Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil spewing from "Beer Can" vent

After waiting patiently all winter to finally take my 930 for a spin with my new IC and used Kokeln Turbo I've ran into a new problem, and probably one that I've caused.

Two weeks ago I started her up for the first time after going from my 3ldz to the Kokeln Turbo. I ran it up and down the street with no problems. Today I finally got to try her out on the highway and get her up to temperature and she worked great. I got home and parked her to find oil pouring out of the atmospheric vent on the beer can after I shut it off. I cleaned it up and moved it into the garage and left an oil piss trail there too. I know I have to have a restrictor for this turbo, and I made one out of sheet metal the proper size as I couldn't get the actual fitting to work, the hole is the same diameter as the restrictor fitting I have. Am I over oiling or is something else causing this? I had no problems before with my 3ldz.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
I got home and parked her to find oil pouring out of the atmospheric vent on the beer can after I shut it off.
Don't understand the beer can statement. Is oil coming up from your turbo oil drip tank vent and spilling inside the engine compartment and on the downpipe?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have a rarlyl8 oil drip tank - beer can, it has a brass atmospheric vent on the top. The oil is coming from the brass atmospheric vent as if it is being flooded.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
that's odd, my B&B oil catch can does not have any vent, just the inlet from the base of the turbo and an outlet to an oil line back to the scavenge pump.

Is the scavenge pump working correctly?

Henry
'76 930
Old 03-12-2014, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
As far as I know, I'm going to take it off and put it into a cup of oil and see if it "sucks". Will be an over night project, hopefully I've just drilled the wrong size in my home made restrictor.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

restrictor

What size hole did you drill? Where did you get the info? The effective opening in the restrictor for my Garrett is less than 1/16" if I remember correctly. Not saying your Koklen should be the same though. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. SDS EFI tuning always in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObrHaus View Post
I have a rarlyl8 oil drip tank - beer can, it has a brass atmospheric vent on the top. The oil is coming from the brass atmospheric vent as if it is being flooded.
Got it, I have the same tank with the vent. How long is the hose you have connected to the vent? Mine is at least 16 inches and is dry.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The old one was 1/8th so that'd what I drilled in mine, close to it anyway.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey it's Paul. I didn't have that turbo on for very long but I never had any oil issues.
I have the B&B catch can and my oil is vented via the factory hose with a small filter plugged into the open end. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I think I just messed up the steel restrictor I made Paul, no worries!!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We put a vent in our tanks for just this reason; you will know there is a problem before it becomes an expensive problem. You can vent the tank with the brass mesh or connect to the OEM tubing, or plug it.
The Kokeln does have different oiling requirements than OEM as you have stated. That's where I'd start looking as well.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Brian, any idea what size I should drill the restrictor to be for the Kokeln, is it a non ball bearing unit.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Kokeln turbos came with an oiling kit; I don't have one handy to take a look. There were a couple different versions. I believe they are still in business so the info may be available from the source.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I was in contact with Vision Motorsports today, my restrictor is pretty close to the right size. I read in another thread about the oil problem only happening at low rpm when the oil is hot. That is exactly what is happening to me. My scavenge pump is sucking enough when its cold, but as the 15-50 oil gets hot its not getting sucked up as fast at idle. They suggested a Clewitt scavenge pump. I ordered a scavenge pump seal earlier today, but if this is only happening at low rpm I don't know if this will remedy the problem, and I was unaware of the hot oil being the problem earlier.

Just a wacky idea, could I put a ball check valve in place of the brass vent? and then route the hose back into the top of the oil tank.... if its idling it will just go up the hose and back into the oil tank, if I shut the engine off the valve will stop the oil from wanting to run back down the hose and filling up my turbo and blowing out smoke etc.

Or should I just order the Clewitt... I'm just afraid its going to have the same result at low rpm...
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The large pump will solve any oil backup problem, it'll draw enough for 2x full-flow Garrett journal bearing turbos, no restrictors.

I think Power Tech in NJ (973-586-3210) is still making the pumps.

When people didn't want to run the larger oil pump, it was common to have to run a 0.060" restrictor at the oil inlet.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What a pain... is it worth it
Old 03-13-2014, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: