Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Loss of Power

New to posting on here. I have encountered a problem and haven't been able to diagnose the problem or successfully find a thread that addresses what I am experiencing.

I have a 74 911T with a rebuilt 2.7L that was converted to carbs mated to a rebuilt 915. I was on the highway cruising at about 65mph when I noticed that I was having to apply more and more throttle to keep the car at the same speed until my foot was eventually planted to the floor. No noticeable change occurred with the sound of the engine.

I pulled to the side, shut the car off immediately to try and figure out what had happened. Since I was in a bad place on an off-ramp I decided to restart the car and get off at the next exit. Car started, seemed to run okay except that the power felt weak, for lack of a better word. Any thoughts on what I would check first?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
How does it response if push down the throttle for a second? ( not driving )
If you drive normal, so not accelerating, do you also feel power loss?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Maybe brakes jamming on?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the condition persists I would suspect a clogged catalytic converter. That would be a perfect excuse to get a cat bypass.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
blnee,
Have you tried posting in the 911 Technical Forum? None of us in this Turbocharging Forum have carbs.

Did you notice if the temperature gauge was rising with this occurrence? It sounds like a air/fuel delivery problem as long as the oil temperature is not an issue.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
If the condition persists I would suspect a clogged catalytic converter. That would be a perfect excuse to get a cat bypass.
Were there CAT's on '74s?

Might just be a weak ignition problem, sparking but weakly. Coil, maybe?? Or, plugged up air filter (mouse living in there?).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've had lots of experience with rebuilding and rejetting multiple Weber, DellOrto, and Solex carbs on 4 cylinder BMW 2002's and 4 cylinder 912 Porsche's I used to have.
If this all happened in a short period of time it sounds like fuel starvation as in a fuel pump stopped working (may just be a dirty fuse connection) and then the fuel level in the carburator float bowls went down and the motor gradually loses power as it did.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Good point Mark. I did a little checking and it seems cats came aboard in 1978.

One less thing for the OP to check!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
blnee,
Have you tried posting in the 911 Technical Forum? None of us in this Turbocharging Forum have carbs.

Did you notice if the temperature gauge was rising with this occurrence? It sounds like a air/fuel delivery problem as long as the oil temperature is not an issue.
My passenger seems to remember the car getting hot but I don't recall that at all. My oil pressure gauge is inconsistent at best but I almost always keep an eye on the temperature gauge and I don't remember it being abnormal.

I posted over on the Technical Forum too. For some reason I didn't notice I dropped this in the Turbo section but I appreciate the suggestions so far. I will check the fuel pump and fuse and start there.

I haven't started it since this happened. My concern was that if it is oil pressure related I could damage something. Not sure if that is legitimate or not.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i would check fuel filter and fuel pump first.
if you have one of those small i am guessing clear fuel filters, they can clogg pretty fast.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All those guessing fuel filter win the office pool. Both inline filters (the little small ones) looked clear but upon taking them off dumped a bunch of sediment. Car started right up after replacing them.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of time and head scratching.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: