Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Should I rebuilt my k27-7200 or...

Hi guys
My turbo has a lot of play in the shaft Should I rebuilt my k27-7200 ?
If so any updates to it while rebuilding?
Thanks
Erick
Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Depends on what kind of power you are after. We have them modded to K27/29 hybrids for a nice kick.
If you decide to go with another brand we are always interested in good cores.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertech View Post
Hi guys
My turbo has a lot of play in the shaft Should I rebuilt my k27-7200 ?
If so any updates to it while rebuilding?
Thanks
Erick
Are you asking if you should rebuild it yourself? If so, then no, as you won't be able to properly, dynamically balance the assembly at home.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
^this message brought to you by The Department of Redundancy and Duplication Department^

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

^^^^ Wa' youse talking about, Cleetus?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

We can help you with that rebuild. Copy & paste below from typical remanufacture job:
* clean all components to as-new
* remove any fasteners from turbine housing, clean threads
* bore & hone bearing housing to mirror finish
* install new genuine 3K-Warner bearings & seals
* check & straighten shaft (measured 3 places), polish, turn if necessary; dress turbine wheel
* dress compressor wheel, replace as needed
* assemble CHRA, balance

Optional upgrades:
* twin seals
* lighten compressor wheel
* clip & lighten turbine wheel
* larger turbine wheel

We also just ordered in a number of billet compressor wheels for testing. We've seen the billet wheels for the K-series turbos advertised for a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're actually any better. We'll see if the billet K27 and K29 replacement wheels are worth it in a 930 application, or just hype.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rocket Scientist

How much play, and in what direction (axial,radial,both)? This turbo has floating journal bearings. Radially, they feel like they have a lot of play. Axial play is smaller, but there is supposed to be some. Measure it with a dial indicator. It might be OK. Was it making a noise or something?

Billet compressor wheels are for running high pressure ratios (>2 bar).
Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
How much play, and in what direction (axial,radial,both)? This turbo has floating journal bearings. Radially, they feel like they have a lot of play. Axial play is smaller, but there is supposed to be some. Measure it with a dial indicator. It might be OK. Was it making a noise or something?

Here's some info that I gathered up some years ago, on the topic of axial and radial play. Might be of some general use in determining the condition of the journals and thrust bearing. Just information....I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

On new turbos the end play seems to be well under .005” and often hard to detect with your hands. If it’s exceeding .005” the ring seals will take a beating and are more likely to pass oil.

Generally all these small auto turbos seem to have similar tolerances when new. Roughly .010 to .015” measured radially at the nut or at the extension of the turbine.

When the radial play is around .025” but more importantly if a feeler gauge measurement between the wheels and the housings gets down to .005” it’s time to have the unit overhauled prior to having the wheels rub which will ruin the balance and potentially damage the wheels.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
Agreed.
But they sometimes deliver more airflow at pressures as low as 1.0bar.
Ex: GT35R approx. 62lb/min vs. GTX35R approx. 68lb/min, PR = 2.0
And sometimes they are lighter weight and can contribute to a little quicker spool up.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: