Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Trying to get my 930 back from sleeping.

Hi all

I have a 1978 930, odometer shows about 50,000 miles. It sat for I think, 5 years.
I know gas must come out...I did that.
Then changed oil, turned over but not firing. So I pulled a plug....btw it's a Bosch titanium plug...should it be a normal plug type from 1978? I ground plug started engine but no spark.
I took off intercooler to get to distributor, but cannot get off ....too tight, I think the back clip must be removed, so to do this you must mark distributor and turn for access..correct?
Then I was told the CDI box must " humm", mine does not....check wires, fuse Ok, do have I have a bad CDI? Do I buy a new MSD or rebuilt original?
Then I noticed the fuel pumps, makes no noise, on my 73 it does, my 1988 no noise....so is that a issue?

Thx
Still working on it...thoughts please
Bill
Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
CDI box .. i dont think mine hums.. Did you cnage fuel filter as well?
Theres a fuel pump front and rear and both should make this buzzyy noise.

(My car also sat for a long time)
1993 Vaz 21063
Old 03-22-2014, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Distributor cap

I had to pull my dist cap yesterday to access an oil line leaking. Without moving the distributor, I labled and pulled the wires then used a tiny common screwdriver about 4" long and was able to get a finger on the screw from the left side to guide the screwdriver tip into the slot. It worked for me!

Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yes the stock CDI box should have a high pitch buzz/hum when the key is turned to the ON position.

Your pumps will not run until the air plate on the fuel head is depressed by incoming air pressure.

However, you can do a very simple test on the pumps, by turning the key to the ON position, then push down on the CO2 mixture adjuster. This adjuster is located behind the airbox on the fuel head. It is a tall, small diameter, spring loaded allen head screw, between the right side of the fuel distributor and the left side of the air plate sensor.

As soon as you push down on that, with the key turned to the ON position, your pumps will run. Do not let them run very long, or you will flood your engine.

Hope this helps you out!

mark
Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Also behind the dist there's a green plug. If you unplug that and turn the key it should do it
Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Good, I will test my fuel pumps, hopefully they both are good...now that your saying they do not just run with key on...

The CDI box must be bad no buzz sound..anyone know what CDI I should buy and where?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Is the CDI box getting power?

New ones are extremely expensive if you can find one and a used one will be at least 25 years old.

Pelican offers a rebuild and test service Pelican Parts - Product Information: AT-CDIREPAIR

Here is some more info on how they are tested and what can fail.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I also have a 78 930 (coincidently that has about 50k miles) that sat for about 6 years. I had to replace some fuel hoses as well as the return hose.

You can also push down on the air meter plate if you have the airbox off to check fuel pumps. It's hard to get to the adjuster screw. Turn key on push of the plate to see if it activates the pumps.

I would get a set of CIS gauges and check your fuel pressures. My wur was messed up from the old fuel. I sent it to Larry at CIS flowtech. He does good work.

Definitely change the fuel filter. I would also change the oil and flush the brake fluid before doing any extended driving.

As far as the dist cap, I pulled my IC and the charge pipe and you should be able to get your left hand in the back to clip or unclip the cap. Inspect your green wire coming from the distributor. These can be a problem later. +1 on the CDI high pitch buzz. You should hear that. Check to see you have power going to the cdi.

Also check all your intake hoses and elbows particularly if they are under boost. Unmetered air throws the balance off.

Good luck, keep us posted. Pics please?

John
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
What about 8 pin CDI boxes??
Theyre on all Euro 930's
Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Well I pulled the CDI it never made a humming sound.
My plans are to send to our host for the $175 rebuild fee.
I did remove air cleaner and pushed on the plunger with key in and I just heard the rear relay coming on no fuel pumps. But I am low on fuel because I plan to drain it. I then removed fuel filter and tried again no fuel. So I have no fuel or spark. First I want to understand the spark problem then fuel....pictures are coming.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Your is the double distributor mine is the 1978 version of only 6 wires.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Here you go Bill, pics of your 78.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

CDI boxes don't buzz... They make a high pitched whine. You can't hear it if the ambient noise is minimal and you haven't lost your hearing. Lol
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, I never heard the high pitch either....never heard nothing......

Any ideas out there?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Have you removed and reinserted the fuel pump relays to make sure they are connecting in their sockets? Once they got old they are known for loosening up and by the looks of things you have some mild corrosion in the engine bay that could cause issues with them.

They are also easy to remove completely so you can install a jumper wire for testing ruling out the relays themselves.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
Ok, I never heard the high pitch either....never heard nothing......

Any ideas out there?
^^^ First thing to do, before sending it off for testing/repair, is to see if power is getting to it. I do not know from memory which pin in the connector is the power source, but I know it is listed somewhere on this forum.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
This might sound stupid, but have you tried changing the battery? A weak battery will give all sorts of problems.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

thank goodness ronnie. glad someone finally said that. its pin 15.

MSD is a nice "upgrade". i say that because for me it allowed me to remove the last of my electronics, no speed sensor/rev limiter. the MSD has a nice adjustable rev limiter built in.
search msd under me for my install.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
thank goodness ronnie. glad someone finally said that. its pin 15.
Hey Bill.. glad to see that you're finally getting some time in on that car! Hmmm, seems also that a lot of us around here have 78's ehh?

Anyway, as someone mentioned.. you need to ensure you have a good battery.

From the looks of things there, you need to disconnect the battery and go through the 14 pin connecter and clean each terminal, both male & female sides. Look at the male side and ensure that each pin is spread just enough for a snug fit into the female socket, do the same with the relay as well. Then check & clean the same on your CD & its socket.. you can use some aerosol eclectic contact cleaner. I would also check and clean the connections on the fuel pumps as well.

Again, from the looks of things, I would pull the coil wire from the coil and distributor side to see if there is any of that funky green corrosion that forms in there when these cars are left outside for so long.. actually wont hurt to do each plug wire as well. You'll need to get your self some small round wire brushes. (plumbing supply store) As someone else stated, you do not need to remove the distributor to get the cap off.. take your time, find & pop the clip... I think I'd just replace that cap and rotor anyway!

While you're in there rooting around and checking stuff.. look at the fuel line that goes to the fuel head and the others coming to it.. take the line in both hand and kinda twist or bend it.. it shows cracking, then you need to replace them. You have two choices, buy new... or remove and send out or take them somewhere locally and have them rebuilt. You can do this after you get the car running of course.. I just wouldn't get into any prolonged use with dry rotted lines.

Good luck & enjoy the process!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Hi....yes another 78....#414..
My battery is brand new....
I will check all the fuses again and clean them, as noted. Also rotor and cap. Someone put Titanium Bosch plugs in the car, is this OK.
Gas lines,yes?..will install a new gas filter, but still cannot get pumps to come on, pump relays are OK.

I did check number 15 on the CDI plug and got no line voltage. So trying to find a electrical schematic on this car, because where is the fuse for this line? I got power to the rear fuses and relay, but I read no where if this CDI has a fuse.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: