Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WUR Woes AKA - testing a WUR

So my adventures in buying WURs continues.

Cliffs
1. Bought WUR advertised as adjustable and fully functional, ended up being a non-adjustable core. Seller refused refund after I had it opened for inspection/rebuild. Rebuit it and moved on with life.

1. Bought another WUR advertised as fully functional with a recent full rebuild. Sold it to another member since I dont need two spare WURs, buyer reported that it also appears to also be a non functional core.

F-Me.

So here is my question, is there anyway to test these things without installing them? I have read you can test the internal resistance with a multi-meter, is that the case? If vacuum is applied to the reference port it should hold correct? Is this something I could test with a mity-vac for a specific value?

Thanks all, I am officially done buying any used parts from anywhere. When the buyer ships the WUR back to me I feel like taking a sledge hammer to it just to be done with this goat rodeo.

Sorry for the vent.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm guessing that there is but can't speak from personal experience. Did want to throw out the contact info for a knowledgeable guy that just finished rebuilding both my WUR and Fuel Head. Both units should be arriving at my builder's shop today and hopefully put back on the motor for Dyno testing very soon.

Larry at CIS Flowtech (251-929-3771) did the Fuel Head mods for Stephen Kasper back in the days of ImagineAuto. My adjustable WUR ended up bound up internally, likely because of my own ham-fisted adjustments and my fuel head was in rough shape after sitting for several years.

Should have some concrete, quantifiable, results pretty soon.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you should be able to pull and hold a vacuum. resistance check is a good check. but neither is confirmation that it works.

could be someone dicked with it and got everthing out of whack. could be the bi-metal spring does do its thing anymore.
with them being adjustable and someone not knowing how to go about adjust it they may think it is bad.

me, i would put them on my car before selling it so I new if it was good.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Easiest way to test is to replace a known good unit with the test unit then record cold, warm, boost fuel pressures and time warm up period. Compare these results with your known good one and to the specifications. If you can get AFR data all the better.
WURs are blamed for many things not related so testing is important before throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, testing on the car really isn't an option for me. I dont have the CIS test tools, skill or time.

Can we say with confidence that at the very least if the vacuum reference port doesn't hold vacuum that its buggered?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yes. but that can be replaced. see brian above.

well you know i say that, it may still work as far as changing the CP. depends on the size of the hole.
you really need gauges. ya gotta know where your CP's are at before you start messing with fuel relatated stuff. really no skill in checking CP's.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Are there instructions out there for rebuilding a WUR and making it adjustable as Leask did now that he doesn't do it anymore? I am relatively handy and would do it myself as long as there were directions. My stock WUR works fine and would be a good baseline for any adjustments, I would think.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
Are there instructions out there for rebuilding a WUR and making it adjustable as Leask did now that he doesn't do it anymore? I am relatively handy and would do it myself as long as there were directions. My stock WUR works fine and would be a good baseline for any adjustments, I would think.
It has been done.....with some limitations. Read here: making a stock WUR adjustable
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I agree with everyone in that I do need to buy the CIS test tools. To clarify, I have not been doing any changes to my fuel system. I bought the "adjustable" unit for future plans and the other stock one to have as a spare. The one in my car is working fine.

So if the one I sold isn't holding a vacuum then I guess I am SOL. Ugh. Onto the shelf or into the trash it goes (I am not ready to send out a second WUR for a rebuild this month).

A question on reading the CP, has anyone installed a more permanent gauge setup to read this? Pardon my ignorance but could someone install an inline pressure sender so that this could be read on a gauge in the cockpit?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
A question on reading the CP, has anyone installed a more permanent gauge setup to read this? Pardon my ignorance but could someone install an inline pressure sender so that this could be read on a gauge in the cockpit?
More than one person has installed a permanent gauge at the WUR...or so I've seen pictures of....but I don't know if they're installed to just look at system pressure, or have the switchable gauge to switch between system and control pressures. Not sure if it would be safe to leave such a gauge in place permanently or not. As to cockpit installation (via a pressure sender), sometimes too much information is too much with all that's going on whilst we're behind the wheel at Mach 2. Besides, it's the AFR that we're really interested in.

Let's see if someone else chimes in.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you don't have any gages but you do have a good running 930 you can still test the used WURs. Simply install them on your engine and run it through the warmup period and see how it responds. No need to test boost as you do need gages to see what's going on there.

Yes you can place gages wherever you wish, but for testing used regulators all that is needed is a fuel pressure gage. The only reason I installed gages in the cockpit and on the WUR is that I do a lot of testing.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I bought my perfectly rebuilt, fully adjustable WUR from Brian Leske several years ago...is he still in business?

If he is, why would anybody waste their time going any other route?????

My .02 worth.

Mark
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
I bought my perfectly rebuilt, fully adjustable WUR from Brian Leske several years ago...is he still in business?

My .02 worth.

Mark
Not in business.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Speaking of another route...

MS3-Pro Standalone Engine Management System by DIYAutoTune.com
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: