Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
We should link up sometime so I can test yours out. I can tell you if you have the 594 pressure plate or not.

You're welcome to try mine and note the difference. I personally am using this setup from Patrick Motorsports: 930 Lightweight Flywheel & Clutch Conversion Package

Except that I am running their billet 60-2 flywheel for EFI.

You're welcome to test it out and see the difference.

My clutch return spring is intact but the pin that it connects to at the pedal broke - so I have no return spring. I need to fix it...

Chris.
Maybe I can do that sometime, I'll let you know if I'm interested in doing so
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TurboKraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,528
Like Fairman said -- check the omega helper spring under the transmission.
Also make sure the cable isn't worn or binding, adding resistance.

We've installed the -594 "Ruf" and the 935 pressure plate in many 930s, and the pedal effort is hardly stiffer than stock, maybe 10%. That's part of the reason we like them so much.
Tom's UBER930 used the 935 pressure plate, he felt it perfectly civilized and easy to use in stop-and-go traffic.
__________________
Chris Carroll
TurboKraft, Inc.
Tel. 480.969.0911
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Like Fairman said -- check the omega helper spring under the transmission.
Also make sure the cable isn't worn or binding, adding resistance.

We've installed the -594 "Ruf" and the 935 pressure plate in many 930s, and the pedal effort is hardly stiffer than stock, maybe 10%. That's part of the reason we like them so much.
Tom's UBER930 used the 935 pressure plate, he felt it perfectly civilized and easy to use in stop-and-go traffic.
I guess I can check that if you say a 935 pressure plate isn't supposed to be that stiff, thanks
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
930T Owner
 
Hams930T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 792
Garage
Jason,

I can actuate the clutch with my arm pretty easily, if that helps you.

Chris.
__________________
Hams930T
1986 930
2015 991 GT3
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Large Member
 
krasuskyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: top of 3rd
Posts: 4,138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
Jason,

I can actuate the clutch with my arm pretty easily, if that helps you.
yeah, but... (pic of Chris' arm):

__________________
Paul... CT | '87 930 | '07 //S6 v10 JNR | '98 ///M3 vert |
past:

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quesnel,B.C. Canada
Posts: 40
Garage
Had the brutal stiff clutch like you described. Mine is a Kep stage one. Rebuilt the pedal cluster and did all the adjustments and spring checks and seen some improvement. Then installed a new cable and like magic it is near stock pedal effort. The inner cable wears through the nylon jacket and then binds against the outer cable. When unhooked it slides like new but under pressure it won't
Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
 
930T Owner
 
Hams930T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 792
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
yeah, but... (pic of Chris' arm):

LOL!!!!! Dayum!!! You caught me! okay I will admit it; I'm a meathead!
__________________
Hams930T
1986 930
2015 991 GT3
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
LOL!!!!! Dayum!!! You caught me! okay I will admit it; I'm a meathead!
Good one
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief View Post
Had the brutal stiff clutch like you described. Mine is a Kep stage one. Rebuilt the pedal cluster and did all the adjustments and spring checks and seen some improvement. Then installed a new cable and like magic it is near stock pedal effort. The inner cable wears through the nylon jacket and then binds against the outer cable. When unhooked it slides like new but under pressure it won't
Does it require much work to do?
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
Jason,

I can actuate the clutch with my arm pretty easily, if that helps you.

Chris.
There's another guy I know who has a 600 hp 997 Turbo and he can actuate the clutch with just his finger. Just for comparison with a more powerful car than mine.
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
930T Owner
 
Hams930T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 792
Garage
Well if you're running a cable actuated clutch it will always be stiffer than that.
__________________
Hams930T
1986 930
2015 991 GT3
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
PrimeMvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 370
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief View Post
Then installed a new cable and like magic it is near stock pedal effort. The inner cable wears through the nylon jacket and then binds against the outer cable. When unhooked it slides like new but under pressure it won't
+1 I just replaced my clutch cable and for the first time since owning it I can depress the pedal all the way with my hand. My arms resemble a finger on the guy that Pauly posted.
__________________
87 930 - Black - 3.4L/964 cams/K29/Powerhaus IC/6AL-2/B&B dual exhaust/MTX-L/235-315 Toyo R888/18" Kinesis wheels/Big Red brakes/LSD
10 997.2 Cab - Speed Yellow
83 SC Cab - Guards Red [SOLD]
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
 
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
Well if you're running a cable actuated clutch it will always be stiffer than that.
I know, I just want to have the clutch be looser so it'll be easier to drive, and so my wife would be able to drive it as well since she has wanted to drive the Slant since I bought it.
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMvr View Post
+1 I just replaced my clutch cable and for the first time since owning it I can depress the pedal all the way with my hand. My arms resemble a finger on the guy that Pauly posted.
Would it take much work to replace the clutch cable? It'd probably be easier if I did it myself, but if it takes a lot of work, I might have a shop do it for me instead.
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
930T Owner
 
Hams930T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 792
Garage
Here's a pelican link to replacing the cable/helper "omega" spring that Chris at TK was referring to: Pelican Technical Article: Replacing and Adjusting the 911 Clutch - Page 1

I would look at the cable, boot, clutch return spring on your pedal box, and the omega spring. All those parts should run you around $350. The labor is up to you.

It's not real hard honestly.

Chris.
__________________
Hams930T
1986 930
2015 991 GT3
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Large Member
 
krasuskyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: top of 3rd
Posts: 4,138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMvr View Post
+1 I just replaced my clutch cable and for the first time since owning it I can depress the pedal all the way with my hand. My arms resemble a finger on the guy that Pauly posted.
Yeah, but...:

__________________
Paul... CT | '87 930 | '07 //S6 v10 JNR | '98 ///M3 vert |
past:

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered User
 
PrimeMvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 370
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlantnose View Post
Would it take much work to replace the clutch cable? It'd probably be easier if I did it myself, but if it takes a lot of work, I might have a shop do it for me instead.
I had the engine out so there was plenty of room for access, but I don't think it would be too bad with it in. The trickiest part was at the pedal end. I think I disconnected the accelerator linkage at the pedal to gain more access to the clutch pin because the accelerator is easy to detach/attach.

I had no issues pulling the old cable out or putting the new one back through the tunnel. I smeared the outside with a very light coating of lithium grease.

In the back at the firewall, just make sure the cable is pushed in firmly before adjusting the clutch. I cycled it a few times and then double-checked. It hadn't moved.
__________________
87 930 - Black - 3.4L/964 cams/K29/Powerhaus IC/6AL-2/B&B dual exhaust/MTX-L/235-315 Toyo R888/18" Kinesis wheels/Big Red brakes/LSD
10 997.2 Cab - Speed Yellow
83 SC Cab - Guards Red [SOLD]
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TT Gasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 323
If this just suddenly happened I would highly suspect the return spring is gone .
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMvr View Post
I had the engine out so there was plenty of room for access, but I don't think it would be too bad with it in. The trickiest part was at the pedal end. I think I disconnected the accelerator linkage at the pedal to gain more access to the clutch pin because the accelerator is easy to detach/attach.

I had no issues pulling the old cable out or putting the new one back through the tunnel. I smeared the outside with a very light coating of lithium grease.

In the back at the firewall, just make sure the cable is pushed in firmly before adjusting the clutch. I cycled it a few times and then double-checked. It hadn't moved.
Oh, okay, maybe I'll try doing that this weekend, or until I buy a new clutch cable.
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Is very busy
 
TheRedSlantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
If this just suddenly happened I would highly suspect the return spring is gone .
It didn't suddenly happen, it was like that when I bought it.
__________________
Jason

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:15 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.