Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Major conundrum! Which Turbo do I sell?

This is a major problem in my life as far as "high class problems" go. I got out of racing in 2007 and went instead for tracking various cars ever since. Now, I either want to get back into racing or get a dedicated track car that can race here and there. The problem is I have no space so 1 car has to go.

Choice 1: 1986 930 with under 23k miles. I haven't owned this car for a year but it was a dream car of mine ever since I worked at DOR Porsche in 1986-1987. Car has some mods but I have all the original parts and it can easily be returned back to stock. Original paint, original everything. 1 owner from 1987 until I bought it in 2013. Car is a 3.5 out of 5 on the Haggerty scale which means it is nearly a 4 but not quite. I rarely drive this guy but when I do it is always special.

Choice 2. 2001 996TT. This car has around 40k miles and has some mods, too. This is my go-to car for, well, anytime I want to do something which requires me to drive more than 15 minutes. Despite the misgivings of 996TT's, I absolutely love this car. I have tracked it but it is not what I want for a track car. Too heavy, too complex, too much of a compromise. It is not as emotional as my 930 and the experience is not the same but, as I said, it's my go-to car.

I wouldn't even know what to ask for the 930. I know 996TT values pretty well. The 930 alone could finance the race/track car which is good financially. I have owned some classics and while I love them I have OCD with them so that kind of kills my enjoyment. I hate cleaning the underside!

Anyways, thought I would vent. I may do nothing. I may do something. But the racing bug is killing me and my 996TT just doesn't do it for me on the track.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think you know the answer from what I read. Go with your heart. sell the 996tt
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On 6speedonline-Alot of good advice for 996tt-track setup--Just doing a 24/18g set-up there aren't many cars that can catch you.

Apples and Oranges.

GL

Walt
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'd keep the 930 because there is no substitute, and scoop up a rules-compliant track whore in the series you wish to race in that someone is selling to get out of the life. (Of any brand, BTW- not necessarily a P-car. W2W racing can be fun even in anything.)
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
This is a major problem in my life as far as "high class problems" go. I got out of racing in 2007 and went instead for tracking various cars ever since. Now, I either want to get back into racing or get a dedicated track car that can race here and there. The problem is I have no space so 1 car has to go..
I've got it.. so since the issue isn't really financial..

Then buy yourself a Bendpack 4 post lift and add a nice race car to the stable..
Like they say; "even a kid knows you can never have too many toys!"
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My garage really prevents a lift. I actually have a terrible garage with tiny doors and a 90 degree bend to get in with no space. It requires you to K the car in.

The issue with the 996TT is I want a cage. I don't want a car as fast as thing with no safety equipment. And I am not putting one in my car because it's too nice.

Still on the fence either way. Let me sleep it over.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

996tt: still a depreciating asset
930: on the cusp of becoming an appreciating asset.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What a question... obviously choice 2.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I think I know where this is heading and sort of agree. The idea of selling my 996TT is a tough pill to swallow. It is a beast in its own right and I do take a good amount of satisfaction having just about the fastest car on the road (mine puts out roughly 560hp). But I do enjoy driving my 930 more and certainly would enjoy a better track car far more. Damn.

Why couldn't my obsession be gardening?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

renovate the garage and then park a new set of wheels! Fix K problem and add Bay #3.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I almost sold my house due to my garage problems!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
beancounter

I can appreciate this conundrum. No one (especially here) will disagree that the 930 is a special car. But...(flame suit on), it is just a car. Whatever makes you happy is the best answer.

I recently acquired an '83 911 based race car. Driving on the track is how I most want to spend my automotive hobby time. Up until I got the race car, the 930 was my track vehicle, and while its an awesome piece...on the track, the 911 race car is leaps and bounds better. Its the better tool for the job right now.

I still enjoy driving the 930 on the street (to/from the track sometimes), but for street use, a more modern car has some undeniable advantages, and then naturally there are some disadvantages too. So, in the end it comes down to what's the intended use, and what's best tool? I for one would love to have a different car for every possible use case, but even If I had the space and could afford to do so, I'm not sure I'd go there...having a fleet of vehicles to maintain and care for can suck the fun out of the hobby I think. Life is about choices and compromise...and yes, this is a nice "1st world" problem to have. Enjoy!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure if you have another car as a daily driver. If all you have are 993tt and a 930 and you want to get rid of one to make room for a track car (hmm...I'm sure you have a truck for hauling a race car) then sell your 930 since a 993tt would be more practical. But if you bought a 930 intending to keep it 'forever' then sell your 993tt. You got a good tough choice!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I would sell both and daily/track a gt3
Best of both worlds.
Less powerful as your turbo but like already said a better tool.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I've got a daily driver so that's not the issue. Transportation to and from the track is not a problem. I have options galore and I wouldn't even rule out buying a car set up for the track and driving to and from. My buddy's can take extra wheels tires and the tracks here are at most 2.5 hours away. Not a biggie.

I've been looking at GT3's and passed on a few great ones due to the space issue. I have considered selling both my cars because, as jawsbury pointed out, maintaining 3 cars is a huge time suck. I am nuts with cars so they have to be clean and working and anything that even might need fixing I usually do on my own. I am missing my old setup: truck, trailer, race car. Was so simple.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
I almost sold my house due to my garage problems!
You are not alone on this one my friend!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: