Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
930T Owner

Garage
Great read! - I've followed your other thread without posting.

Glad you are enjoying your ownership so far. I've only had my car about 9 months now but so far I'm in love with mine. This is my 4th Porsche but my first air-cooled Porsche. I really enjoy the car. I wish I had taken the time to document some of my escapades so far. I did a complete interior restoration on my car shortly after I bought it because 1) I hated the two-tone champagne black interior and 2) my dash was warped and dry from age. It would have been neat to document since I pulled all the interior out, did new sound-deadening, carpet, panels, seats, roll bar, harnesses, etc. All really fun stuff for us 930 guys but a PITA for many others.

My second project was a 1st round of bolt-ons that replaced the headers, exhaust, intercooler, intake, turbo, wastegate, fuel pumps, etc. - I also deleted the secondary air injection crap from my car. The removal of all that along with the intercooler install greatly simplified my engine bay. I can quickly service the top side of the motor now. Some you may want to consider.

Anyhow, glad you are enjoying your car!

Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I read this with horror
I need to replace the oil feed line to turbo, so engine drop most likely (they have flex lines but wheres the fun in that?) and my I too have had a little scope creep!
fuel head toWUR hose, new rubber cap for oil send unit, triangle stuff, Brey Krause extinguisher holder! Why not another rubber clutch sleeve, transmission ground, reseal chain housing/retime and a leak down to go while im at it. also considering a whole slew of new vac hoses w oetiker like you. why not it's only March.

I read this with the horror of someone who's already lost control but hasn't yet hit the guardrail, [order not placed yet] but unable to avoid it. Thanks for the foresight
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks folks, I appreciate the kind words.

Mark -
Name wise, 16volt comes from when I owned my Scirocco 16V. A good friend of mine always called the car a Scirocco 16volt and the name just stuck. The name my parents chose for me however is Shannon. Through the years I often find myself in the situation you describe, knowing people only by their online persona's name.

Hopefully I will find a good reason to head across the pass this summer, we'll have to grab lunch or something.

Scott -
I can sympathize with the reluctance to finish that comes with having a car torn apart in the garage. Over the years I have learned to keep my projects focused and give myself realistic deadlines with plenty of cushion. I usually set some car event as the deadline i.e. having the car ready for a cruise etc. My best advice to overcome the "oh my god what have I done" feeling is break it into bit size mini steps, reassemble one component at a time. Once you start hitting those small goals consistently it get allot easier through momentum.

Paul -
I am well versed with CIS and its idle issues. When I went to a full standalone EFI system on the Scirocco however I learned just how good CIS is. Once you have to program a car how to idle from scratch using either timing/fuel of PID settings on a ISV valve you'll sorely miss CIS.

I miss the mixture control on CIS-E where I could just plug a multi-meter in and dial away. Oh well.

I am really pleased with the 930 community, truly. It's very similar to the VW folks. I have found that higher the price of entry is the worse the community tends be so its been a really great surprise.

Chris -
You should definitely grab a cheap digital camera and document what you do. I feel like its good positive re-enforcement and motivation to keep going. I always consider those folks who haven't done something before when I take pictures, maybe something I do will help someone down the line.

This spring I envision the interior coming out of my car as well. While I would love to do some cool custom touches I need to get it to my baseline of clean, sorted and functional.

reachme -
If I had the space and the gear I wouldnt mind doing a motor drop. Just make a punch list once its out and tackle each fix one at a time. Conversely, once you get the intake plumbing off doing the vacuum lines is very easy and cheap. It has the added bonus of getting you a better picture of the oil line routing so you can make an informed decision to if you want to try to tackle it with the motor in the car.

I am headed directly towards the guardrail as I left a message for gentleman selling some wheels I want. I casually brought it up with the finance department here at home last night, the initial reaction was not overwhelmingly positive. I see the distinct possibility of hiding wheel boxes in the garage under laundry in my future.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

JMHO you have to get a long neck intercooler Shannon. Cleans up the whole area. Great reading.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
JMHO you have to get a long neck intercooler Shannon. Cleans up the whole area. Great reading.
2nd this suggestion - Long neck + deletion of secondary air injection crap = really cleaned up things.

One could change plugs on my car in 30 minutes now.

Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned

I would love to get a long neck IC (currently have a short neck Garretson), but don't the good ones run $3-$4K and up?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I would love to get a long neck IC (currently have a short neck Garretson), but don't the good ones run $3-$4K and up?
No they aren't that bad. More like 2-3K.

I have my Fabspeed I am about to take off my car my friend. New they are like $2300 for the whole setup. If you're interested in it let's talk sometime.

Chris
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Ronnie i bought a used Kokeln on this site for $1,200 with the 965 downpipe. I have seen them come for sale at similar prices.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
No they aren't that bad. More like 2-3K.

I have my Fabspeed I am about to take off my car my friend. New they are like $2300 for the whole setup. If you're interested in it let's talk sometime.

Chris
Whoops, I was thinking about a full bay, long neck . . . at some point, that is what I want, and then will remove the tail a/c condenser, and add a couple more to the wheel wells (already have a Zims in the left rear).
Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Whoops, I was thinking about a full bay, long neck . . . at some point, that is what I want, and then will remove the tail a/c condenser, and add a couple more to the wheel wells (already have a Zims in the left rear).
PM me your cell number. I had a full bay long neck built custom that I will show you.

Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Shannon, pleased to meet you! If you ever get the urge to dry out in my neck of the woods, just give me a jingle and we'll meet up!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
16V,

I LOVE the musings of Ezra Dyer and your story was more creative, humorous and expressive than anything I’ve read from him. Keep bringing it! Ed
Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
you cheating hoar... you used to say those sweetest things about me 10000000yrs ago

SLUT!!!

I feel so betrayed...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

well.... great read Shannon.

I am just getting started diving into a resurrection/refresh of a 78 930.

as you mentioned, get too much going on and hard to see progress. I stumbled on this 930 not really wanting another project but just could not pass it up.

the consequence is I got distracted by the 930 and now my 951 DE track car build is behind schedule and track season rapidly approaching.

I am saving this link to refer back to once I get back to the 930.

I am finding this forum to have great participation.

if you do not already know of him, you need to contact Steve Weiner, Rennsport Systems. he is in Portland. great 911 / 930 knowledge resource.

good luck on your continued journey with your 930. I am looking forward to my first drive.

Bob
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

[QUOTE=krasuskyp;7946865]you cheating hoar... you used to say those sweetest things about me 10000000yrs agoQUOTE]

Take some spelling lessons from Ronnie....that's ho'auh, or just plain ho' for short. You could add extra flavor with expletives like "mo'fo'in, back-stabbin, ungreatful" to drive your point home. I think our non-writer Shannon is giving us a run for the money!

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I have completed the "Learning to Speak Paul for Dummies Pt1" book thus far. I look forward to the rest in the series.

I read his posts like it was a haiku written while on LSD.

Seriously though, thank you all for the kind words. I am happy you enjoy the articles (see how I classed it up there?).
Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Hi 16volt,

Are you also active in the E24 forum of bimmerforum.

tdh888
Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDH888 View Post
Hi 16volt,

Are you also active in the E24 forum of bimmerforum.

tdh888
Indeed, over there I use the SN- Big Six
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up Btw

Strange how we all start some small projects and it always gets bigger . I told the wife "It is only a head stud"... LOL... " just think of the resale value " ya right , I going to sell after all the hard work.

Kozmo
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
Indeed, over there I use the SN- Big Six
That's why when I saw a picture of your 635 ,I said to my self I've seen that car before.Also a member of the E24 forum over there I'm pgh880. Welcome to the 930 forum.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: