Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Refreshing those Front Fender Bolts

Hi thought id post my technique on getting the bolts and leather washers up to par/replacement

The washers are brittle and hard after 30 or so years, some survived removal others didnt, the good ones i soaked in hot dishwashing liquid , for the ones that didnt survived and split in half I use a cork gasket sheet to cut gaskets to size, it is a cheap easy replacement for gaskets that arent under extreme pressure and/or heat,

Cut a square fit it over bolt behind washer and cut to shape trim it and youve got a good cork washer to fit

I use a Drill with wire brush to remove old paint
Then a buffingwheel with some chalk to polish the bolt and washer

The hole where bolt came from is sprayed with fish oil, or you could use wd40 or something like that, i do it as soon as i remove the bolt to ensure where the thread is exposed no rust starts, im sure a lot of rust can start from this area inside the fenders, everything there from the factory is zinc coated and painted extremely well im sure it wouldnt take much time exposed to damp air for it to start,

Then i spray copper gasket spray on the thread it keeps it moving from any vibration as it dries quite firm,

Line up the letter k on the bolts and thats it

Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: