Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
930T Owner

Garage
Tires look great man!

Wheels look awesome - I really like them on my car too. For the price - they are a great option.

Looking forward to more pictures.

Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-29-2014, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks.

I was going to hang them today but got roped into a golf match with my arch enemy. We compete like we’re brothers, even car stuff takes a back seat… I will get these bad Larry’s bolted up tomorrow and post pics. Fingers X’d.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
The weather in the Boston area today was good enough to get the car out of hibernation. First order of the day was to install a new trunk cable. After about an hour of contortion it was finally in. Tested the mechanism like 20 times before closing the hood - then finally bite the bullet and closed the lid….. Fingers crossed I pulled the T handle (which is pretty hard to do with your fingers crossed) and “click” the lip popped right up. Phew!

Before I mounted the Fikses, I took her out for a quick ride with 2 of my kids in the back seat. First impressions:

- Lots of people outside today and this car turns heads from 10 year olds to 90 year olds. Lots of pointing and smiling. This car seems to make people happy.

- I got on the boost for the first time and it’s a bit of a waiting game, but it hits HARD. I think it’s the fastest car I’ve owned. The whoosh of the turbo with the top down is amazing. My son’s smile was ear to ear, my daughter’s horror was just what I was hoping for (she’s 14 and “in control” - meaning she a bit of a PITA at the moment… Anyone in the same predicament knows what I’m saying!).

- I loved the sound, the smell, the brakes, the steering

- I didn’t love the idle which slowly crept up to 1,400 as the car warmed.

- I didn’t love the ~4k RPM boost stutter. I didn’t push it past that RPM but it was almost like a soft rev limiter when a modern car exceeds max RPM. Will need to look into that after the car gets a through the shop for basic maintenance.

Emboldened with the success, I set out to mount up the Fikses. Fronts were easy after getting the tires on some 2x4s so I could get the jack under. Lowered the car back down and rolled it around so the suspension would settle. Wow, these things just barely fit in the wheels wells. Can’t even get a finger between the rubber and fenders on either side. I can’t imagine fitting 265s in there. Thankfully, compared to the old rims, these are super flush with the fender. I like!

Then I go to the back of the car and I realize, there isn’t an apparent spot for a floor jack. Come inside and read that people jack on the engine case. That was scary, though reportedly safe. Take the rear tire off and there is a H&R super spacer that bolts to the hub. Take that off and leave the original spacer on. Mount up the new wheel, drop is down. Roll in the driveway again and voila:

Then I drove the car in the driveway to test for rubbing - none that I could tell full lock right or left. It sure is tight, but nothing I could see or feel. I know I need to take it out on the road for testing with suspension articulation, but encouraging so far.

In peoples experience, any chance I’m good to go if it doesn’t rub lock to lock while rolling vs. on the road? Any tips for checking clearances? Just want to have a good guess before I bend a fender….

Thanks, Ed
Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
non-whiner

Nothing some bigger torsion and sway bars won't cure. I think it looks awesome...um...I mean dope!

I think the rims would look even badder assed if they were powder coated black, but I'm just gangsta like that.
Beck 904/6 3.2ss screamer
1976 Land Rover series III 109 wagon (Montoya)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
non-whiner

Soon you can upgrade to these:

Beck 904/6 3.2ss screamer
1976 Land Rover series III 109 wagon (Montoya)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Soon you can upgrade to these:
mreid, those meats would never fly with these "fly guys" - waaaaaaaaaay too much period appropriate sidewall!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
looks great Edweirdo

now go buy the other 2 - I'm trying to envision how you drove around like that

shame tho them uberrad 888's are destined to a deathsentence of Show 'n Display and 35mph'ing around

I'll admit your getting those on did motivate me to turn the corner on mine - got my fronts mounted up last night after having to finish the Smart ducts / block-off plates / Porterfield R4S install / Super Blue bleed - feckyeah.

>4k misfire typically means ignition as it falters when boost hits - start by scraping cap/rotor and go from there.

Looking forward to your call, you know... the next time you need something. Maybe make it another 10yrs, jah?

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundeep_32 View Post
I didn’t love the ~4k RPM boost stutter. I didn’t push it past that RPM but it was almost like a soft rev limiter when a modern car exceeds max RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
>4k misfire typically means ignition as it falters when boost hits - start by scraping cap/rotor and go from there.
Could be, but more than likely it is going overly rich at that point and that is what is causing the misfire.

Ed, since you have said that your car has over 500hp, I assume that it has a onboard air-to-fuel meter . . . if so, what AFR is showing when it misses (probably in the mid to lower nines). I also have to assume that the K-Jetronic fuel system has been replaced with some form of EFI - do you know what type is in there?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: