Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electric scavenge pump

I am still getting some smoke from the exhaust on my recent turbo conversion. I added a 930 J pipe and a 3ldz to my 1985 3.2 Carrara. I am using gravity return on the oil from a 12AN fitting to the engine sump. I used a restricted fitting on the feed side. I had initially bolted up the Used 3ldz as it was when I received it. Very little shaft play and the exhaust side looked reasonably clean. It made good power but also a decent amount of smoke and even specks of wet oil on the under side of the Tea tray spoiler. I had a local shop go through the turbo and put a kit in it. The smoke is much improved but still annoying. A wisp every now and then at idle. A puff that is hard to notice in the rear view at take off. And as reported by a friend following light blue when I really get on it but I can't see it in the mirror.

To the point, I don't have a drive for the factory scavenge pump at this point so I am going to try an electric pump as a test. Can I use my existing 12AN line to the pump and expect good results or do I need to come up with a catch can type drain and then to the pump? Can I Run a vane type fuel pump for this test ( like a Holley Blue pump) or do I need the real deal or a tranny cooling pump?
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fuel pumps do not hold up to the heat.

Scavenge Pumps

This problem is what these pumps are made for.
Smaller, lighter, quieter, less power draw than a Tilton trans/differential pump.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I gravity feed to the sump too. It doesn't work well, but it works.

Really need to scavenge too. If you search, you can find oil scavenging pumps 12V for about $150 IIRC.

Just google around.

They're not as pretty as Chris' link above, but they should work.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

FWIW, I've been running the turbo oil drain back to sump for years now, track sessions included, all without issues or smoke. Running a K2700 and use -10AN steel braided hose and 90 degree swivels on outlet/inlet side. Hose has about 15 degrees of decline from turbo drain outlet down to sump.

You might check/experiment with the hose orientation before making the scavenge switch...

- Best regards
- SOLD! '85 928S 5sp with LSD
Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: