Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Connecting rods balanced

It was raining earlier today so cleaning more parts and other stuff outdoors wasn't happening so I balanced my rods down to 1/10 of a gram indoors in my kitchen. 2 or 3 weeks ago I balanced the piston and wristpin assemblies down to 1/10 of a gram so now these parts are ready to go back in.

It's supposed to be nice out tomorrow so it should be a good day to install the rods and maybe the pistons and cylinders too.
The motor is in the car with the back way up on jackstands and the back of the motor lowered down about a foot on to a jackstand.

I still have to port match the intake manifold holes from 32mm to 40mm. Once I do that and finish cleaning all the old hardened sealant off the cam towers there are some small parts to paint black and then it's time to put this thing back together.

I have a used KEP stage one pressure plate I got around 6 years ago I may install too. Now is the time to do it but I havn't decided yet because the Sachs clutch in it now works really well.
You can see where I carefully removed material from the rods to balance them in these pics.
I put in new rod bearings after cleaning them with brake clean and compressed air.. now they're ready to go back in.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice work. I'm curious though, did you balance big and small end or just overall weight? Should spin smooth as a baby's bottom!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

what are you using for your scale?

what level is the crank being balanced to?

did you also balance the front pulley and the clutch/flywheel? Pays big dividends as well in terms of overall smoothness and efficiency
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Nice work. I'm curious though, did you balance big and small end or just overall weight? Should spin smooth as a baby's bottom!
Thanks! I tried setting up a funky end for end balancing rig but I couldn't get any consistancy with how I was trying to do it so I ditched that set up and just balanced them overall to the exact same weight on my triple beam scale.
They were all within 2 grams of each other to start with so I didn't remove a lot. Most of what I removed was from the squared off edges where the rod and cap come together. You can see that area is shiny and rounded off now. I used a 6" DA made for doing body work. I locked down the 6" pad so it spun like a grinder and I used sticky back 320 grit sandpaper spinning around 15,000 rpm to do this.
In the past I've done entire rods in my old BMW's and polished them to a mirror finish and spent many hours doing it but I didn't want to do all that to these. I guess I did them in around 4 hours.
A week ago I had the best automotive machine shop in town resize the big ends, they were out of round and they installed my new wrist pin bushings and honed them to fit my new wristpins for the right oil clearance.

Here's my funky end for end rig on top of my refrigerator I tried first that didn't work. Too much friction and inconsistant. Maybe hanging one end of the rod from string would work but I decided to just weigh them overall and that would be good enough for my street car.

This is how I positioned them on the scale to weigh them overall. Kevin Jeanette gave me the picture on the wall in the background back when I worked for him at Gunnar Porsche in the mid eightee's

Here's the new pistons and wrist pin assemblies that all weigh the same now after i removed material from the ends of the wristpins. I didn't do anything to the new pistons. The new cylinders are in the box.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennSport911rsa View Post
what are you using for your scale?

what level is the crank being balanced to?

did you also balance the front pulley and the clutch/flywheel? Pays big dividends as well in terms of overall smoothness and efficiency
The scale is an old Ohaus triple beam I've had for around 25 years. I just had to turn off the ceiling fan to have it work consistant and accurate
The motor, crank, and all the other stuff you mentioned are still in the car so they are what they are. I'm on a budget and have more time than money so this is how I'm doing it.
I bought all the parts 6 or 7 years ago when I had more $ and I found them for sale on the classifieds here for really good prices.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jim, when can I take you to lunch? I wanna hear some Gunnar stories! And run some ideas past you.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I wished I would have just paid $100 to balance my low end.

I see you tried moment weight, but it didn't work out?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Jim, when can I take you to lunch? I wanna hear some Gunnar stories! And run some ideas past you.
That sounds like fun, anytime I guess. I'm in West Palm. I was working in the body shop most of the time and running errands and stuff when I was at Gunnar in the mid eightee's.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Triple beam madness

Ya Jim I've been down the triple beam road. It took awhile. Very accurate once set up. I rigged up a definitive point or fulcrum that the big end rested on on the scale platform and a stationary pivot on the small end and got very consistant repeatability. With patience the triple beam is very precise. 1/10 of gram is way way more than many race shops balance to. Myself, I wouldn't balance unless I could accomplish rotating as well as static weight. Digital scale is the way but the ol triple beam was around. Let's see now, what was it that I used to use that triple beam for anyway............?

Gary
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I can vouch for the repeatability of doing moment-weight; it ain't happening.

You need to hold both ends on concentric fixtures from what I've seen online. Placing one end on the scale platen and the other end on a spindle just doesn't seem to work.

Bummer.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Ya Jim I've been down the triple beam road. It took awhile. Very accurate once set up. I rigged up a definitive point or fulcrum that the big end rested on on the scale platform and a stationary pivot on the small end and got very consistant repeatability. With patience the triple beam is very precise. 1/10 of gram is way way more than many race shops balance to. Myself, I wouldn't balance unless I could accomplish rotating as well as static weight. Digital scale is the way but the ol triple beam was around. Let's see now, what was it that I used to use that triple beam for anyway............?

Gary
yeah make sure all the powder residue is off first
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm I love that DIY spirit!!! Nice work

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: