Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Clocking the oil drain on turbo??

Just an unmeditated thought regarding adding turbo to 3.2 (1987 911)...

One of the things I worry about is how low the catch can on the turbo must go, and how high it must be to facilitate gravity drainage.

What are the thoughts about clocking the drain so that it is at the 8 o'clock position, instead of 6 o'clock (the conventional way)?

This would allow much better clearance of the catch can, due to it being higher, plus it would allow a drainage angle more conducive to gravity flow.

Yes, there would be oil sitting below the level of 8 o'clock in the turbo itself, but surely the oil pressure would be pushing the oil up to the 8-position, enough for drainage?

Anyone tried this?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

No offset clocking. Your just asking for trouble. If the turbos center section is parallel with the rocker box center section, then you can drain to anywhere below, ie lower valve cover, sump cover, timing covers ect.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

As GJF stated above.. just add an AN fitting to both the chain cover, and to the other side of the catch can. Then make up an AN line from the catch can to the chain cover... If there is too much oil that the scavenge pump can handle, it will drain to the chain cover.... never have to worry about it again...
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OK. So don't clock the turbo so the drain is not a 6 o'clock position.
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Exactly, the
The inlet at 12 and drain at 6.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

My 87 Carrera has had the turbo clocked to about 7 o'clock. It has never been at 6 due to coming too close to T flange.

The Turbonetics CHRA was shot, so can't tell if this was cause from this or not.

My Holset appears fine so far, but not that long of time being on.

I have a Protomotive chip for your car if you ever want to run Motronic.

LMK,
Cory
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Slantnose from HELL

You can clock them as much as 60 degrees. I have clocked them even more than that without failure. But it all depends on the way it terminates, to the fitting or hose nipple . If it's a nice direct dump with no bends, then it usually doesn't give you any trouble. But adding any bends to slow oil flow tends to back them up. I had a problem years ago where I drained into a oil pan and the windage from the crankshafts rotation, back feed the drain from the turbo at speed causing a nice smoke show. It's just a safe practice to run them vertical if possible so oil doesn't rest in the CHRA at all.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: