Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Which manifold best for 930 efi?

Hi Chaps.

Ran out of fuel again yesterday and came home furious at Porsche.

I've never understood why Porsche, who had such an amazing flagdship model in the 930, chose to run it on such antique technology. The 3.2 Carrera ran EFI from late '83 but our cars continued with CIS to the end. In fact, I'd be even more peeved if I owned a 965. Was Porsche just being lazy?
Steam vs. Diesel!!! Even RUF got it sorted out.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. I have to go EFI as I can no longer afford CIS.
All credit to you guys who are sticking with CIS but I'm fed up of seeing other petrol heads in classic muscle cars getting smoother running, better mileage and more power by bringing their chariots into the modern era.

My question is, which is the best manifold to use for EFI? Do I stick with the standard flat intake or go for the 3.2 Carrera manifold?
I have a 965 intercooler on my car, will it work with a 3.2 manifold?

Any of your thoughts on this matter are welcome.

Thank you.

Robert.

P.S.

Any U.K. Pelicans who have gone EFI on their 930's?
I'd love to get in touch for your thoughts and advice.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you are not going crazy with mods, I believe the stock pancake manifold will work fine. I think the Carrera manifold is supposed to be better, but then you get into intake port work and other changes related connecting the intercooler, etc.

I converted to EFI and am using the stock manifold and it works fine. I do have a stock engine with only upgrades being turbo, intercooler, muffler, and EFI. Runs great and is easily checked and adjusted if the need arises, via a laptop, in seconds.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

I think that I remember reading that Chris of Turbo Kraft has done builds at, or approaching, 600hp with the pancake manifold.

Here you go -

stock 3.3 manifold vs Carrera manifold for EFI?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Robert,

Without porting your heads to Carrera specs, there's not a lot to gain from going with a tall 3.2L Carrera manifold. Plus you have to modify your intercooler (we do not advise cutting and rotating the center of a Carrera manifold).

If you think you'll be porting your heads in the future, and want to use a Carrera manifold, we manufacture tapered insulator adapters to go from the Carrera manifold's 41.5mm bore down to the 930 heads' 32mm inlets.
TurboKraft Inc : Carrera Intake Manifold Adapter Set [930 110 459 TK] - $274.00

The flat 930/965 plenum manifold isn't sexy, but without porting you can get nearly 500whp, and ported out we've done a flat 600whp on gasoline. xbmwguy also did 600whp.
Advantages:
* you have it
* it works with your C2T intercooler (which is good for approx. 470whp before heat soaking)
* small plenum volume = quick response with stock heads, smallish turbo -- very driveable street car
* easy EFI conversion -- unbolt the manifold, remove all the CIS, reinstall with our EFI Injector Blocks.

Example of similar builds:
Taking the EFI Plunge
1982 Porsche 930 Flatnose | Fred

jburer has a basic 3.3L EFI -- stock heads, 964 cams, bolt-on upgrades. You can PM him for info.

Other EFI guys in England -- send me a PM, I can point you to others with EFI on their 911 Turbos.

Regards,
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you Emery. I see you've got Electromotive. I've been looking into them.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you Ronnie's 930, I'll read through that link.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

DPHANS

Hej Robert
My suggestion is to go for a Carrera intake manifold,
Even some factory egine have this setup,
I think I have all you need ....somewhere in my garage,
BR
DPHANS

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Doc Emard (930's by Doc.. Stone Mountain, GA) was using a 3.2L intake on his personal slant nose back in the mid 90's That, was a HELL of a car.....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Is very busy

Garage
I have a Carrera intake manifold on my car, which has 545 hp, so apparently it can handle quite some power.

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Pancake here 525whp
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
The best manifold? Of course the one with ITB's and dual-plenums on both banks. Is it needed? Yes, if you are perfectionist, but one must always consider other mods. If you leave stock turbo etc, no point at all. If you leave stock heads, stay with the pancake as others have already said because ports are still smaller than 3.2 manifold.

But here's some ideas.
Porsche 962 engine:

And Audi dual-plenum intake:
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: