Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

No suggestion to offer regarding the hose coupling, but an observation that you were obviously VERY aroused by the "Little Ronnie Richard" comment seeing as you posted it (and the rest of the message) twice, bisch!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Paulie:

Try siliconeintakes.com or intakehose.com is where I bought all the convoluted plumbing pieces I needed.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 05-01-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

fwiw, you can also try here.. the prices may be lower but I havn't looked recently. Search Results

The owner of this website is a member here, drmatera.
A bunch of pages of silicone hoses on the page I pasted above and lots of other stuff on his website.
Race Part solutions - Race Part Solutions
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Ah, thanks for that referral Jim - forgot about Darin's shop. 'PALOOZAd w/ him coupla yearses back, great dude...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
with the clock ticktockin away Tminus <30daze 'n counting fer Montreal F1 roadtrip, I at least attempt to stand firm toward my daily mantra of doing at least a little bit of something on the POS each day

(sleep, overrated)

Sir Len Cummings (BoxsterGT) ohso kindly journey'd down again to sunnaaaay Tolland Sunday to test fit the Elephant Racing FMOC brackets and to final-test-fit his latest fab'd up angled line fittings. What a true gent. He'll be returning hopefully this week for the final mock-up for me to then install. Supercool! Btw... the lines look IMPECCABLE... and fit 100% exactly perfect per my envisioned plan. Len is da MAN on these things.

I had a few PM's and req's for sharing how I'd be mounting this - you can see the strapping in one of the pics being used for ease of layout for measuring for the real bracket to be cut - securing with 2 bolts going straight in, going down 7" and then going back 5" secured with one bolt going up, on each end of the cooler.

The lines aren't clamped yet - and the ER brackets while $120 (!!!) make for a real slick fit (cameo action shot of Len's hands hard at werk):

Here's my fender oil cooler fan since we were discussing that in another thread here recently - seems sommaya's have / sommaya's no have this? Odd. Also odd, the shroud leaves a good 3/4" gap to the inner fender flare - wonder why? I have to shim that up @ some point to capture that airflow escapage. Joy:

Gotta pull the cooler / shroud tonightski to slot the outer edge for the pair of FMOC lines to pass thru up high - part of my Pelican bill did include their set 'o oil line spanners so I'm rightly equipped fer once!

Here's to hoping that some lube'age of ze fan will resurrect it. Nooooo idea if it was running before, never even knew it was there sadly - but - it was prettttty darn tight to spin by hand. Would be nice to save it certainly...

moving along

trans fluid drop and Swepco fill - check!

DAYUM was that drain plug seized... had to propane that sukkah

(and DAYUM is that shiit GOOEY!!!!)

The f'n pump I got w/ the fluid from Amazon wouldn't guzzle the last 1/4 or so of the gallon (unlike Ronnie, Captain Googuzzler - good 'till the last drop!) - awesome - tried to minimize the goo mess w/ the angled funnel I used.

WORSE!!!

The pump spout has this pair of 3/4" 'ears' which allow it to secure the outer edges of the input hole - well - smarty Paul pulled on the hose to remove and the ears bit into the edges... and 1/2" of one ear sheered off.

***INTO THE GEARBOX***

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IN THE GOATASSSSSSSSSSS!!!

After the nausea, delusion, and HariKari temptation passed, I Doctor Jellyfinger'd around in that gooey HOOOOR... and... miraculously not only was able to find / feel it... I fingerbang'd that fukker OUT!!!! Phew. Friggin crisis, averted (remember, kids - I RULE - never doubt nor underestimate my Ruling Prowess!).

Also... the mag drain plug had fair amount of grey goo stuck to it... and... Merry Xmas to PAUL: the head of one gear tooth - maybe 1/16"-1/8" worth. Wonderful!

Good times all 'round as usual... but fluid's DONE. Surprisingly, the fluid looked really great - has to be 7yrs / 25k miles old. Nice and green, Swepco as well I ASSume. I'm hoping my shifting improves, it was starting to degrade somewhat in terms of graunchiness / parsnicketinessitude, I was HOPING that was caused by being low on fluid maybe, as the shift shaft input seal was porous. We'll see.

onward, HO!

MSD Blaster coil - mounted to OE bracket. Check.

coilovers hung - check.

Next is to secure the MSD box to the OE side tin, and then the 'bay will be ready to take that whopper IN! (again, queue Ronnie's expertise!).

Was able to fully strip down the oil pump which was good as I know I had a leak from 'there, somewhere'... one of either the large 'rear main seal'-type seal, the tiny one on the impeller shaft, or the o-ring which separates the 2 halves of the gearbody. It's all re-sealed & together now and ready to hang on the motor so it can roll back under the car tonight. Sweet.

My paint bud shag'd my 2nd mismatched "Indischrot / Guards" bits last night, the spray-out swatch he'd brought is deadringer at least so 3rd time's the charm - get them back Thurs. for reinstall.

Also hit the front upper smile w/1000grit and some Back to Black (the way Ronnie likes it), as I figured the time was GREAT whatwith sans front bumper and all. I'd toyed w/ getting a new one since I had the access and mine's faded, but opted to save the $170 and try to rehab it as it's dead straight / flat still - came out great (no pic yet)!

Tried ordering that turbo silicone reducer from Darin, his only go up to 3" (Ronnie, you are ALL OVER this post today! Too easy!!). Got a 5"x2.5"x2" Venair from that link I'd posted above for something like $23 or $29.

Will start to look like a car again this week... rear brake & spring plate arm reassembly also this week.

Gettin there...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 05-06-2014 at 06:40 AM..
Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Paulie, you are positively CONSUMED with this project....and rightfully so! All this pretty new stuff going on; man, she's gonna be killer when she's done.

As to your upcoming maiden voyage, take care and don't forget the little stuff (rumor has it that your fan belt is about shot). These cars kinda like a little fannage when motoring down the road, ya know?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
amen broham... consumed is exactly it

that's why I'd said I don't know how yous all Rock Starz DO IT

being consumed by it is the only way to ensure a) it gets done, 2) you don't forget how to do it!

Like I'd said, it's like 7yrs of pent-up BS crap I'm finally attending to and addressing - just that it's EN-MASS!

however

I'm positively freakin GIDDY about not only installing some tastey / gofast bits - but - all the new seals, gaskets, cleaning, scrubbing, cleanin & spiffin that's getting nailed down. Just awesome stuff!

and

I'm having FUN and learning a SHIITLOAD about my POS

and

I've learned I've somehow found out how to bring out an uncanny generosity / selflessness in a SOLID NUMBER of good people... without which... I would be fookin DEAD.
JAKESTER
Martini RON!
Alfa John
Sir Cummings
Petey
JimboF
(just to name a few! I could go on for probably a whole page worth!)
and

all the restayouses fer the inspiration and words of encouragement (and disparagement!)!!!

Truly amazing people we are blessed to be surrounded by, certainly.

ps. dude, "shot" does not even BEGIN to describe my fan "belt" (belt is a stretch, it was more like a fan crustacean or fan nuclear aftermath remains belt) fretnot... did 'that' last week! All set there...

Last edited by krasuskyp; 05-06-2014 at 07:57 AM..
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Also odd, the shroud leaves a good 3/4" gap to the inner fender flare - wonder why? I have to shim that up @ some point to capture that airflow escapage.
Paul your car appears to be missing the following, reduculously overpriced, cooler-to-body seal entirely. Mine is missing chunks and needs to be replaced, but I think I will be making an alternative rather than spending $90 on a piece of foam rubber.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-207-353-00-OEM

Quote:
Here's to hoping that some lube'age of ze fan will resurrect it. Nooooo idea if it was running before, never even knew it was there sadly - but - it was prettttty darn tight to spin by hand. Would be nice to save it certainly...
Like I mentioned in that other thread, the fan thermostat does not trigger until 248 (getting close to the last white hash mark on the temp gauge) . . . mine comes on, but only on the hottest days and if doing stop-and-go driving (like running errands), and it is very obvious when it is running via the noise and feeling blast of super heated air from it.

Quote:
The f'n pump I got w/ the fluid from Amazon wouldn't guzzle the last 1/4 or so of the gallon (unlike Ronnie, Captain Googuzzler - good 'till the last drop!)
Good job on the "fingerbang" save with the FOD you introduced into the gearbox. Now see, that little slapstick mishap on your part is an example of cosmic, preemptive, retribution for that "Captain Googuzzler" comment, bit#h!!!

I would be interested in seeing a pic of the broken bit you found in the trans - maybe I, or someone else here, can ID it for you.

Good luck with all of your projects (progress on cooler is BOSS).

And PS -

Angry Martina Hill

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-06-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Paul your car appears to be missing the following, reduculously overpriced, cooler-to-body seal entirely. Mine is missing chunks and needs to be replaced, but I think I will be making an alternative rather than spending $90 on a piece of foam rubber.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-207-353-00-OEM

Like I mentioned in that other thread, the fan thermostat does not trigger until 248 (getting close to the last white hash mark on the temp gauge) . . . mine comes on, but only on the hottest days and if doing stop-and-go driving (like running errands), and it is very obvious when it is running via the noise and feeling blast of super heated air from it.

Good job on the "fingerbang" save with the FOD you introduced into the gearbox. Now see, that little slapstick mishap on your part is an example of cosmic, preemptive, retribution for that "Captain Googuzzler" comment, bit#h!!!

I would be interested in seeing a pic of the broken bit you found in the trans - maybe I, or someone else here, can ID it for you.

Good luck with all of your projects (progress on cooler is BOSS).

And PS -

Angry Martina Hill
Glad you enjoy at least 'something' of what it is I'm doing. Phew. Was getting worried you'd not approve!

So... been awhile since any update here - mostly as... I've been working on the car (not just reading books about their value, ya know). Making some decent headway on a number of fronts.

Motor / trans as of last night reside on the jacks still but in situ! Huge win there, mostly as What's Her Face's 'rent' for her garage bay was becoming impossible to oblige. Joy! Got the turbo and wastegate hung, which was a good win as I had to trim the tin and ensure alignment of the intercooler coupling. Took awhile, certainly.

Also did the CV boots this weekend, 'fun stuff'. Nice to have fresh bits tho. With no small amount of thanks to my Alfa bud John YET AGAIN. I swear, I'm so fortunate to be surrounded by such awesome freakin dewdz (muuuuuch difffffffffferent way than say RONKNEE(s) prefers to be "surrounded by dewdz"). Folks keep reaching out to me (not around, Ronnie) constantly checking in on where I'm at w/ this whole shebang and offering help. I think it's out of pity / sympathy when they see what I'm doing and know who I am - it's too painful to watch otherwise, I'm guessing? It takes a village, certainly! I've got a solid number of solid friends always offering solid help. Too damn cool.

Anywho, anyone know what this 'lil diddy might belong to? Found it nestled on the tin in and around the general vicinity of "under the WUR" (passgenger side, near breather abyss.

(^note the lack of gloves^, strutting mah uber manliness! OK, I ran out... I tend to favor them too - as I also hate being in meetings at work and having nasty fingers / nails at the table. Must be a banker thing, Chris? )

So, Ronalot... you said you wanted a pic of the busted tooth tip I'd found on the trans plug magnet... here's one, which also includes said fingerbang FOD retrieval (phew). Fme you say, eh?:

Motor should be bolted in tonight or so, and begin to hook up the peripheries. Len's FMOC lines should be here hopefully by the weekend and can get that sucker nailed down finally. My bud fab'd me up some mount brackets for the FMOC and valance, pretty cool. Pics to follow.

Course, I busted the nipple off on the temp sender on the OE cooler wrestling with it trying to break the 3" return line coupling. Heat & PB and cheater pipe = nothing. I'm a puny girlymon, I know. Annoying. Was only replacing it since all the other lines are new, it's in good shape and apparently will stay there longer than infinity. Oh well. Time to order a sender.

Oh, also... regarding the missing cooler perimeter seal - I hit up my local hardware store and scored a length of garage door seal - trimmed and glued it on, came out decent enough and will do the job... for $11.99. Um, yeah.

That'll "just" leave bolting the rear suspension / brakes back together, and wiring the MSD. Still need to order them pins / harness plug. What was that vendor source again? Someone here had refer'd me to it but I can't find it again d'oh.

tick frickin tock, biitches!

Last edited by krasuskyp; 05-19-2014 at 06:51 AM..
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
damn... a month+ has passed here - whoops

I've either been under my POS or in my pool and not really on the forum much, depends on the day / hour 8-)

FMOC DONE (Len's lines are STELLAR, for anyone looking for options!). Valance ON (fitment is 98%, 1/4" proud forward by the line input to FMOC and right fog is a C-hair proud - I'll finagle another day.). H1s refurb'd and done (relays await). Front wheels ON. Mirrors ON.

a good view of Len's lines and Ron's brackets:

(I've glued the perimeter seal since the pic - prob trimmed the cooler tin for the lines for no reason, there's room between it and the fender... will likely affix a blank off plate at some point):

all buttoned up:

Moving toward the business end... motor IN. Axles and all peripheries CONNECTED (save for the oil tank to scavenge pump fitting I'm still dealing with). Blaster coil mounted (had to order and fab a new coil wire, damn MSD coil has male output). Struggled w/ clipping the dist cap back on last night and called it a night.

MSD MOUNTED - my Martini bud Ron fab'd me up a buncha brackets (front valance, MSD, catch can, turbo support), and I mounted the MSD - the unit is taller than the trapezoidal OE fender wall bracket the CDI previously resided against, so this panel affixes to the unit to that:

Rear coil overs and swing arms bolted up.

Tonight... hopefully press in the rear studs and assemble the rear brakes - then wheels go on.

This week... figure out MSD wiring (never did hear from anyone on that plug and pin source mentioned here before... I'll likely buttsplice for test fire time being. Then mount exhaust (V-band'd and ready to go), then... test fire.

Fingers verymuch CROSSED. Oy.

Then off to corner balance / align. Once back I can nail down last items like D-Zug strut bar, replacement indicator / high beam stalk, H1 relays, shifter press fitting repair (weld or pin after 2x JBWeld fail), and finalize my brake ducting connections at the back of the valance.

THEN it's off to Monticello and turboPALOOZ'er!

This... has been... a colossal... ASSLOAD OF WORK. Been at it in earnest pretty much non-stop since mid Feb-ish? Project creep to the max - whoops. I can eaaaaasily see how / why so many of you here... are... er um uh... divorced / single!!!

Said it before, sayin it again... be DEAD w/o the selfless help of my local idjut friends (I think AlfaJohn's only helping me out to hone his skills towards a hopeful / eventual 911 purchase - hey, I'll take it!).

I'm just hoping another series of swift kicks to the nutes do not await me upon startup / shakedown. Wish me luck.

Last edited by krasuskyp; 06-30-2014 at 07:59 AM..
Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Dude ! we are on track to fire at same time ...had to order a heli coil kit for one of the fittings in the intercooler I bought from one of our pelicans Once it is bolted on the 112 will fill my garage ... OH ya !

Good to see my hard work is not alone ...

TIC-toc-TIC toc
Kozmo
Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
damn, you run 112 in that thang? Bastid! That smells soooooooooooo gooooooooooood! Jealous!

and

DAMMIT!

I fear bierz will be on me then...
doubting I'll have my exhaust on, MSD pin'd out, and oil line fitting finagled before you heli your IC... fawk! Sooooooooooo cloooooooooooose! I'm goin down swingin!!!

I moved to the strut bar last night, and - of course - was met w/ some nute kickage... sigh. Never ends.

Beautiful bit of kit it is. My front right fender bolt though had the bolt glued in from some previous fuchwad... no threads there in the inner capture nut (or any capture nut at all for that matter). Awesome. That's where the front brackets attach.

Hardware store run in an hour for something oversized to bite into the metal hole that remains. Super. Then, the washers provided which reside in the tower brackets are small enough that they nearly compress into the holes in the bracket they sit on, so new washers too. Surprised by that one, thankfully a trivial remedy.

Otherwise really simple install... afffffffffter one fookin jackhammers out the 12feet of undercoating slathered atop the towers! Thankfully mine cracked off looking at it crosseyed... this sh!!t is THICK! Pics don't do it justice - I shoulda snapped a before shot d'oh:

had a late night visitor:

my metalfabshop owning 930 bud cut me out these blanks - dust caps for the trailing arms where the torsion bar ends are capped. One must destroy the OE ones in order to free the arms from the stuck bars - and - Porsche decides to allow you to buy entire new arms and not sell the caps separately. GENIUS!

Soooooo, if anyone else is ever in this predicament - hit me up, I've got a spare 1/2doz or so for ya...

ps. dayyyyyyyum, Kozmonator... 3:45a.m. - madman! I've been pulling the plug by 2 by rule typically... yer a nut! Git'rdun! Be sure to video yer startup!!!

Last edited by krasuskyp; 07-01-2014 at 04:33 AM..
Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Noice progress Paul!! Just don't over do it staying up too late not gettin' enuf sleep and make... god forbid...mistakes. Seems you and Kosmo are in a race to git 'er done!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Wink oh ya !

Race ? nah ... it is who will be buying that "ICE COLD BREW"

LOL... you bought yourself 1 more day , started but new fuel system glitches , I think come track day you will be seeing a lot of ...

"TIC-toc-TIC-toc"

Kozmo
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Love that strut brace , almost bought one to... but I picked up a "Camber King" brace with mono ball mounts . Couldn't pass it up and it really fits nice .
Don't quit now almost there !

Kozmo
Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
MikeD! Lord knows I make my fair share of mistakes. Oy. Serenity now!

Thanks Kozmonator. The brace sure is purty jewelry. Loose the hood stops in process which I'll have to figure out (some rubber caps over the allen bolts there or something).

Didn't tie into the brackets yet as rear's still jacked - but this gives a good idea of the flex:

Will tie it down once it's back on the ground and I drive it around the block to settle it in again.

Chiselin away, tediously. Exhaust with new v-band is on now that MartiniRon fab'd me up a turbo support bracket (tricky bugger, manymany different planes of consideration goin on in thar!). And a real nice one for the catchcan. Whattapal!:

still need to find reducers from 3/4" hose to 1/2" fittings - suggestions?

my visitor's been hanging out all week, gone dormant - don't leave yer bevvy untended when goin for a squirt:

So, I've had these Teradacktyls in my driveway this year after 15yrs of being here - strafing my freshly painted A8 rear bumper and Slaab w/ the top down... numerous times, every day, same exact spot. Mocking me, I tell ya! Well, this is a new low. Found this the other night... car's not seen light of day since January mind you - WTF!?

Sh!!ttiness aside, today/tonight's out for work, but back at it tomorrow...

Old 07-05-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
DAM ! we keep going back and forth....

but you are making good progress , I have owned mine for 2 years and love to drive mine so paint and body will be next project . Most every ones cars that I have seen are so nice Just would hate to put them up against a tire wall I am looking forward to a new set of tires after "MMC"

Kozmo
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Nice catch-can bracket too!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Looks good, particularly the catch can setup.

My only concern would be the turbo bracket. I am not aware of the strength of that steel, but I would try and reinforce the 90 degree bend, since I fear it will fatigue over time and crack.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Was the car having a problem that made you want to install an aluminum catch can that is not as good a design as the offset inlet swirl type plastic one that's already in the car?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: