Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Short Bell housing versus Long Bell housing

I am wanting to know the difference in length of the input shaft on the 930 Short Bell housing versus the long Bell housing 4-speed transmission? If you have measured the input shaft length from its tip to where it enters into the transmission housing and the length of the splined shaft section, please let me know the measurements.

I have a short bell housing 930 4-speed waiting for a project in which I am planning to put a high horsepower/torque engine. I was thinking that I might need a double disk clutch to hold the power and was wondering if the longer bell housing version would allow the double disk clutch that the short bell housing transmission I have will probably not allow.

The chassis is a 1984 911 cabriolet.

The other option would be to go with a G-50 transmission, but I'm not sure if this would require some chassis rework to fit the front of the transmission tunnel or not. I don't mind making the modification if it will give me the clutch holding power that I need to hold a massive amount of torque at the clutch. Will the G-50 fit? And what modifications will it require if I select this option?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I do have a long bell housing 930 trans. I will post those measurements shortly
Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+28mm is the difference
Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasios View Post
+28mm is the difference
I understand from your post that the overall length of the input shaft is 28mm longer on the long bell housing input shaft than it is on the short bell housing input shaft.

Does the splined section of the shaft have a longer length of splines on the long bell housing version as well? If yes, how long is this splined section of the input shaft on the long bell housing version of the 930 turbo transmission?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think the splined area is longer at the long bellhousing.
In the G50 is longer as it needs to machine down the splined area when you shorten the bellhousing - mainshaft.

G50 is better from all the aspects and you dont need an mega expensive G50 Turbo unit if you dont plan on a torque monster engine...

Good luck,
Tasos
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Contact KEP. They will provide you with pressure plate & clutch to hold your power.
Fit right on your short bellhousing 930 transmission
1986 944 Turbo
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does anyone know of a dual disk clutch option for use with the 930 turbo gear box or with the G50 gear box? I would feel much more comfortable using a dual disk clutch setup for my street hot rod. It would have better holding power with a lower peddle effort requirement so that I don't feel like I am in the gym on a workout machine while street driving.

I did contact KEP a while back and they told me that their stage 2 clutch setup (single disk) was only rated for about 500HP/torque and the peddle effort was much higher than stock. I determined that this was too low of a rating for me to consider for my application unless I was willing to replace the clutch disk more frequently. Not a good option.

KEP said that they have a race application stage 3 clutch setup which was rated to about 600HP/torque, but it was not recommended for street use due to the materials used in the clutch face, and it had way more peddle effort than I would be comfortable with while street driving.

I am building a street hot rod that will have about 700HP/torque that needs to be left leg friendly for street use. I'm not a young kid anymore and my left leg won't last long with high peddle effort.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have 700hp too... And dual clutches to hold it. Too bad it's across two cars. Hahahaha
Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
930 short bell housing