Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 - Pressure Testing

Hey guys,

So I just got my fresh 3.0 motor running last week. Lots of very sweet new goodies inside and outside (993 super sport cams, tial 1.0 wastegate, Garrett GT30R turbo, Rarlyl8 headers and tailpipe) . So I always wanted to pressure test my system so I made a pressure tester and hooked it up last night. I found a few interesting things.

1. My Aux Air Regulator was leaking like a sieve next to the electrical connector. Luckily I had a spare AAR that is pressure tight.

2. I hear a small amount of air leaking a little further back in the motor but so far cannot find it. Will investigate to see if it is where my C2 IC connects to the TB, or maybe the cold start valve.

It is losing about 1 pound every 2-3 seconds.

Questions:

1. Why is the AAR leaking? Can the seals/gaskets be replaced (drilling out the rivets)
2. I know this is a setup question, but what amount of leaking boost is "normal"? Can you expect to have a system that is close to 100% leak free? Or is it like a cylinder leak down where anything less than 3% is great?

I have all new rubber sleeves, nice T clamps (threaded type).

Thanks for your insight.

Henry
'76 930

Last edited by henrymfisher; 03-05-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

? for ya... Why not just deleate your AAR valve? You have a idle adjustment on the Throttle body.. I deleated mine when I had my old CIS system, and never missed it....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
That is on the table. My car also has the old style manual throttle adjustment next to the heater controls.

I kind of didn't want the wires to the AAR tied off, but it is a consideration.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
? for ya... Why not just deleate your AAR valve? You have a idle adjustment on the Throttle body.. I deleated mine when I had my old CIS system, and never missed it....
i took mine off for a few months, and even though it does not get that cold here, i did not like it and put it back on.

i am interested in your results. boost leaks can also = vacuum leaks, which i have been dealing with.
how did you seal it up? did you losen all the intake rockers to close all the valves?
if not, sounds like you are doing a leakdown test on the entire engine at one time.
if so, you may be hearing air leaking past the rings and coming out of the engine case vent at the rear.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a step by step post that I read on how to pressure test the turbo system.
Obviously air will escape past open valves. What is clear and audibly easy to hear are leaks coming from places where the turbo system flows externally. IC to TB, Up piping from turbo to IC, IC through the Aux Air Reg, and intake manifold leaks. They suggest spraying soapy water to see where the bubbles originate. I had no idea that a AAR could really leak air. I thought the hose connections would be suspicious but never the electrical connector (air was whistling by it). I watched the pressure gauge go from 12-13 psi to 0 very quickly.

HOW TO BOOST LEAK TEST 101 by turboboostleaktesters.com

Here is a picture of the device I made. Super easy. I connected it to the steel inlet pipe after the C2 pop off rubber elbow. Much easier than disconnecting the rubber sleeve on the inlet side of the turbo.

Last edited by henrymfisher; 03-06-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I use a smoker. low psi with visual shows every little leak.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I am interested in your results too. Please post power imrovements when you get them.

Thanks,

Rahl
Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: