Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

NJ emission FAIL

So, brought the 930 in for bi-annual emission testing at the state run facility (overdue - was s'posed to be done in November, but the car was parked for the winter by then)...

I failed - high HC. I think my idle ignition timing is too advanced. Will investigate.

That's not the big FAIL though. Get a load of this:

I pull into the testing bay, guy (Inspection facility moron #1) tells me to shut off the car, I comply. Driver door is open, and I pull the key part way out of the ignition to silence the annoying door buzzer. Next he asks me to get out of the car and step over to the waiting area. Inspection facility moron #2 climbs in and struggles to find the ignition switch ("on the left" I yell at them)...next they are waving me over to the car...Inspection facility moron #2 broke the damn key off in the ignition switch!!! Having met resistance (remember that I pulled the key out partially), instead of assessing the situation, determining what's wrong, moron #2 just keeps twisting with all her might until the key broke

So, I spent an hour+ waiting for a locksmith who thankfully was able to extract the broken piece and I was able to drive home using the valet key...after failing emissions, of course

F_me...I think it may be time for NJ QQ historic plates so I don't have to deal with these idiots any longer.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Last time I went to NJ inspection was when I had my 85 Carrera. I allowed them to try and move it themselves, the guy started to screw my clutch. I kicked him out of my car and drove it myself. They weren't happy but the threat of paying for a new clutch was the motivator. Oh and get this..the only thing the car failed for was the factory air horns...idiots thought it was aftermarket. If your using your car less these days...QQ plates is the way to go.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I failed for high CO in December. I brought it to Powertech and they got it to pass.
I am good for two years now, but I am definitely going to get QQ plates this year so I won't have to deal with that again.

Jacob, did they pay for the locksmith? I would be fuming...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Same thing happened to me at a car wash in Texas...they broke the key off in the ignition...then tried to play it off as if NOTHING is wrong?!

Smog tech told me once high HC is usually the CAT is near or at the end of it's life.
#1 cause of cars not passing smog in CA is the plugs, so try that first.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

take pics- YOUTUBE ETC... Send it to Christie's office and make the biggest stink...

Sorry

Walt
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
beancounter

$100 from my pocket to the locksmith. I filled out a claim form, supposedly they will cover my out of pocket expenses.

Inspection facility moron #1 was actually giving me a hard time when I told him it was my only key...except the valet key. He said "this is why you should have a spare key"...I asked him "is this somehow my fault?"

Tilikum Turbo...can't be the CAT because I don't have one, and the car never had one, 1979 is non-catalyst from the factory (ohhh yeah baby!!!!). Plugs were new last season...my money is on ignition advance. CO was within passing spec. The car passed 2 years ago just fine - but was with a different ignition map.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

QQ is the only way to go in NJ if you own a car old enough.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No way i would i expect that some government DMV moron would know how to drive or start these cars, they are not idiot proof.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on the QQ tags. Easy as pie and no more hassles.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I registered in MD, and with at least 2 of my cars, the emissions inspectors have realized some of they're shortcoming, don't want the hassle.. so they wave me through to go inside the building and get my 2 year waiver!

One guy says the car is too low and we don't want to risk damage... the other guy said "oh, I don't want anyone hear to touch that car." I love it!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
beancounter

So I did a little tuning last night...had the wife drive the car while I was plugged in on the laptop, making ignition timing adjustments on the fly. Try that with your stock distributor!!

Anyhoo, the idle speed was a bit too slow, and the ignition was pretty far advanced at idle - especially considering its twin plugged. In order to keep the idle speed from being too high, the idle air adjustment screw was nearly down to the stop. Backed off the idle timing, adjusted the idle air to get ~1000rpm and she is ticking over a lot better, and noticeably cleaner from the tailpipe. I will make a few more fine tuning adjustments to the mixture and idle speed and retest - I think it will pass now.

I still might go for QQ plates but I like to have the car pass emissions...you know, for resale purposes
Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Another QQ advantage is there is no longer a need for the front plate. Only rear plate is required.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEVIL View Post
Another QQ advantage is there is no longer a need for the front plate. Only rear plate is required.
I did not know that! That is awesome! When did that change?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
all my cars are NJ QQ tags, no inspection needed
Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
$100 from my pocket to the locksmith. I filled out a claim form, supposedly they will cover my out of pocket expenses.

Inspection facility moron #1 was actually giving me a hard time when I told him it was my only key...except the valet key. He said "this is why you should have a spare key"...I asked him "is this somehow my fault?"

Tilikum Turbo...can't be the CAT because I don't have one, and the car never had one, 1979 is non-catalyst from the factory (ohhh yeah baby!!!!). Plugs were new last season...my money is on ignition advance. CO was within passing spec. The car passed 2 years ago just fine - but was with a different ignition map.
I am curious...looking at my distributor(and it's the 3.3L), there appears to be lot of play left on turning the distributor clockwise or ccw. It's a little right of center.

How much advanced can you move or adjust it in either direction before you reach a danger point(running 91 octane and 0.8 bar max boost). Engine is completely stock.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I would never trust the NJ DMV with my 930, that's pretty brave of you.

I usually take it to a Porsche/Specialty shop certified to do state inspections...I've been reluctant to get QQ plates though because of these two requirements:

- Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes
- Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way

Although unless you get pulled over, they wouldn't be able to know either of those things...
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
beancounter

I've been reluctant to do QQ for the same reason, but I have had Police officers suggest I do, and when I tell them my concern, even they say that its BS and there is zero enforcement. Even if you are pulled over, how is educational or exhibition purposes defined by state law? If I talk to a dude at the gas station about my car, isn't that educational for someone?

I checked with a private inspection facility, they sent me to the state facility...many shops no longer have the equipment to do this. Everytime the laws change, these shops have to upgrade their equipment and its expensive. A lot of them will only do inspections now on OBD-II equipped cars...they don't want to invest the $ to have the expensive gas analyzer around for us old car guys.

I haven't let a Porsche specialty shop touch my car in years (other than for alignment and corner balance). I've had more headaches with those guys than the NJ DMV ever gave me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDotLast View Post
I would never trust the NJ DMV with my 930, that's pretty brave of you.

I usually take it to a Porsche/Specialty shop certified to do state inspections...I've been reluctant to get QQ plates though because of these two requirements:

- Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes
- Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way

Although unless you get pulled over, they wouldn't be able to know either of those things...
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hmm...in that case I will probably get some QQ plates this week and not have to deal with inspections again.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I couldn't wait till my car turned 30 so I could get my collector plate. I don't like putting on plates of any kind, and don't even get me started on tabs in Seattle. but the col. plates are def. way cooler. I never ran a front plate. We don't have to go through emissions after the car turns 25.
What the cop told you applies exactly for Wa. state as well.
My car's never been to a car show. It is a collectable car though. Every time I drive it I'm doing something that relates to my collectable car.
There are, or at least there were a fair # of cops who don't have a clue about the law.
GL I've always loved your car.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
I did not know that! That is awesome! When did that change?
I keep a copy of the legislature from 2008 that says

39:3-27.4. Historic motor vehicles; registration, license plates, display
2. Any owner of an historic motor vehicle who is a resident of this State may register such motor vehicle under the provisions of this act. Application for registering an historic vehicle shall be on forms prescribed by the director. Upon proper application and payment of the prescribed fee, the director shall issue a special nonconventional registration and special license plate for each historic motor vehicle registered in this State. Such registration and license plate shall be valid during the period of time that the vehicle is owned by the registrant. The fee for such registration and license plate shall be $25.00. The license plate shall bear the word "historic" and shall be of such design and colors as the director may determine. Notwithstanding the provisions of R.S.39:3-33 or any other law to the contrary, an owner of a vehicle registered as an historic vehicle, or any vehicle manufactured before 1945, shall not be required to display more than one special license plate issued for that vehicle, which plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: