Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
To Powder Coat or to NOT???

I'm refurbishing my suspension on the 80' 930, All OEM replacement upgrades from ER. I want to keep the car as original as possible but have seen some owners powder coat suspension parts i.e. Front A arms, Torsion bar spring plate covers etc...

Opinions on this? has it been covered in other forums as effecting value from original condition?

I'm using John Deere green paint on my front bilstein strut assembly, but am leery of painting parts.

Advice?

Good? Bad? Don't give a $#@! ?? just curious.
thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I am bolting mine back together right now after powdercoating and yellow zinc plating just about every part that I didn't replace. I can't begin to tell you how nice it looks and it is great to work on it with clean parts. I would do it again.

BTW - my powdercoater had a standard green that was really close to the Bilstein color. So, no additional charge for custom colors.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Personally, I don't like bling for the sake of bling. If you powder coat them do it with semi-gloss black.
Anything else would be along the same lines as jacking up the rear of your muscle car and painting the diff white....bleck, pooee, wretch, gag.

my .02 worth

Mark
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Slow&Rusty did his in body color and silver and I think it looks great. No normal people are going to see it anyway.

930 Coilover Conversion Complete..w\ Pics!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Personally, I don't like bling for the sake of bling. If you powder coat them do it with semi-gloss black.
Anything else would be along the same lines as jacking up the rear of your muscle car and painting the diff white....bleck, pooee, wretch, gag.

my .02 worth

Mark
You know Mark, MANY people would say that your car is just about as blinged out as it can get with the huge wheels and "low rider" slam job!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Quote:

my .02 worth

Mark
Haaaaa......traction bars, open rear, air shocks, deep dish Kragers, single chrome exhaust tip, 307 with headers
Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

^^^ barf

Kragars.......'nuff said. 307 = power of a 6 with gas mileage of an 8.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5aar View Post
Haaaaa......traction bars, open rear, air shocks, deep dish Kragers, single chrome exhaust tip, 307 with headers
C'mon not just any air shocks would do; too be really cool you had to have Gabriel Hijackers. Of course, that was the seventies. As I aged, my taste in the stance of even muscle cars changed, so when I built when my GTO, it was sans air shocks (although with 525whp, traction bars would've been handy once or twice).[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Nice GTO.
Agreed.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick Goat, Norm... one of my all time fave iterations... bet that thing sounded simply ga-narly

and

never tire of seeing yer Mopar's there (name? sorry)... love them blues

440T4SPD... exxxxxxxcellent

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey there Ronnie,

I guess we have a difference in opinion of what bling is....I'm guessing that your proclivity is toward bone stock??

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 02-27-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Hey there Ronnie,

I guess we have a difference in opinion of what bling is....I'm guessing that your proclivity is toward bone stock??
Mark
Nope, they're too slow in stock form, and I'm a horsepower, and/or high performance junkie with "needs" that far exceed my means. I do like to keep the looks of the car "old school", however.

Really, I was just yankin' yer chain a little as it tickled me when you mentioned how "bling" painted suspension components are when I consider a slammed ride to be far more bling than one with painted bits on it.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Unfortunatly, I have a sickness called "slamitis", and there appears to no cure for this ailment.

Symtoms first appeared with my '66 mustang, then progressed to the '67 Ranchero, then to the 930, hell I even lowered my '98 Lincoln Mark VIII. I got caught trying to lower my wifes Volvo S80, but she put the kabosh on that, so....

Mark
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick Goat, Norm... one of my all time fave iterations... bet that thing sounded simply ga-narly

and

never tire of seeing yer Mopar's there (name? sorry)... love them blues

440T4SPD... exxxxxxxcellent
Thanks Paul....name's Adam.....

Sorry for the Muscle Car hijack OP

I say go for the powder coat...proven durable process done correctly...just dont make it look like carribean fruit salad

....and dont swap the flat 6 with a 307 with headers
Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: