Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Hey......did you paint the oil tank? Porsche most definitely doe not do that!

Apparently Only the cars built in 1977 with build number ending with 44 had painted oil tanks
Its a rare porsche mod aniversary thing ;
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Can you also tell me which pipe on the Turbo oil feeder is the scavenge line?

This is not looking to be a happy job

It's the line connecting to 'X'. When you run the test, make sure the line that you're using to connect to the fitting 'X' connects to is air-tight. Otherwise, the sump pump will pull air instead of oil.

Good luck.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Nice paint job! How long since done?

Quote:
You mean the big fat oil line from the MAIN Engine oil Tank? disconnect that one ?
And If so do i disconnect A or B ?

What causes them to fail if thats the case here? aren't they mechanical? can they be fixed at home?

Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Banned

Robby, the scavenge pump is mechanical, and it is driven off of the left camshaft via a small pin mounted through the tip of the pump's drive-gear axle. If the pin breaks, or gets severely worn, the pump will not work right or at all.

Like others have mentioned, you need to first test the scavenge pump's pumping capacity. If it is insufficient, you need to see if you have an air leak in the oil line leading from the turbo drip tank to the scavenge pump (an air leak allows the thing to suck air, and pump very little oil, and a tiny hole will not leak much oil even though it will allow enough air into the line to cause a problem when the car is running). If no leaks are found, you will need to remove and dismantle the scavenge pump and repair as needed).

If the flow test checks out OK, then exhaust gasses are getting past the turbo's axle seals and pumping air and oil out of the drip tank breather. This could have potentially been caused by damage to the turbine impeller and/or axle - by maybe a broken piece of air injector getting drawn into it (or hardened JB Weld).

Page 63 has an exploded-view drawing of the scavenge pump, and all of its parts and related hoses (the pump itself is item #31). See dude, I remembered you saying that you liked books with pics!!!!

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/911_USA_87_89_KATALOG.pdf

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-29-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Robby, the scavenge pump is mechanical, and it is driven off of the left camshaft via a small pin mounted through the tip of the pump's drive-gear axle. If the pin breaks, or gets severely worn, the pump will not work right or at all.

Like others have mentioned, you need to first test the scavenge pump's pumping capacity. If it is insufficient, you need to see if you have an air leak in the oil line leading from the turbo drip tank to the scavenge pump (an air leak allows the thing to suck air, and pump very little oil, and a tiny hole will not leak much oil even though it will allow enough air into the line to cause a problem when the car is running). If no leaks are found, you will need to remove and dismantle the scavenge pump and repair as needed).

If the flow test checks out OK, then exhaust gasses are getting past the turbo's axle seals and pumping air and oil out of the drip tank breather. This could have potentially been caused by damage to the turbine impeller and/or axle - by maybe a broken piece of air injector getting drawn into it (or hardened JB Weld).

Page 63 has an exploded-view drawing of the scavenge pump, and all of its parts and related hoses (the pump itself is item #31). See dude, I remembered you saying that you liked books with pics!!!!

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/911_USA_87_89_KATALOG.pdf

Hi thanks,
Guess what when i reassembled the motor i realised i left off the charge line from the wastegate to the IC could this cause the oil symptom?

I also checked the Turbo and the impeller etc is all good, no play fore or aft
Old 06-06-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Hi thanks,
Guess what when i reassembled the motor i realised i left off the charge line from the wastegate to the IC could this cause the oil symptom?
I also checked the Turbo and the impeller etc is all good, no play fore or aft
Hey Rob, no to that causing the oil problem - leaving that line off means that the wastgate would not open and relieve boost pressure, so you would boost until the over boost switch/circuit kicked in (if you have that in place and working) or until you roasted a piston or three.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
FOUND THE PROBLEM

Scavenge Pump NUT was LOOSE, finger tight it was Oil running out, so i guess as all the oil wasnt running through it on the suction it was diverting instead up the breather hose and everywhere else, anyway ive tightened it and almost back to being on the roaD THANKS,

This was one of those jobs where i should have left alone as there wasnt anything wrong until i put the plugs in, now ive also got a broken exhaust stud at the haed of the bolt,

suppose i cant complain, out of 12 bolts only one snapped and it was only the top 5mm

NOTE to self
dont change things on car when nothing wrong, especially if those things are out of sight, and more especially if its under the car where its hard to get to

Wasted exercise
Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: