Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I am in the same boat as most of these responses. I for one couldn't afford to drive what I choose to drive if I paid someone to work on it. In most cases fixing a car is like an on/off switch. The fix either works or it doesn't. If you need to change a water pump in a 996 for instance, the pump will either work and not leak, or it will be immediately apparent that something is wrong, and you need to fix it. Same with most other jobs. There is a lot to be said about fine tuning, but for the most part I figure that I can turn a wrench and read a Bentley manual just as well as the next guy. Also, having explicit forum instructions from former DIYers is always helpful.

I enjoy wrenching on my car, and it is always a bit of an adrenalin rush starting the car for the first time after you have spent time doing major surgery on a motor, haha.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Being a DIY is fine, as long as that project doesn't turn my car into a bastard-child. It's no dirty-little secret that the cars left unmolested/unmodified always turn the highest dollars on resale.

Regardless of my personal opinion, having the best set of surgeons tools in the world...doesn't quantify me as a capable surgeon, and I am certain there have been many "surgeries" and experiments performed by DIY'ers that went up or down in a ball of flames.

Having a bad experience with a mechanic doesn't make me want to perform the service myself...it just motivates me to find someone who can, as the competent ones do what they do best.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Being a DIY is fine, as long as that project doesn't turn my car into a bastard-child. It's no dirty-little secret that the cars left unmolested/unmodified always turn the highest dollars on resale.
And what exactly do you think YOUR car is (a naturally aspirated, "normal" 911 with a 930 engine in it)? Now that is about as "bastard-child" as you can get . . . pity about the horribly diminished resale prospect!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Many (if not most) of us enjoy performing some level of improvements to our cars. The value lies somewhere in your skill (experience) level and your relationship with lady luck
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Regardless of my personal opinion, having the best set of surgeons tools in the world...doesn't quantify me as a capable surgeon, and I am certain there have been many "surgeries" and experiments performed by DIY'ers that went up or down in a ball of flames.
Here's a newsflash for you - professionals, in both medicine and mechanics, create fireballs as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned from Boulder

Garage
If I had to pay someone to do all the little fiddling around I do it would cost me 30k/yr and then I'd have to find another thing to fiddle around with and then that would cost $xxxx and then...
Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh912e View Post
Unfortunately resale does suffer when you DIY your car. Potential buyers love to see receipts from Porsche dealers and upscale shops.
As a DIY'r to the core, I can still agree with this market observation.

To the OP (Charles): If resale was a real possibility, I would consider leveraging a nameplate shop for a top-end rebuild for buyer comfort just as you originally posed. I'd bet 95% of buyers never heard of Pelican and our high Midi-chlorian Jedi skills. If you do go that route, I would still do what you can (engine R&R, intake/exhaust R&R) to lessen their scope of work while still getting the "rebuilt-by" receipt.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

If you do the work yourself take some pictures along the way. It might help if you decide to sell the car.

I have to say I like the pile of work order reciepts with dates and mileage from shops the previous owner saved that came with my car when I bought it.

I've never had a shop work on my car other than mount and balance tires. It was the same with all the German cars I've owned before accept once when I lived up north and it was around 10 degrees out in the middle of winter and my BMW 2002 clutch wore out and I didn't have a garage then either.

I have a huge collection of parts order reciepts for what thats worth. I only recently got into sometimes stopping to snap a pic or two while working on it because it's fun to post them here and read the replies.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I only recently got into sometimes stopping to snap a pic or two while working on it because it's fun to post them here and read the replies.
trussssssssssst us, more fun for us to read the how-to's and see the pics - sobeyondthanks

there are certainly still jobs I'll farm out as they're just not worth it (and there's surrrrely more of those had I more crinkage)

aiming to gun for the 2 post / 4 prong install here someday (nooooot what Ronnie's smiley avatararmy would have you think) hopefully sooner than later, 12' ceiling beggin for it...

me, I earned me some baulzdeep DIY'age Merrit Points Saturday, me motor 'n trans now on the floor whilst me cherrypop'age is now pop'etht - thanksmucholy Jacob for braving the journey to/fro NJ/CT/NJ.

Er, guess that's DIW/J'age Points then d'oh.

So welcome me to some 'while I'm in thar'... oy!

Hands down, bestestest part of all 'this'??? Shoutout convos I have with rewardingly many of you. Get to catch up w/ some quality folks, good stuff good times gents - always. That goes a million miles. You guys rule.

>queue I Love You Guys<

yabastids

the motor / trans will just go right back in, right - I'm thinking Bippity Boppity Boo!?

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Banned

Paul, so why the engine removal? Do you need to reengineer its position in the chassis in order to mount yer new, GIANT, rimzzzz?

And good luck getting that 4-pronger up thar (youse got plenty of lubage in yer GAYrage?)!

P.S. -

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 03-31-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
For those who worry about the value of their cars for resale I Think having records of work done is good, but having a diary and photographs is better,

Anyone can show a handful of reciepts and im sure many are not legit , ive seen ads that mention tens of thousands of dollars of work done etc, the sellers uncle mught have a workshop and can easily help out with dodgy brothers reciepts in this age of computers..

So my view that a DIY with Diary and photos is as good if not better than a book full of reciepts from reputable shops or otherwise,

How easy is it to download a letterhead from a porsche website and paste it onto the top of an invoice?? somehing to think about..

My DIY work is a timeline of jobs and work done on the car, i have over 3000 photographs and around 10 or so videos , everytime i (strap on a new ziptie) or sometimes more i take a photo,

I think thats worth more than a handful of Receipts because for those who god forbid go to sell their pride and joy one day i bet a prospective customer will be more impressed with that then dirty old paper,

If i had to choose between two identical cars id take the one with the visual history anyday
Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
me, I earned me some baulzdeep DIY'age Merrit Points Saturday, me motor 'n trans now on the floor whilst me cherrypop'age is now pop'etht - thanksmucholy Jacob for braving the journey to/fro NJ/CT/NJ.

the motor / trans will just go right back in, right - I'm thinking Bippity Boppity Boo!?
Paul, after the winter we just had in the NorthEast, and driving season maybe 2 weeks away, you drop your engine now??? LOL
Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
I'm not that smaht, Ken!

I'm hoping to have it buttoned back up by May - with muuuuuuch effort and more than a bit of luck.

oy

Not dignifying Ronnie's musings, though that .gif is likely one of your best yet certainly!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I prefer to do everything myself. Always have not just with the car but the house, furniture etc. The only work I ever farm out is dirty nasty stuff I don't care about the results that much. For instance oil changes on my Chevy pick up that has 220k miles on it that burns a quart of oil with every tank of gas. I only use it for going to pick up large items and to take trips to the dump. Or things I know I don't have the skills or tools for like repainting the car. Which to my eternal anger was the only thing I didn't do myself and now 5 years later needs redone. Time for me to learn body work and painting I guess.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
hahaha, I also agree about the lack of quality from many so called "pedigree shops" I had a 944 turbo that I purchased with a bad engine. Upon disassembley I saw the repair to the oil filter housing consisted of gobs of orange RTV sealant..... Much of it in the oil galleries. Sure enough I found a receipt for this "reseal" which was for 650.00 dollars.... Unreal...
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: