Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Supercar slayer

Garage
Porsche Crest How often do you drive your 930?

For me, I drive my 930 Slant all year round, usually only once a week on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays, and only if the weather allows me to. I don't drive it if it's supposed to rain, if it's too windy, and if it's too cold (like below 50 degrees or so), though there have been times where I get caught in the rain and drive during cold mornings to Cars and Coffee.

How often do you drive your 930?

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver

Last edited by TheRedSlantnose; 03-30-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Whenever possible which usually ends up to be weekends. I like to make sure I have at least a 20 minute drive to get up to temp. Being caught in the rain doesn't bother me so much. My first DE event was in the pouring rain and we drive with windows down. Although, I try to avoid inclement weather. I love a drive in low temps 30-40 degrees. Adds 50 hp to the butt dyno…or maybe that's my radio delete plate…
Old 03-29-2014, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
My insurance policy restricts me to 2500 miles a year on the car, so I do no more than one tank per month. But in actuality - I do more like 1 tank every two months sadly... This is THE time of year to drive a turbo around here.... I'm going to try and get out to Cars n Coffee next weekend. Perhaps we can meet up and head out there together next week?

Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
10 to 15 miles per trip, 1 to 2 trips per month 8 months a year, never in bad weather. Cooler days are prefered, dog days of summer are avoided.

I don't even know if the A/C works, all the parts are there but I've never tried it, they never worked that good when new.

The car I purchased was described as a driver condition by the seller, black in color and original paint so I figured it needed paint. I never even asked about the interior figuring it was worn too. The drivers seat had the typical wear on the bolster, the rest looks good as new. A little shoe polish on the bolster fixed that.

The out side buffed out real well and now instead of a car I could drive like I stole it, I have 1 I drive very little because of condition and current market valuation.

I fell in love with these cars 30 years ago when in the car business and I still am today. Whats not to love, best looking and perfoming car of it's day and very few meet or exceed the standard even today.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well, it's a love/hate thing (at times) for me. I bought the car cuz I've always loved the way they looked and as a kid lusted after the then performance capabilities. Hate because due to the rising values I find myself more "considerate" of when to drive it.

I'm making a more conscious effort to change that. Since purchasing 3 years ago (one owner black on black 41,000 mile example) I've made a lot of internal changes (rebuilt the motor, bigger turbo/inter cooler,EFI setup, exhaust, etc., etc.) to bring the performance standards to what I would "lust" after today and done very little to the exterior and interior, sans a very nice sound system.

Of course I've kept everything I've taken off so if I ever want to return to stock I, or the next owner more probably, can do so.

It comes out of the EFI conversion in the next week (finally!) and then I plan on driving the snot out of it.

I've had too many cars in the past that, due to many factors, were "to nice to drive" and hence - no fun to own, for me at least.

I don't desire garage queens anymore. Sure I'll keep it nice but the real enjoyment comes more from driving it more than looking at it, but it sure is easy on the eyes!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Since I got the A/C fully sorted [3-condensers], I drove it 5,000 miles last year! Before that, I used to park it the entire summer Now, in the dead heat, it's nice and comfy inside And, with the cooling fans on the front Oil Cooler, the engine temps don't get over 200F.

Sometimes it sits for a month, but then I'll drive it for a week. Took a couple interstate [state-to-state] trips in it [it really likes those].

The only drag is, I do like to keep the undercarriage clean, so once I do a detail, I don't like to get caught out in the rain [for a while].

Last edited by mooney265; 03-29-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Azzurro

My driving doesn't start until late May and ends late October but in those months I try to drive it every weekend. During the winters my grandson and sit in the car each weekend while the winter wind blows outside the garage.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe 2-3 times a week. Really depends. However unlike you I do enjoy driving it when it's cold. But I try to avoid the rain
Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Not nearly enough. Mostly because I'm tearing into it for one thing or another.
I was talking to a buddy about the 930 awhile back. He asked " so where do you take a car like that" ? My answer, "mostly apart"
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yup, 2, 3, 4 times a week. I drive it to work on beautiful back-roads any decent weather days.
Try not to drive it in the rain but it doesn't bother me if it gets wet.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just got mine at the end of November and winter sucked, so I only have about 250 miles on the car since I got it. Planning on driving it on the weekends strictly for fun. I did get it out a couple times in January when the roads were clean and it was 0 degrees outside. That was fun!
New tires going on (Bridgestone RE-11's) and getting it to pass inspection Monday, so I'll actually get to drive it now. Can't wait!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Not enough.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
OG

Garage
I'm restricted by insurance, but I'm considering upping the mileage.
1987 930 GP White Woooosh!!!!!! Burble burble!! Hahaha
Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Between late 2011 and through fall 2012 I was driving 600 - 1000 mi a week. Mid Atlantic, northeast. Traffic, highways, inner city, whatever ( no dirt trackin..haa) Rain or shine...no snow. Loved it. Different job now. Couple hundred miles a week shuffling kids or running errands.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
during spring, summer, and fall I drive whenever it is not raining to work, and on errands or to places I can control parking. I hesitate to take it to random places where it will be attacked by other people's car doors. Beyond that, though, anywhere I can when the weather is good.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Im Lazy, i drive mine even when i need to buy milk from over the road
So i drive mine more than i walk
Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
My insurance policy restricts me to 2500 miles a year on the car, so I do no more than one tank per month. But in actuality - I do more like 1 tank every two months sadly... This is THE time of year to drive a turbo around here.... I'm going to try and get out to Cars n Coffee next weekend. Perhaps we can meet up and head out there together next week?

Chris.
You'd have to get up pretty early to go to Cars and Coffee in Plano, because people start getting there as early as 6:00 am, two hours before it actually starts, and I normally get there around 6:30. I'll think about it and let you know later

Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
Since I got the A/C fully sorted [3-condensers], I drove it 5,000 miles last year! Before that, I used to park it the entire summer Now, in the dead heat, it's nice and comfy inside And, with the cooling fans on the front Oil Cooler, the engine temps don't get over 200F.

Sometimes it sits for a month, but then I'll drive it for a week. Took a couple interstate [state-to-state] trips in it [it really likes those].

The only drag is, I do like to keep the undercarriage clean, so once I do a detail, I don't like to get caught out in the rain [for a while].
I put over 6,000 miles on mine since I bought it since it's so fun to drive I've never driven mine out of the state before though. Yeah, my car had a rain-free record, but that record was destroyed when I got caught in a heavy thunderstorm one day. I had to drive through a partially flooded part of the highway. The water was dirty and reached the top of my boxed rockers!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
10 to 15 miles per trip, 1 to 2 trips per month 8 months a year, never in bad weather. Cooler days are prefered, dog days of summer are avoided.

I don't even know if the A/C works, all the parts are there but I've never tried it, they never worked that good when new.

The car I purchased was described as a driver condition by the seller, black in color and original paint so I figured it needed paint. I never even asked about the interior figuring it was worn too. The drivers seat had the typical wear on the bolster, the rest looks good as new. A little shoe polish on the bolster fixed that.

The out side buffed out real well and now instead of a car I could drive like I stole it, I have 1 I drive very little because of condition and current market valuation.

I fell in love with these cars 30 years ago when in the car business and I still am today. Whats not to love, best looking and perfoming car of it's day and very few meet or exceed the standard even today.
I drive mine up to 100+ miles per drive, with my son as co-driver since he enjoys long drives, and I never take my 930 Slant out for a drive without my son.

I rarely use the A/C in mine even though it works.

Yeah, 930's are definitely better than today's supercars, in fact, mine is even faster than many of them

Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Trying to drive the car once a month, but it is hit and miss the last few years.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: