Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
DCR Rides

Garage
Here we go again

Well I am definetly have issues with my 87 930 it cranks but will not start. I have been using print outs of the factory service manual but the Turbo manual I found does not have much info for the 87. I will be starting over from scratch trouble shooting the no spark issue. I have power to the CDI box Bosch but no spark from the coil. I have replaced the coil and the CDI no joy same problem. I am ready to pull the trigger and install an MSD 6AL-2 to see if I can get her back to life.
Can the msd be used with the distributor not being locked out? I could use some advice from the guys here who have already done this on their cars.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Mike
Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
DCR Rides

Garage
A little more background info on this car my troubles all began when the alternator crapped out I have replaced the alternator, the battery, the fan belt, I have replaced all fuses and cleaned all of the connections. I replaced the ignition delay relay as the old one was bad, I had no power at 15 on the CDI. with the new relay I now have 12v at the cdi. I replaced the Coil and cdi still no resolution. Well back to checking the 14pin connector at the engine relay panel.

Later
Mike
Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

well the great thing about the MSD is it lets you know if you have a trigger input from the dist.
which if you have a GOOD 12v tothe CD and the coil, wiring and grounds are all good, i would look into the dist as the problem.

GOOD 12v. by that i mean one that will provide the current needed to run the CD. a MM will not tell you this. get a test light. connect it across the battery. note how bright the light is. now check the 12V at the CD using the same ground the CD is grounded to. then i would also use the engine ground. the light should be as bright as the battery test. try vasrious grounds to make sure they are good,

you could try to ohm out the dist. i would do it at the CD connector. i think it should be around 600ohms. that should check the wiring too.

the wire to the coil could also be bad. mine had a few cracks in it but they were not keeping it from working. i still pulled in another one using the original wire as a pull string. that way the new wire was still in the wire harness. BUT, with the MSD you get dedicated wires to the + and - on the coil so all that is eliminated.
(really, i am not trying to talk you into an MSD. but, the MSD also has a cool dial in rev limiter.
i was also able to remove all the electronic crap from under my seat.) (had to bypass the speed relay to make the FP run, that was a good thing too).

there really is not much to keep yo from getting spark.
CD, coil, wiring to coil and dist, dist, grounds, and of course 12v to the CD.

OH, one other thing. on my car one of the ground studs on the mounting plate for the coil was not making contact and the coil had no ground. i had to move the wires to another stud.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
DCR Rides

Garage
Thanks TT , where did you pickup 12V switched pwr for the MSD? I plan to run a new feed for 12V to the Battery. I believe I shoud find 12v switched at the engine relay panel I know that the Ignition Delay Relay has 12V switched power, Also what Sparkplugs are you using with the MSD? Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to get as much info as possible going into this project.

regards
Mike

Last edited by mdripley; 04-12-2014 at 06:29 AM..
Old 04-12-2014, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i used the origianl connector (and power) that went to the bosch CD. of course i flipped the dist wires going to the MSD.
most suggest the bosch WCS4 plug, which i usually use but right now i have a set of NGK copper plug. BP8's i think but i think a 9 might be better. will have to check again.

i ran power to the start. ground to engine, but i grounded mine on the real panel. make sure all grounds are very good.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mike,
You're welcome to give us a call, maybe we can help. Tel. (480) 969-0911. Ask for Mike, he's our head tech and very good with these cars' archaic electrical systems.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
DCR Rides

Garage
Thanks to both t77911S and Chris from Turbo Kraft for your responses. my biggest problem is the available time I have to trouble shoot this issue.
beyond a doubt when my alternator died it took out the CDI box the coil the alt. warning diode and the Ignition delay relay. I am still tracing out
and checking all wiring in the dash, the forward relay panel and the relays under the drivers seat. It is time consuming because I want to ensure that I find
and fix all wiring issues, and locate any other relays and components that may be bad.I live out in the sticks about 25 miles South West of Tucson. I may be
able to get a waiver for emissions due to where I live and the fact that this car is not and never will be a daily driver. If I get the waiver
I plan to remove all emission related components. It will be another week due to current workload before I can pickup on chasing down my wiring issues
at least I made good progress with the engine wiring harness. once again thanks. I am sure once I start to put the MSD in I will be asking more questions on the forum.

Best Regards
Mike
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mike, if you're not in the Tucson metro area there should be no emissions, right? If there are, once you pass you can now get tags good for 5 or 10 years on cars 25+ years old. We had an '82 on the rack with 5-year tags, and Mike's 1967 was eligible for 10-year tags.

Backdating the CIS isn't the most complicated conversion, and between that and deleting all the emissions junk it sure tidies up the engine. But IMO it'll be easiest & cheapest to install the MSD + coil, and replace the diode and relay (if expensive, we probably gave a several good used here).
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
DCR Rides

Garage
Believe it or not Chris the long arm of emissions covers daily drivers even where i live if you work in Tucson i am applying for a waiver because my residence is right on the boundary buy since i donot use my car to drive to school or work i can apply for waiver fingers crossed.

Best Regards
Mike
Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
DCR Rides

Garage
My car failed the last emission test for hc loaded last August it quit running shortly there after.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: