Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slantnose from HELL

I'd go .84 with an "O". It's not too big nor too small. Turbonetics started with the letter trims but now they are F#'s
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 04-16-2014, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

If you are going to the S366 then opt for the .91 divided housing. The .88 open housing isn't worth a door stop. In all practicality it should spool nicely but.... It doesn't. The divided .91 is night and day as far as spooling goes.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

So the stock config S366? That's like a 68mm turbine IIRC?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

A 177275 has a 66mm turbine.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

And you think it'll make full spool in 1st with a stock G50 3.50:1 1st????

Oh, just saw it's a 60mm. I want the 66!

Last edited by Tippy; 04-16-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

I think a "P" is too big. You should have no problem hitting full boost in 1st. Just curious, can you take a screen shot of your current timing map? You should also add a simple mechanical boost controller, so it will hold the wastegate closed longer till the threshold boost is reached. By not running a pressure differential allows the wastegate to open slowly right off the acceleration transition causing a slower ramp onto boost.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Yeah, that's why I bought a BC solenoid but haven't wired it up with my MegaSquirt.

I can get a screenshot in a minute. Been contemplating running like 20 or so degrees around no vacuum to aid spooling but haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

20 degrees ?!!!!!! Seriously,...........that's it? No offense, but, You have some tuning to do!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

No, no, no, I'm probably around 40 right now. Read that running lower numbers lugs the motor to aid spool.

That's how antilag works. I run 40 ATDC and the turbo spools with the car not even moving.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Ok, much better.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Tippy, I appreciate you taking the time to post all of this. I am learning a lot.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

What actually happens it you run too low timing especially in cruise zone, the EGT's will skyrocket. Car will cruise but plays hell on the valves and turbo. Inconel which the impeller shaft and wheel are made out of starts to melt at 1600 F. Anti lag retards the timing specifically to simulate load. But to purposely retard timing on your base map does more harm than good. Adjusting your map to an aggressive timing curve on the other hand will help spool up the motor, and add responsiveness.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Tippy, I appreciate you taking the time to post all of this. I am learning a lot.
No problem, love chatting about this stuff!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
What actually happens it you run too low timing especially in cruise zone, the EGT's will skyrocket. Car will cruise but plays hell on the valves and turbo. Inconel which the impeller shaft and wheel are made out of starts to melt at 1600 F. Anti lag retards the timing specifically to simulate load. But to purposely retard timing on your base map does more harm than good. Adjusting your map to an aggressive timing curve on the other hand will help spool up the motor, and add responsiveness.
Oh yeah, I think I'm around 45 degrees in places pre boost.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Any particular reason why your at 20 through 1200 RPM's? You could help off idle adding timing there but everything else looks fine for a single plug.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Open to suggestions, what do you think?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

We are playing around with a billet compressor inconel turbine wheel/shaft with ball bearing Chra in the k27 housing for guys that want oem look- i think the advances in aero in the new age stuff is unrealized for the most part in this niche. The k27 is a paddle wheel by today's syandards.

A stock location turbo with good flow better spool and massive boost recovery between gears will be fun ;-)

Cb
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Open to suggestions, what do you think?
Worked late, started to edit your map last night. I'll finish it tonight and post it, it should atleast crisp up off idle transition, the rest I leave alone.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Do you think Tippy's timing map settings would be OK for more or less any stock 3.3 930 engine with stock internals, EFI, solid/safe AFR's, and the usual bolt on items (IC, turbo, headers, muffler, no cat)?

My mapping is more conservative currently, however I have not had the benefit of lengthy tuning on a dyne, etc.

Sorry to jump into this thread - just curious as this seems like valuable info to me.

Thx!

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: