Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

we're having some fun now..

The top row were the original dilivar headstuds and the bottom row were 993TT dilivar headstuds that were installed around 40,000 miles ago by the previous owner.
The 993 ones were in with a lot of loctite and even with map gas on the case around them for about a minute they wanted to stay there and were difficult to turn and remove.
I borrowed a friends Stahlwille stud remover and using a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench it worked great.
It sure left it's mark on the 993 studs.

I have ARP headstuds to go back in when I put it all back together with new Mahle 3.3 turbo pistons and cylinders.
Still have to remove the cam towers form the heads because I removed them together.

According to receipts that came with the car the rod bolts are Raceware. I'm going to remove the rods next and take them to a machine shop for new wrist pin bushes to be installed and honed. I'll ask them if they should be resized.

All the piston rings were intact!

A lot of parts to clean now.

...and yeah, I'm nuts and doing this with the motor in the car.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
...and yeah, I'm nuts and doing this with the motor in the car.
Indeed you are. Why not remove the engine? Any particular reason for the teardown? Did you have any problems or is this just an excuse to get dirty and put in the new P&Cs?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't have a motor stand and live in a small 3 room apartment so if I borrowed one it would take up all of my little kitchen.

I'm doing this because the exhaust valve guides were shot and it was using a lot of oil and it had low compression in number 6. It would foul the #6 spark plug regularly. I thought I would find some broken piston rings but they were all intact and the pistons look real nice.
Some cylinders look good and some are questionable and have some weird wear marks I've never seen before. I'll take some pics and upload them soon.

I've had the new Mahle pistons and cylinders in a sealed box for around 6 or 7 years now. I got them for $1800 off Rennlist in 2006 or 7 and I have a set of rebuilt 930 heads with new guides in them that I ported out to 40mm to match the 40mm injector blocks I have. I ported them last spring before it got hot out here. I don't have a garage, just a driveway so I do everything outside when the weather is nice.

I've been putting this off for a while because it still ran good while smoking a bit at times but the weather is great down here in S. Florida right now and I have the time at the moment so I decided to get it done.
I'm enjoying it and with the car jacked way up in back on jackstands and the bumper and quarter extensions removed I just sit on the ground behind the car or lay down under it while working on it and it's not bothering my back or neck at all.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Looking good, no reason one can't do just that, "in car".
Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I don't have a motor stand and live in a small 3 room apartment so if I borrowed one it would take up all of my little kitchen.

I'm doing this because the exhaust valve guides were shot and it was using a lot of oil and it had low compression in number 6. It would foul the #6 spark plug regularly. I thought I would find some broken piston rings but they were all intact and the pistons look real nice.
Some cylinders look good and some are questionable and have some weird wear marks I've never seen before. I'll take some pics and upload them soon.

I've had the new Mahle pistons and cylinders in a sealed box for around 6 or 7 years now. I got them for $1800 off Rennlist in 2006 or 7 and I have a set of rebuilt 930 heads with new guides in them that I ported out to 40mm to match the 40mm injector blocks I have. I ported them last spring before it got hot out here. I don't have a garage, just a driveway so I do everything outside when the weather is nice.

I've been putting this off for a while because it still ran good while smoking a bit at times but the weather is great down here in S. Florida right now and I have the time at the moment so I decided to get it done.
I'm enjoying it and with the car jacked way up in back on jackstands and the bumper and quarter extensions removed I just sit on the ground behind the car or lay down under it while working on it and it's not bothering my back or neck at all.
I thought you bought the blue Ruf MRied had. I thought it was a 3.4l?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No it's not a Ruf 3.4, it's an '87 venetian blue 911 turbo with LSD, sport seats, 964 cams, B&B headers, and some other common upgrades I bought back in July 2006. It was in Charlotte, NC and the previous owner lived in Tennessee.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
All that in your driveway? You sure know how to make a guy feel guilty...I'm looking forward to your next report.

Best of luck,

Rahl
Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Fantastic work.

So how long before it gets too hot in the driveway, Two months?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: