Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fibreglass roof

Ive been searching for an economic solution to get a roof on my 930,

Car in Question is a 77 930 and obviously it originally left the factory as a hardtop

A PO converted it to a Cabriolet in that conversion steel strengething has been run through the car in order to maintain rigidity whilst the roof was down,

I have since removed the Cab roof and all its mechanisms leaving a roofless car with the intent to install a hardtop roof, while ive found a few roofs at good prices they have all been overseas and as such the freight charge runs into the thousands which makes it too expensive,,

I may have found a solution but dont know if it will work,

Ive found a Fibreglass roof replacement for sale, a photo below shows the type it is,

will this work on a hardtop converted to cab then removed again?

My worry is installing the glass as it is heavy
If i get this will it bond ok? plus ill need to bet the side pillars,

Photo shows part and next photo hows car as it stands today

Thoughts and ideas as always will be most helpful appreciated and probably argued with at some point

Im urgent to get something done as i cant drive while its raining

The donor

The patient

Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Hi sir
Where you find fiberglass roof? I want to do same convert , can you share your source to me?
Many thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_tien View Post
Hi sir
Where you find fiberglass roof? I want to do same convert , can you share your source to me?
Many thanks!
This place in the US sells them

https://www.gt-racing.com/?s=22a
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

roof

Hi I have molds for the speedster hardtop and hump I did have this mold years ago lent it to a guy and never got it back .. I have also got a roof of a wrecked car and had it welded on but this is a massive job.. I can put you on to a guy here in Melbourne that will have a roof if you want to go that way..Paul
Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Could fiberglass provide the structural solidity of the original steel top?

If the vehicle came from the factory as a cab(and has all the internal structural upgrades), I would see no problem. But if as a coupe, the top was chopped off, and now a new top replacement being fiberglass as you suggest...that might not
work so well.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche 930twin View Post
Hi I have molds for the speedster hardtop and hump I did have this mold years ago lent it to a guy and never got it back .. I have also got a roof of a wrecked car and had it welded on but this is a massive job.. I can put you on to a guy here in Melbourne that will have a roof if you want to go that way..Paul
Hi Paul pm sent
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
PM Jim2. He recently converted a cab to a coupe.

He used 2 roofs to do this.

I do have some tubs that are both coupes but I'm not sure I want to cut them up yet. One of the Porsche wrecker must be willing to cut off a roof for you.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I wouldn't do a f/g roof for a street car unless you plan on putting in a full cage. Not to mention I doubt you will ever get the roll up windows to seal, or a rear window to fit correctly. I'd contact a Porsche recycler and see what they charge for the roof clip and rear glass. Have a shop weld it in with the car on a jig. I use to buy Porsche sections from Parts Heaven for my bus project, not that expensive.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rob, go for a steel roof from a donor car.
- if you could find one without a sunroof, that would be a bit special.

Just finished on my 944t racer a conversion from sunroof to non-sunroof, using a donor car roof.

Explored all options carefully, including fibreglass, kevlar, carbon, steel.

Steel roof conversion was a lot of work, but it is rewarding. Now every time I look at the steel roof, feel lucky I made the right choice.

You will not regret a properly done steel roof.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Gee i got Close This week i found a local selling (get this) a full body shell including wiring harness, all doors and glass front side and back for $650 delivered

I jumped out of my willies but turned out it was from a 996 2004 model so it wont fit ..Would have been perfect i could have cut the roof and sold the rest to pay for the cost of it..'

Still looking
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: