Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Which wideband kit to buy?

Hi.

Need some help deciding which to go for. Been reading a lot about it but seem to get less sure on which to get.

I want a complete kit to read afr and also logging on either sd card or similar in the car. Don`t want a laptop lying around in the cabin.

Been looking at AEM, Innovate, Zeitronix and other brands. I`m a DIY`er so easy to install is a must. Also price is important

I find lots but not sure which includes which so a link to the package is much appreciated

Thanks,
OHeggem
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

It will be easier to give you advice on this if you state what is the maximum price you are willing to pay (since you note above that "price is important").
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
i see that most systems are about $250 to about $500. I am not willing to send the car to Germany to build a custom system in gold but i do have a 930 so a converted gameboy will not do either.

Best, easiest system for the buck
Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
BTW i was going for the Zeitronix zt-2 but i don`t understand if the unit stores data which can be read afterwords or if i need a laptop connected to store when driving?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hej

Read this:

Zeitronix Zt-2 : SEMA Award Winning Wideband Engine Datalogging System

And you'll find answers

BTW, no need for laptop, but possible, SD card can be read-out at home

If you prefer to read in German, look here:

LAMBDA-Tuning - Shop für ZEITRONIX - DashDAQ - K-Sport

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Ok so i need to connect the laptop to the zt-2 unit in the car after driving and get the data off it, or buy the datalogger with sd card to bring home. For realtime viewing add a gauge or display.

It adds up to $500 with a gauge and logger. The Innovate The LM-2 Kit is $479.

So which is the better user friendly and easy system?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Definitely check out AEM Wide Band Failsafe- data logs 2-3 hours internally. No laptop need while driving. You plug laptop into USB cable in glove box. The gauge has dual functionality. I have mine set up with AFR read out on LED dis pal and boost in center digital display. Cost appx $275. All of these gauges were contemplated for use in front engined cars. So, the four feet of harness they give you to run from the exhaust sensor to the gauge is not adequate. In my case, I found a shop that made me an 18 foot extension.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have the Innovate MTX-L and PL-1 (pocket logger). Not hard to install and all the cables were long enough to mount the gauge in the console by the shifter. I have the PL-1 in the glovebox.
I cant speak for the other brands you are looking at but I can say I have no issues with mine.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
Ok so i need to connect the laptop to the zt-2 unit in the car after driving and get the data off it, or buy the datalogger with sd card to bring home. For realtime viewing add a gauge or display.

It adds up to $500 with a gauge and logger. The Innovate The LM-2 Kit is $479.

So which is the better user friendly and easy system?
No, without the logger you have to logg with the laptop, no logging without (that's why there is a logger as option you know)

Display or gauge is included together with logger if you spend 500USD. You can logg over 100hrs of data with an SD card or spent another 10USD to buy the logger with 1GB included. This data can after run read-out at home etc.. on a laptop or PC

I use the ZT-2 without logger as I do it with my netbook. I dont want do go home to see where I should make some changes, want to do it right after a certain run. This way I can see right after, what the changes made...

Later I can make it at home anyway if needed or more investigations are indicated

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
For the feature set (WBo2 and EGT in one 52mm standard gauge, without any additional controller) and price, there is no contest with VEMS Round: VEMS Shop

It has logging, many inputs and even boost control feature. And with other version (cheaper actually lol) number and device colours can be ordered in many combinations.
It can show boost with just added MAP sensor, rpm from coil etc. Also supports AIM protocol, meaning it can display tens of parameters from any ECU that has AIM support (Motec etc).

Last edited by Raceboy; 04-03-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just ordered a PLX wideband. You have the option to daisy chain more devices together
The nice thing is, they all run off of the one gauge. When $ allows I'll add the boost gauge for $100.
Check out the post by 16volt.
I also considered the AEM Failsafe
Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thought i`d order this:
PLX DM-6 SM-AFR | Wideband Air Fuel Gauge

The logging though. Trying to understand this picture:
Data Logging - PLX Devices

I got an iphone so what`s needed to actually log. So confusing to know what to get
Old 05-01-2014, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I like TechEdge WBo2.com WIDEBAND AFR/LAMBDA (Tech Edge) products because they offer WB02 with tons of extra inputs all in one simple box. They also have dual WB02 boxes to monitor 2 sensors. Extensive range of products.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
For the feature set (WBo2 and EGT in one 52mm standard gauge, without any additional controller) and price, there is no contest with VEMS Round: VEMS Shop

It has logging, many inputs and even boost control feature. And with other version (cheaper actually lol) number and device colours can be ordered in many combinations.
It can show boost with just added MAP sensor, rpm from coil etc. Also supports AIM protocol, meaning it can display tens of parameters from any ECU that has AIM support (Motec etc).

this is what I'm running, boost in main / EGT in 2ndary

VEMS is my bud Marc in NH, we go waaaaay back in Audidom when he was a local yocal here... supercool supertalented dood!

for the pricepoint it's very feature-rich, I know I don't use it to it's fullest yet (I'm a tech caveman)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-01-2014, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thought i`d order:
PLX DM-6 SM-AFR | Wideband Air Fuel Gauge
PLX iMFD Link | Data Log

Then i`m all set and need a laptop for logging. Can i use something else for logging maby?

Haha, need to pull the trigger on this. Spending way too much time thinking!!
Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I created this video showing how nice a dashboard you can create with the TechEdge devices and WinLog software:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vbTIBR9tMI

The techedge products are highly customizable as you'll see in the video.

It's not so much that I like TechEdge but rather that I really like the WinLog software that works with TechEdge.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible

Last edited by scarceller; 05-28-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
Got that one, its working well.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I went the PLX route but havent finished the install. Project ADD.

PLX Wideband
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 05-28-2014, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Innovate MTX- L. South of $200 on Amazon.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
How much logging do you want to do? I am using the PLX via their Kiwi/iMFD wifi connected to my iPhone. Using the Dashcommand app with this setup, there is some basic logging ability. It works for me.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: