Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
The Right the Wrong and the Ugly

Anyway, since my amateur rebuild everything was ok until yesterday i lost all my boost power no more boosting to the moon !! so for the fourth time i took off the top of engine this month and my (Boost Sender unit) (the large round orange/brown plug) on the BOV assembly was almost about to fall out of the socket it was so loose, so i was lucky in finding this vacuum leak quickly, some Loctite (Loctite is stuff you buy that stops bits from falling off) and im glad that part isnt also up the road somewhere with the little air filter that i lost today..(another story)

I want to ask as theres so much information here and a previous great sticky on why my car wont start..

The Right

A BASIC checklist ordered from the easiest to the hardest fix to diagnose performance issues?
Maybe a sticky?
And to aim it primarily for the home mechanic , you know for those of us who thinks that an afr means A Fluffy Rabbit, for those who do not own special tools outside spark plug deinstallers, and for dumbazzes like me who finds a bolt that looks loose tightens it up only to have the front left of the car sitting a lot higher than it should be! My wife couldnt stop laughing when she noticed it before i did , embarrassing

I think it would be great im sure theres many people who read these forums and think thats it too hard to carry out any work outside putting air in the tires and miss out on the gratifying experience they could get

Could have topics answers like this
Performance is down so what to check....

1 Check parts are tightened on securely!

Having said that brings into (Torque adjusting) For those without a torque wrench and for those who cant read if one was to tighten down a nut say a Phenol? block on the main engine, how much do you tighten if you dont have a torque wrench, can you do it by feel? Guesstimate does this work most of the time or is it a dangerous practice?

Many of these things arent known i sure dont know them and so far ive had more then a couple of parts fall off my car with worst being my muffler.

What about wheel nuts?
do they need to be jumped on to get them as tight as possible or not?

If you find a part thats hanging and it looks like it goes somewhere it probably does!

Some Parts that are loose allow AIR to escape and this will affect idle speed and performance.

You dont need to take your car to a mechanic if you find a loose hose you can post a photo here and guys and girl will help and you WILL save money if that matters to you .

You will as a rule get an excellent diagnostic by posting here your problems as your getting the combined experience of Thousands of years give or take. no pun intended im old too

The Wrong

And don't be embarrassed to post your Dumazz questions because they really aren't they are just questions and for many no one knows you personally

If i can Upgrade my 3.0 to a 3.3 and also do wiring that many wouldnt try
Then anyone can do it !!!

The Ugly

However im not quite ready to post pics of my engine build yet, well maybe on my art site i would but not here lol.

This is my wiring build modification, and as you see its sort of working, Ive never done wiring before so im pretty proud if it (IT DOES WORK) !! , except for dam tach !! grrr

Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is no substitute for a quality torque wrench. They aren't that expensive. Especially compared to the price of having to timesert a blind hole in a cylinder head cause it was over tightened and pulled the threads. Wayne's book has every torque value needed for touching an engine plus the generic M6, M8, M10 sizes.
There's my shot at answering one of the questions.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Needs more zip ties.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
See here are two approaches, both of which will work

But.. a torque wrench is about $40 which is about $35 more than what i have, so im afraid i wont be doing any timecerts in the near future

So that limits the extent of work that can be carried out at home if you dont have the correct tools,
But many jobs can be done without them i guess a lot of trial and error, Mr Fairman is another one ive heard when tightening things he may use a short handled wrench and that is used as a guide, i like that idea thats how i did my Phenom Blocks, i tightened them as much as i could with the leverage i had in hand.. i wonder how close they are to spec
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you have ever had to grind off an overtightened seized wheel nut, you will soon have, at the very least, a clicker torque wrench in your tool box.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You really should get a torque wrench. The ones with a thick bar that bends while a thinner bar stays straight and points at the torque value on a plate next to the handle are very accurate as long as you go slow and can see the plate from the position you're in while using it and they are relatively cheap. Probably around $20 or so.

Ebay may be the lowest price place for one or try your local Sears store. Used ones are a low price option.
You can develop some feel for different size bolts to an extent with experience but then that feel changes with how much coffee you've had or if you get pissed off while doing the work or if you're in a hurry.

Please get a torque wrench, you'll be glad you did.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
But.. a torque wrench is about $40 which is about $35 more than what i have, so im afraid i wont be doing any timecerts in the near future
Hmmmmmm, my latest torque wrench was over $450.00 when purchased about 3 years ago - those 40 dollar ones you speak of are for chumps!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here's a couple accurate and inexpensive beam type torque wrenches I found with a quick search.
A 3/8 drive one at Sears for less than 20 bucks: Sears.com

And this 1/2" and 3/8" drive one with free shipping: Neiko Classic Needle-Style Torque Wrench - Dual 3/8-Inch & 1/2-Inch Drive, 0-150 ft-lb, SAE & Metric - Rakuten.com Shopping

Only a snob would call you a chump for using one of these and I know some old school mechanics that prefer these to the clicker type ones because they don't need to be recalibrated periodically to remain accurate and instead of listening and feeling for the click to know when to stop tightening the fastener you see the torque read out on the pointer.
When using a beam type torque wrench you hold the pivoting handle so neither end of the handle touches the beam to keep the distance from where you're pulling on it from the pivot point in the middle of the handle to the socket drive constant.
They are very easy to use.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Should I, (or dare I) bring up the pre use inspection of a torque wrench... and the need to cycle it 4 to 6 times at its lowest setting to lubricate the internals, so an accuratereading can be given??

To the OP.... To be honest, I am kinda suprised your vehicle runs at all! Wires with blade terminal ends stuck into a plug? Bungee cord holding stuff from falling off? Wire ties that are not trimmed? I mean, I can understand seeing this on a beetle (that only has like 4 wires) but come on?!?!?!?!?

How can you even make and edjucated guess as to what is wrong after looking at the mess you have there?
Don't get me wrong, this is NOT an issue about not having the money... its about doing things the RIGHT way.
I am in NO way trying or wanting to put you down. But, please take some time to learn to do things the right way. It will only take a few extra minutes.... these are not Farmall tractors...
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Only a snob would call you a chump for using one of these . . .
Or maybe someone with a sense of humor?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post

To the OP.... To be honest, I am kinda suprised your vehicle runs at all! Wires with blade terminal ends stuck into a plug? Bungee cord holding stuff from falling off? Wire ties that are not trimmed? I mean, I can understand seeing this on a beetle (that only has like 4 wires) but come on?!?!?!?!?

How can you even make and edjucated guess as to what is wrong after looking at the mess you have there?
Don't get me wrong, this is NOT an issue about not having the money... its about doing things the RIGHT way.
I am in NO way trying or wanting to put you down. But, please take some time to learn to do things the right way. It will only take a few extra minutes.... these are not Farmall tractors...
I certainly agree with turbobrat930 on the wiring or is it safe to assume that your wiring was only for testing? If not there is a fire waiting to happen..hopefully there are plans to clean it up..other than that good progress on you project.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Robby, get yourself down to SuperCheap Auto or Repco and buy a torque wrench. If you cant afford one, park the 930 until you can. these cars arent like old Holdens. They need TLC or you will be up for much more than the cost of a torque wrench.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I've gone native

You really need a torque wrench to properly work on any car, let alone a porsche.
That wiring, while functional really isn't safe.
GL
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Yes i admit the wiring is temporary until i get the tacho working,

OK Ive gone out and bought a soldering iron and a TORQUE WRENCH it came with a certificate and inspection slip so it is ready to go, cost me $85 not too bad, just means the dogs are eating salad for a while

I also got a few alligator clips to test the connections quicker until i find the right wire,

See Pic above can someone tell me if i have the ignition earthed is it safe to test the other sockets on the 8 pin plug with the white wire from the tach adapter,?
Im worried i might short something out, but i need to find out how to get it going, ive already attached it to the black purple wire in there but no luck, you can see the white wire in it now, but nothing

Before someone says to search the links here ive done that and ive gone exactly by the wiring diagram , nothing,, so i need to check them somehow individually..
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000RR View Post
If you have ever had to grind off an overtightened seized wheel nut, you will soon have, at the very least, a clicker torque wrench in your tool box.
So a (Clicker) Torque Wrench make nuts easier to get off if tight

Good to know,

I have an air compressor that has attachments including the apparatus (shaped like a pistol) to remove wheels,
Got to watch them as they spin very quickly so a good idea is to not wear loose clothing when using them, (especially your best long sleeved dinner shirt)

Ive used the compressor to do lots of things from spray painting luggage area and under car to just having the Air Ratchet nearby with a 13mm socket in it when working on engine makes work quick and much easier,

Speaking of wheel nuts i added spacers to my axles when i got my Fusch copies and the offset was quite different but i had already grinded my wheel nuts down from the wheels i had on before to make it tidier, trouble is ive only got about half a bite on each nut as the bolts are now too short, I remember for about two weeks i drove with white knuckles, now i just check them every once in a while

Wow looking at that photo i think its time to check them the ones on the bottom look dodgy

Old 03-22-2014, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

^^^ Robby, are you trying to win a 2014 Darwin Award?!?!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Well Ronnie Its like if you dont look at the problem then there Isn't one
or if a tree falls in the forest with no one around does it make a sound?

So having said that...

If i feel any alignment out or a wobble ..or a sudden tip , slide, screeching halt while watching one or more of the wheels overtake me then i guess trees do make a sound????
Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
So a (Clicker) Torque Wrench make nuts easier to get off if tight

Good to know,

I have an air compressor that has attachments including the apparatus (shaped like a pistol) to remove wheels,
Got to watch them as they spin very quickly so a good idea is to not wear loose clothing when using them, (especially your best long sleeved dinner shirt)

Ive used the compressor to do lots of things from spray painting luggage area and under car to just having the Air Ratchet nearby with a 13mm socket in it when working on engine makes work quick and much easier,

Speaking of wheel nuts i added spacers to my axles when i got my Fusch copies and the offset was quite different but i had already grinded my wheel nuts down from the wheels i had on before to make it tidier, trouble is ive only got about half a bite on each nut as the bolts are now too short, I remember for about two weeks i drove with white knuckles, now i just check them every once in a while

Wow looking at that photo i think its time to check them the ones on the bottom look dodgy

Torque wrench is for tightening only...do not use it to remove your nuts(that's what the wife is for..)...use a breaker bar for removal.

also spend the money on the right nut and stud combo, for the look you want. Grinding down your nuts for a look(unless your trying to fit in tight speedos..lol) can never be a good thing. The nut is losing some of it's strength due to the heat created by the grinding plus the loss of metal.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Not sure how many turns there is on the stud but likely not enough.

As a minimum its at least the diameter of the stud.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
mmm i had an idea of cutting the nuts in half to get 100% coverage on the bolts,
probably pushing it though..

Its funny since owning this car the only problem i have had with it is from human error, it has been exceptionally reliable, 235000 kilometres, that's almost to the moon and she still smells new, thats what i like about them the smell of leather when you get in every morning, its the best smell in the world
Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: