000 for a week) but seems cheaper than the service.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Then you need to buy the ice pellets also. See how much that is.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug68 View Post
I am thinking of getting into this business with a friend of mine when he opens his shop in northern NJ. I will keep you guys posted. LMK how many would be interested in getting something like this done.
Definitely interested - Somerset County NJ here.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
The system excluding the dry ice cost around 27,000.00 dollars.The things it does it just fantastic .
Old 03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
The other day after reading this thread I was speaking to a guy who's pretty local to me in the UK who offers this service. Really nice chap, long chat with him.

He was saying that this cryo cleaning process was developed for the aviation industry, non destructive cleaning of components etc....but it can also be used for very delicate work, where he cited an example of restoring valuable books, where "perhaps" they've suffered smoke damage or such. They obviously wind down all the pressures, fit different nozzles, etc, but it's the same freezing process used as it doesn't soak the substrate. Fascinating.

As mentioned though, def not a cheap exercise....typically about £1k/day is their charge, plus the buckets of dry ice, plus if it's to be done offsite to them, then the hire of a compressor with 10bar capability (and presumably extremely large reservoir). Clearly a case of getting a bunch of guys together with as many cars and parts as can be mustered to make best use of the day!
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject

Last edited by Spenny_b; 03-01-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
OG

Garage
I would love to know if this is available in SoCal!!!
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
The shop that did my work also sprayed an aviation type solution over everything that was cryoed to prevent rust and oxidation. It went on wet but dried after a day or so. I'll get the name because I want to spray the other parts that were cleaned.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
=///Criss;7940759]I would love to know if this is available in SoCal!!![/QUOTE]

Contributing to CO2 levels on the Left Coast will no doubt land you a ride to the gallows. ;-)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
OG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqcarrera View Post
=///Criss;7940759]I would love to know if this is available in SoCal!!!
Contributing to CO2 levels on the Left Coast will no doubt land you a ride to the gallows. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Hahahaa your prolly right!!!
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
The shop that did my work also sprayed an aviation type solution over everything that was cryoed to prevent rust and oxidation. It went on wet but dried after a day or so. I'll get the name because I want to spray the other parts that were cleaned.
Was it this stuff?

Given to me by a pal who's a maint engineer on commercial airliners.

I've also got some Dinitrol similar to what the factory use, but clear rather than the disgusting brown they use.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
The product is called T9.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: